cheese lovers

Options

Replies

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I think they mean processed cheddar. Real cheddar is barely known in non-english speaking countries.

Then again, real cheddar is rare in tbe US and Canada too and some people equate "cheddar" with processed cheese.

On first entering A Canadian supermarket, what they call "mozzarella" here completely blew my mind :)

NOT Cheddar:
    http://www.instagroceries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/compliments-old-cheddar-cheese-bar.jpg

NOT Mozzarella:
    http://www.instagroceries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/compliments-mozzarella-cheese-bar.jpg

I will not post images of the real stuff because I will surely crave it immediately but they're pretty easy to google.

I want cheese now :(

I see - it's a lost in translation thing. What is in those pictures is not the cheddar we have in the UK.

All is ok with the world again (especially after eating some real cheddar).
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Its not to offend anybody, only when you are used to such kind of cheeses than you have something like a disappointment when you eat for the first time cheese in the States :)

I'm from the UK - the cheddar we eat is not what is being talked about in this thread! It seems the name has been hijacked and used to describe plastic cheese!

Was never offended - I was rather confused!!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    :) yeah i understood that.
    The UK has some yummie cheeses and i always loved the Irish butter too.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just ate 4 ounces of goat cheese (by itself). Went over my calories. I don't care, it was worth it :) It doesn't happen that often. For me it's either smoked gouda or goatcheese. I don't have them often, and I try to eat it in moderation, but some days goat cheese is looking for me and there's no where to hide lol
  • jessshout893
    Options
    Laughing cow extra light triangles Are only 19 calories !
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cc215 wrote: »
    ravenzwart wrote: »
    Cheddar is well not cheese.

Whoa whoa whoa!! Cheddar is not cheese?!!!!????

Since when? Have I finally made the switch to a bizarre cheese free alternate universe?

Feeling more than a little shocked/unsettled/lightheaded at this news - off to eat "fake" cheese / "the delicious contender for the king of all cheeses - cheddar*" (*depending on which reality I'm in) to give me the strength to go on!!

I think they mean processed cheddar. Real cheddar is barely known in non-english speaking countries.

Then again, real cheddar is rare in tbe US and Canada too and some people equate "cheddar" with processed cheese.

On first entering A Canadian supermarket, what they call "mozzarella" here completely blew my mind :)

NOT Cheddar:
    http://www.instagroceries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/compliments-old-cheddar-cheese-bar.jpg

NOT Mozzarella:
    http://www.instagroceries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/compliments-mozzarella-cheese-bar.jpg

I will not post images of the real stuff because I will surely crave it immediately but they're pretty easy to google.

I want cheese now :(

I agree. REAL cheddar does not come in individually wrapped slices. In the US, those things are called "cheese food" because they are made with real cheese, but are processed with other things so they cannot legally be called cheese (same thing with Velveeta and packaged cheese spreads). Dairy farmers and cheese makers fought long and hard to make the legal distinction.

Real cheddar is not that rare, you just have to know where to look. Then again, I can pick up great local cheddars at my grocery so I am spoiled. I get a five year aged cheddar that is to die for. The dairy is in a little town about 30 minutes away and the grocery store (a regional chain) buys up their entire production except what they sell at their own store attached to the dairy.

ETA: the best blue-veined cheeses come from Iowa. They have the farms for the milk but they also have caves in the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi which are perfect for ageing the cheese.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Same here, I am in Quebec so I have access to delicious fresh local cheeses, even in the supermarket (depending on the chain), let alone the farmer's market and you can get it straight from the farms themselves too.

I think what the rest of the world sees as "bad American food" is cheep processed stuff that's easily available in the supermarkets. There are the same fantastic local products here as in Europe - artisanal cheese, bread, microbrewery beer (yummmmm!), fresh and yummy meat products, fruit preserves, liquors, you name it... of course there are, all the natural conditions are in place and the know-how was brought over centuries ago so why wouldn't there be?! The big, big problem is that they are a lot more expensive and harder to access than in Europe :(

ETA: Sorry, seems like hi-jacking thread... Back on topic - I would say it's better to spend your calories on real cheese, and skip the plastic stuff. If aged cheeses are not your thing or are too expensive money- and calorie-wise, cottage cheese is more protein per calorie and more easily obtainable. But cheese-type spreads, melts, slices and what have you... Not for me, thanks.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Same here, I am in Quebec so I have access to delicious fresh local cheeses, even in the supermarket (depending on the chain), let alone the farmer's market and you can get it straight from the farms themselves too.

I think what the rest of the world sees as "bad American food" is cheep processed stuff that's easily available in the supermarkets. There are the same fantastic local products here as in Europe - artisanal cheese, bread, microbrewery beer (yummmmm!), fresh and yummy meat products, fruit preserves, liquors, you name it... of course there are, all the natural conditions are in place and the know-how was brought over centuries ago so why wouldn't there be?! The big, big problem is that they are a lot more expensive and harder to access than in Europe :(

I agree and the reason for that, IMHO, is because the US and Canada are both so large and spread out. To get from mountains to farm fields to vineyards to semi-tropical weather in Europe is usually a matter of hundreds of miles and a few hours. To get from one of the same things to another in North America, you have to travel thousands of miles. Obviously, there are a few exceptions.

