So here's a gym 'etiquette' question

Options

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what lift you were doing, he took a picture without permission. Should have taken the phone away from him, deleted the pics and told him next time you'll power clean him through the wall.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Clearly neither is acceptable, but there's something creepier about taking the picture and not caring that the subject knows - it's almost confrontational... a power trip along the lines of 'yeah, I'm doing something any reasonable person would object to, whatcha gonna do about it?'
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I said that I'm sorry. What more do you want from me?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would have taken out my phone and taken his picture and said this is for my Dbag Instagram page.

I heart heart this answer the most lol.
    Well I don't think smashing their phone is proper gym etiquette either but that's probably what I'd do.

Both are equal in my opinion. Unless in the action of #1, their ninja skills are great enough that they don't get caught. Because then I can't be creeped out if I don't know of the actions existence.
    Honestly I have always felt honesty is is the best option, but I'm not going to lie, I was more annoyed the announcement about it, I spent the next sets of squats really fussy about about where he was in relation to me. So yeah I was surprised I was that annoyed.

The most effective, however, would be to just beat the living bejesus out him. If that's not something you can do on your own I promise you that you'll have no problem recruiting help by simply exclaiming loudly "Oh my god, why are you taking creepy pictures of me? Please... I've begged you to stop!!!!". Gymbros do love to feel useful, ya know.
    Yeah I've was trying to figure out how to deal with him if I was actually mid squat.
    And I almost asked a much higher better well known friend to come baby sit and make a scene if said douch was trying sneak more pictures .

No crisis for the night and day alerted the manager but I was surprised I felt more uncomfortable and more uneasy knowing he was going to that. Like dude. That's effed up!
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'd report that to gym management. Having been gym management once-upon-a-time, I'd have liked to know that.

Even if it didn't bother you too much, there's a reasonably high chance he's done it before/will do it again and that person might have a problem with it (besides being creepy, you'd be surprised how many people have been stalked, assaulted etc and that kind of behaviour can make those people especially feel very unsafe).

Telling management will help pinpoint this guy and maybe get him banned, especially if it's an ongoing problem.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The second is less creepy imo. I can't stand a sneak and I wouldn't want someone posting something without my knowledge.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    B. Not only creepy, but unaware that they're creepy, therefore increasing creep factor. In A, they know they're in the wrong or they wouldn't try to be secretive.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm going to need a link to that Instagram page to be able to, you know, reseearch the topic before giving a definite answer...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I would have taken out my phone and taken his picture and said this is for my Dbag Instagram page.

:heart:
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think both are creepy... I am not sure which one is better, I guess the first one since I won't know about it? The second one is that what kind reaction was he expecting from me by telling me he's trying to take a picture of me sqatting????? That I will be thrilled??

I would feel violated. Creepy and every time I squat I would wonder if someone is taking picture of me. errrr...

I once was doing hip thrust (isohold) and a guy was trying to do his dumbbel curl right in front of me about 4, 5 feet away. I gave him a questioned look and he walked away. I don't know what I would do if he stayed.....

I would report it to the management...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1. Both are equally creepy
    2. Both are equally okay
    3. I agree the guy is a dbag
    4. I agree the second one is a flirting attempt
    5. The gym is a public place and there are no privacy laws in effect
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Wow. Where are these gyms that interesting stories like these happen? The second one sounds like someone with zero game. Then again I am sure for him it might work on a day where a girl feels ugly . Think about it. You think this was his first time ever saying I want to take a photo of that girl's butt while squatting? I would say no.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?

I disagree that it is okay – this is a private business, not a place where the general public can just crash, and you can be told to leave at the discretion of management. OP is paying to be there and has the right not to be harassed. Put your sister, girlfriend or wife in OP’s position – do you want some dirt bag snapping pics of her while she squats?

This creepiness is why we can’t have nice things, and why “female only” workout areas are becoming more prevalent (they recently put up a curtain in the yoga area in a gym I go to keep rubberneckers from gawking).

