Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    I would definitely make him delete it while in my presence.

How would you do that?

How do you think? If he didn't want to, I'm pretty sure I'm quick enough to grab the phone out of his hand and delete it for him.

Thinking is hard, so I don't do it very often. How would you make him delete it?

ETA: you edited to answer and I didn't catch it. What you just described is assault.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

How would you do that?

How do you think? If he didn't want to, I'm pretty sure I'm quick enough to grab the phone out of his hand and delete it for him.

You do realize two things:

a) what you are describing is technically illegal;
    b) look up what happened with "The Fappening."
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

How would you do that?

Thinking is hard, so I don't do it very often. How would you make him delete it?

I'm not surprised.
  • FromNowtoNow
    Options
    Sometimes I love living in Quebec.

"In Quebec, the Quebec Human Rights Code grants all humans the right to their private life. For photography, this broadly-worded right allows each individual person in Quebec control over the use of their image (meaning, a photo of them).

The Quebec Charter Of Human Rights and Freedoms (PDF), Chapter I, 5.:
    Every person has a right to respect for his private life.

This was recently upheld by the Supreme Court of Canada in a case where a photographer published a photo of an individual in public, without the subject's permission. The image was nothing special, it was taken from a public place of a person in public, and did not injure their reputation. However, the Supreme Court of Canada said that the photographer should not have published the photo without the permission of the person photographed, and ruled in the favor of the subject of the photo. They did note that there are exceptions for newsworthy events, people who are in the public eye, like politicians or celebrities, or if the person was incidental to the photo, and not the main subject(s).

Aubrey v. Edition Vice-Versa Inc.

Wikipedia Article Summary of Case - The Court held that under Quebec law a photographer can take photographs in public places but may not publish the picture unless permission has been obtained from the subject."
  • fatcity66
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

How would you do that?

It's as legal as him taking a picture of me without my consent.
    It may not be legal for me to hit him either, but that doesn't mean I won't.
    I do illegal things every day. I bet you do to. Like speeding.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    And that's perfectly legal in most societies. It's what he does with it that may be a problem.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    Sometimes I love living in Quebec.

"In Quebec, the Quebec Human Rights Code grants all humans the right to their private life. For photography, this broadly-worded right allows each individual person in Quebec control over the use of their image (meaning, a photo of them).

The Quebec Charter Of Human Rights and Freedoms (PDF), Chapter I, 5.:
    Every person has a right to respect for his private life.

This was recently upheld by the Supreme Court of Canada in a case where a photographer published a photo of an individual in public, without the subject's permission. The image was nothing special, it was taken from a public place of a person in public, and did not injure their reputation. However, the Supreme Court of Canada said that the photographer should not have published the photo without the permission of the person photographed, and ruled in the favor of the subject of the photo. They did note that there are exceptions for newsworthy events, people who are in the public eye, like politicians or celebrities, or if the person was incidental to the photo, and not the main subject(s).

Aubrey v. Edition Vice-Versa Inc.

Wikipedia Article Summary of Case - The Court held that under Quebec law a photographer can take photographs in public places but may not publish the picture unless permission has been obtained from the subject."

That's how it should be.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure either would result in a gym membership suspension at my gym, seriously who the **** does this, that's some creepy *kitten*, womens butts in a freezer, stalker *kitten*.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Both are creepy and inappropriate.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    In the first example, the picture taker is creepier, but it is less creepy for the subject of the picture. (If you are sneaking, you *know* what you're doing is not cool)

Of course it is only less creepy for you until you stumble across pictures of yourself mid-squat floating around the internet. With a llama head photoshopped on.

In the second example, I guess there's a chance that the picture-taker is actually that oblivious, and sincere ...

Naaah. Option 2, less creepy, but more (idunno, insert a word that works for you here), because someone that brazen can *not* be right in the head.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    In the first example, the picture taker is creepier, but it is less creepy for the subject of the picture. (If you are sneaking, you *know* what you're doing is not cool)

Of course it is only less creepy for you until you stumble across pictures of yourself mid-squat floating around the internet. With a llama head photoshopped on.

In the second example, I guess there's a chance that the picture-taker is actually that oblivious, and sincere ...

Naaah. Option 2, less creepy, but more (idunno, insert a word that works for you here), because someone that brazen can *not* be right in the head.

He forgot that lifting weights can and more likely builds self confidence. He must be lifting wrong.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options

+1000000

I would change my gym to one that did now allow phones in the gym area.
  • DavPul
    Options

How would you do that?

Does speeding normally come with jail time on your planet?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would say option two ..

but I have never had either happen to me., to my knowledge…

I agree with this. However, my guy wants to get me some yoga pants that says "stop looking, this a** is taken" across the butt lol

• yopeeps025
    Options

How would you do that?

What are you two even arguing about?

• DavPul
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

How would you do that?

What am I ever arguing about? Usually nothing. I'm just easily amused
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

How would you do that?

What am I ever arguing about? Usually nothing. I'm just easily amused

:lol:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

+1000000

then I can't video my self on my own workout when I want to- which I do regularly.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »
    1. Both are equally creepy
    2. Both are equally okay
    3. I agree the guy is a dbag
    4. I agree the second one is a flirting attempt
    5. The gym is a public place and there are no privacy laws in effect
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?

I disagree that it is okay – this is a private business, not a place where the general public can just crash, and you can be told to leave at the discretion of management. OP is paying to be there and has the right not to be harassed. Put your sister, girlfriend or wife in OP’s position – do you want some dirt bag snapping pics of her while she squats?

This creepiness is why we can’t have nice things, and why “female only” workout areas are becoming more prevalent (they recently put up a curtain in the yoga area in a gym I go to keep rubberneckers from gawking).

What I want and what's legally actionable are not one and the same. The gym floor is not the same as the gym locker room. My sister, girlfriend, wife, and Jo are all fully clothed and in a public space. The camera takes an image of something they did in public and were fully okay with all eyes around them viewing. You ever go on vacation and take photos? Did you get signed permission from all the people in the background of the images you posted on your Facebook page? If those random people knew they in your Facebook Facebook photos, do you think they would be happy about that? Do you care?

Tl;dr: it's not cool, but no one is dead.

*waits patiently for excitable claims that every person whose image is posted on the Internet is marked for death by a serial killer*

I didn’t say anyone did anything illegal. But if illegality is the only standard for judging behavior, society is in big trouble.

The gym is not a public place, it is a private business. If you doubt this, try to walk in and start exercising without paying. There is a distinction between expectations of privacy on a public beach / park / street and privacy in privately owned areas – behavior can be restricted on private property (like gyms, restaurants, malls, etc.). People don’t have an expectation of having other gym members take pictures of them while working out – the creeps that do it should knock it off or be reported to management.

So you're totally okay if a strange guy takes a picture of the booty of your sister/girlfriend/wife while they are on a public Beach and posts it to instagram?

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion, that seems to be what you are advocating- if it isn't against the law, then anything goes. I totally reject that
  • DavPul
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

+1000000

then I can't video my self on my own workout when I want to- which I do regularly.

Or listen to music. Or take your own IG selfies. Or mfp between sets. Or log workouts in an app.

A no photo policy is cool, but a no phone policy would be much too restrictive, imo