• meg_balh
    meg_balh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Kraft makes a new fat free cheese that is super low cal. It tastes a little bit different but to still hit your calorie goal and have cheese at the same time.. totally worth it! B)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    That was my downfall on Paleo, no cheese. Forget it. Keep your quinoa, I am doing Atkins; where a hunk of cheese will do nicely for dinner, and a wedge of Brie before bed. I have died and gone to heaven with this new lifestyle of LCHF.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Yes but a lot of it is cultural, too. I'm also in Montreal, and we are spoiled here. I don't always remember that, but occasionally I get forcefully reminded -- like the time I was in Calgary on business and was asked if I wanted "cheddar or swiss?" in my sandwich wrap... only to learn too late that she didn't actually mean cheddar or swiss, she meant yellow plastic cheese or white plastic cheese?

I am a devotee of artisinal cheese, fresh baked bread, craft microbrews, single-origin chocolate, fresh fruit preserves, etc. I spend more money to buy them because to me, they're worth it. My calories are more precious than my dollars. Besides, restricting calories means that I'm eating all these things slowly, so I can afford to spend a little extra on them because I'm buying less food overall.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay, i was trying to say those slices are not cheese and are not something i crave for. I will try not be so outspoken anymore.
    So for everyone who felt insulted: I am sure every country has lovely cheeses and has some cheeses that arent that great. Maybe it was a case of lost in translation....and it wasnt my intention to hurt or offend anyone ( or there local cheese).

But those yellow/orange slices compared to old amsterdam ore a nice blue cheese or a nice goat cheese, no way they should count in the same category.
    In the risk of being missunderstood again, edam in poland isnt always like edam here. I understand now thats the case with cheddar also.

All this thinking/ about cheese, i am going to have some tonight, mmmm.

• earlnabby
    Options
    ravenzwart wrote: »
    Okay, i was trying to say those slices are not cheese and are not something i crave for. I will try not be so outspoken anymore.
    So for everyone who felt insulted: I am sure every country has lovely cheeses and has some cheeses that arent that great. Maybe it was a case of lost in translation....and it wasnt my intention to hurt or offend anyone ( or there local cheese).

But those yellow/orange slices compared to old amsterdam ore a nice blue cheese or a nice goat cheese, no way they should count in the same category.
    In the risk of being missunderstood again, edam in poland isnt always like edam here. I understand now thats the case with cheddar also.

All this thinking/ about cheese, i am going to have some tonight, mmmm.

I just bought a nice chunk of brick cheese and am looking forward to eating some tonight. (Brick is a surface ripened rather sharp cheese that is kind of like a milder Limberger. It is called "Brick" because the curds are pressed with clay fired bricks)

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ah....fellow cheese people unite and so good for getting in that calcium too.

My solution was to reduce the amount of cheese I eat per day. It does constipate me which is another motivator to lower my cheese intake.

I do leave it off of sandwiches, burgers, etc...Your more pungent cheeses can also be a substitute for salad dressings, esp. feta for me.

I would rather just have an ounce of extra sharp cheddar as a snack.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You just eat less of it... a LOT less of it :(

I'm French too living in the US so it helps some because good cheese is so expensive here, but still. I remember going to Whole Foods and buying $20 worth of cheese and a baguette and eat half the cheese and the whole baguette. I was actually craving a camembert sandwich last week so I bought a baguette and an overpriced camembert and made myself a small sandwich (with maybe 1/6 of the baguette and less than 1/4 of the cheese)... and it still clocked in at 400 calories. *sigh* I used to eat 5 times that for a meal.

For Christmas we got 6 fantastic cheeses from Wisconsin as a present, and I had to go through them one ounce at a time... oh that was such a pathetic amount of cheese. Needless to say I got to have maybe 3 servings by the time they were gone.

ETA: fat free and low fat cheese are not cheese.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    oh dang i have to order some Wisconsin cheese lol

And i was just spoiled in Holland with my cheese. Made some myself and got all my cheeses from the local cheese maker/farmer.

Lived the country life and swapped my home made jams, bread mayonnaise etc. with them.
    Eggs, grew a lot of my own veggies and fruits.

Here i use/ate a lot of Parmesan and feta and blue cheese now. Well when it fits in my calorie allowance. Salt is the main killer for me.
    But i spread it out over the week so i satisfy my spoiled taste.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My solution to cheese and calories was to fall in love with GOOD cheese. GOOD cheese is only made in Europe and they don't export it, believe me. I can only afford to go there once a year, so I am safe. Besides when I have good cheese, wine and bread it takes a looonnnggg time to savor each bite. So, I don't consume as much as when I am shoveling down the American dreck that passes under those names. Oh, to be sitting on the beach near Gallipoli with my Italian friends, a slice of peccorino and a glass of Salentino.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This thread inspired me to pay a visit to my local cheese shop at Atwater Market and to pick up some wedges of Oka Classique, Gruyère, and 14 Arpents. Mmmmm, cheese.

diegops1 wrote: »
    My solution to cheese and calories was to fall in love with GOOD cheese. GOOD cheese is only made in Europe and they don't export it, believe me.

Untrue. There are excellent cheeses made right here in North America. You just have to know where to look for it.