cheese lovers

Options
1235»

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    diegops1 wrote: »
    My solution to cheese and calories was to fall in love with GOOD cheese. GOOD cheese is only made in Europe and they don't export it, believe me. I can only afford to go there once a year, so I am safe. Besides when I have good cheese, wine and bread it takes a looonnnggg time to savor each bite. So, I don't consume as much as when I am shoveling down the American dreck that passes under those names. Oh, to be sitting on the beach near Gallipoli with my Italian friends, a slice of peccorino and a glass of Salentino.

That's just not true at all. First of all, there are cheesemongers here who can import fantastic European cheeses and the FDA is loosening it's restrictions on unpasteurized. Second of all, there are cheese producers here as well who make fantastic cheese. Doe Run Dairy, for example.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh, and raw milk cheese is legal and is quite common in Quebec. Our French heritage wouldn't allow for anything less.

I like reading cheese blogs for inspiration and visiting local cheesemakers. However, my best advice is to find a cheese specialty shop you like and trust, and to go there for recommendations.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    diegops1 wrote: »
    My solution to cheese and calories was to fall in love with GOOD cheese. GOOD cheese is only made in Europe and they don't export it, believe me. I can only afford to go there once a year, so I am safe. Besides when I have good cheese, wine and bread it takes a looonnnggg time to savor each bite. So, I don't consume as much as when I am shoveling down the American dreck that passes under those names. Oh, to be sitting on the beach near Gallipoli with my Italian friends, a slice of peccorino and a glass of Salentino.

That's just not true at all. First of all, there are cheesemongers here who can import fantastic European cheeses and the FDA is loosening it's restrictions on unpasteurized. Second of all, there are cheese producers here as well who make fantastic cheese. Doe Run Dairy, for example.

Some good ones around here are Widmer's and Carr Valley. There are many excellent North American cheeses. You just have to either know where to look or be in a good location.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Too many good cheese makers here in Quebec to list them all. Here are just a few:
    https://fromagesdici.com/