Strength Training Question

Options
2»

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Should I go until I can't go no mo?

Only when in bed... Don't do it when lifting, especially not as a beginner doing free weights. The chances that you'll hurt yourself will skyrocket if you try squatting with legs that feel like you had just "gone until you can go no mo" and wobble all over the place.

Even if you decide to go all out, you should always leave one or two reps "in the bank", meaning that you stop when you start losing form. Using squats as an example, I know that I'm done when my squats suddenly have become knee extensions + good mornings. That is, my legs straighten and my butt scoots up, but the bar remains pretty much stationary, and I then find myself wrestling it up by extending my back.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »

Even if you decide to go all out, you should always leave one or two reps "in the bank".

Training to failure has it's place but you generally don't want to work to failure all the time and leaving a little something in the bank is good. Training to failure all the time is harder to recover from and can lead to injury. Working up to a max effort rep all the time is more like testing your strength rather than building your strength. "Test" your strength every six weeks maybe and working on building your strength the rest of the time.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I’d consider the following:
    Monday - 5x5 (compound movements)
    Tuesday - 45 minutes light cardio (walking, easy biking, or play)
    Wednesday - 5x5 (compound movements)
    Thursday - 45 minutes light cardio (walking, easy biking, or play)
    Friday - 5x5 (compound movements)
    Saturday - High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with a 1 - 3 or 1 - 4 work to recovery cycle for 5 - 8 cycles based on your recovery.
    Sunday - Rest (can be active rest with some mobility work or very light yoga).

I know I’ll catch some flack for this, but if you eat to maintenance and keep your carbs at low to moderate and get sufficient protein, you should be able to shed some fat while adding muscle. You’ll also see better strength gains if you push for heavier weights.

Excellent basic program outline!
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good tips on here I marked it so I can come back to it. Thanks OP for asking this.