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

I disagree that it is okay – this is a private business, not a place where the general public can just crash, and you can be told to leave at the discretion of management. OP is paying to be there and has the right not to be harassed. Put your sister, girlfriend or wife in OP’s position – do you want some dirt bag snapping pics of her while she squats?

This creepiness is why we can’t have nice things, and why “female only” workout areas are becoming more prevalent (they recently put up a curtain in the yoga area in a gym I go to keep rubberneckers from gawking).
    Well that why there is a curtain right?
    How-women-and-men-see-Yoga.jpeg
  • DavPul
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

What I want and what's legally actionable are not one and the same. The gym floor is not the same as the gym locker room. My sister, girlfriend, wife, and Jo are all fully clothed and in a public space. The camera takes an image of something they did in public and were fully okay with all eyes around them viewing. You ever go on vacation and take photos? Did you get signed permission from all the people in the background of the images you posted on your Facebook page? If those random people knew they in your Facebook Facebook photos, do you think they would be happy about that? Do you care?

Tl;dr: it's not cool, but no one is dead.

*waits patiently for excitable claims that every person whose image is posted on the Internet is marked for death by a serial killer*

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

What I want and what's legally actionable are not one and the same. The gym floor is not the same as the gym locker room. My sister, girlfriend, wife, and Jo are all fully clothed and in a public space. The camera takes an image of something they did in public and were fully okay with all eyes around them viewing. You ever go on vacation and take photos? Did you get signed permission from all the people in the background of the images you posted on your Facebook page? If those random people knew they in your Facebook Facebook photos, do you think they would be happy about that? Do you care?

*waits patiently for excitable claims that every person whose image is posted on the Internet is marked for death by a serial killer*

I didn’t say anyone did anything illegal. But if illegality is the only standard for judging behavior, society is in big trouble.

The gym is not a public place, it is a private business. If you doubt this, try to walk in and start exercising without paying. There is a distinction between expectations of privacy on a public beach / park / street and privacy in privately owned areas – behavior can be restricted on private property (like gyms, restaurants, malls, etc.). People don’t have an expectation of having other gym members take pictures of them while working out – the creeps that do it should knock it off or be reported to management.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Wow. Where are these gyms that interesting stories like these happen? The second one sounds like someone with zero game. Then again I am sure for him it might work on a day where a girl feels ugly . Think about it. You think this was his first time ever saying I want to take a photo of that girl's butt while squatting? I would say no.

This was me- at my gym- last night- a guy I know- he was from my old gym- so we talk every once in a while- but we aren't really friends- acquaintances.... anyway- yeah- he tried to take a picture and then tried to polish the turd by saying it was for his instagram page about beautiful girls or whatever. I think what was even worse is he showed me a picture- and it was this frothy thonged *kitten* in a jacuzzi- like don't play it off like it's for inspiring people when it's for adding to an *kitten* page..... like that's a different ball of wax.
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it- and I kind of feel like he should have just kept his mouth shut... I'd rather just not know.

secondly- no dating at the gym. ever. never ever ever. single- not single- and I never use my BF as an excuse- I don't date people from my gym. nope nope nope nope nope.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That whole thing is a big bag of creepy. It would throw me off of my squats for sure.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    See now, my response would be more along the lines of, "Dewd, you do that again, and I'm going to unrack these weights and then cave in your skull with this goddamned bar."

All I can say is that a well-endowed teenager, I did not get scrappy as hell in a vacuum.
  • DavPul
    Options
    2. Both are equally okay
    6. No harm, no foul

I didn’t say anyone did anything illegal. But if illegality is the only standard for judging behavior, society is in big trouble.

The gym is not a public place, it is a private business. If you doubt this, try to walk in and start exercising without paying. There is a distinction between expectations of privacy on a public beach / park / street and privacy in privately owned areas – behavior can be restricted on private property (like gyms, restaurants, malls, etc.). People don’t have an expectation of having other gym members take pictures of them while working out – the creeps that do it should knock it off or be reported to management.

So you're totally okay if a strange guy takes a picture of the booty of your sister/girlfriend/wife while they are on a public Beach and posts it to instagram?