"cheat" meals and "free" days.

Options
1235»

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I have Aunt Flo visiting me unexpectedly this weekend, and my freaking cravings have been off the chain! My Friday started out crazy, guys. Forgot to take my bag to work, and had no breakfast or lunch with me. At noon, I slowed down and was planning on getting a salad while our staff room had lunch out...then the doctors decided to come in, and I was back at it. Finally managed to wolf down some peanuts from the vending machine at like 1400hrs. Lol, during my hour drive home, I could think of at least three things I wanted "so bad" from every restaurant I wanted!"

I tell ya it's hard during this week to determine what is actual hunger/cravings, and what your uterus is trying to make you believe you want/need! Lol

And also, no, I did not submit to it. As I did say in my original post the term "cheat" was used loosely, as I do eat whatever I want to. Some people seem to have not read that part. :blush:
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I believe for someone on a weight loss plan, "cheat days" or "cheat meals" are a path for failure and disaster. If you are someone looking forward to your cheat day, as you approach your goal weight I think you will have cheat periods instead of meals because you are more comfortable with your weight and feel you can get away with just a little bit more. Gradually that little bit more will become some more and eventually you will end up having those cheat meals most of the time thus falling into the weight gain pitfall once again.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do, I call them free days. It's usually a Saturday. I stay below my suggested calorie intake all week, except for that day. I don't over do it on the portion, but I get to taste something I normally wouldn't eat.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I do, I call them free days. It's usually a Saturday. I stay below my suggested calorie intake all week, except for that day. I don't over do it on the portion, but I get to taste something I normally wouldn't eat.

See, this is what I mean! Say a coworker has a birthday, and a store bought cake is brought in, you'll turn it down, because let's face it, store bought, mass made, once frozen cakes aren't that great. But if you know you're going to grandmas, and she's making that amazing Italian cream, you're gonna have a slice, and not worry as much!
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or cheat days but if I feel like having something that is going to make me over my calorie goal, I eat/drink it without worrying, as long as its not an everyday occurrence. Labelling it a cheat meal set me up for failure for the rest of the day. And having a cheat day made me eat sooo out of control because it was the one day where I could eat whateverrrrr I wanted and then it took me a good few days to get back on track. Doing it this way, works better for me. I eat what I want, in moderation, stay within my calories most days, and on some days if I go a little over, whatever, I will just make sure I don't go over the following day.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or days. I maintain a larger-than-usual deficit several days per week so I can afford to splurge on weekends (I like my Friday boozing, okay), but I maintain my weekly deficit by doing so. The only times I really don't count at all are my birthday and Thanksgiving. Otherwise, if I go over my calories I log it and try to adjust for it in the following days, but also try not to sweat it too much. If my loss slows, it slows, but I'll still get there in the end.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I don't have them. I had too many cheat "years", and that is how I got morbidly obese. It is counter productive to my goals and once on the "slippery slope" it is too hard to stop for me. Now that I am a normal weight, it just ain't happening for this old lady.

As in all things related to diet, weight and exercise, do what is right for you and will help you reach your goals and maintain when you get there.

It is a new way of life for some of us.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I haven't had what I would call a cheat day since I went into maintenance mode a few years ago. I exercise 6 days a week so I don't worry about having extra food during the day anyway.
  • chiilipepper
    chiilipepper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do cheat meals once a week only. I replace one of my meal plan for a meal that has more calories and definitely not in plan such as a Steak, burger or even fries. Once I do then, I can see how fast I drop weight and my body resets again. I wont recommend doing a whole day of cheat meals
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I can eat my favorite chocolate or a donut or something and fit it into my calories/macros, but when it comes to meals I can't. So I do consider it a cheat meal (even though many hate this phrase). I am aiming at one cheat MEAL (not a cheat day!) every 5 days. But I'm hoping I can make that once a week instead :)
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My "cheat" meals are usually if there's some kind of party or if I'm going to a restaurant without nutritional information. I still log, and definitely try to overestimate on those days (and I don't do cheat days, if I'm going to have a meal that goes over, the rest of the day is on point) . There were I think 2 days out of the past 42 that I quick added like 3000 calories one night on my birthday, but I make sure that for a couple days after I have an additional deficit each day. So far it works (lost 25 pounds!) and I never feel guilty
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Fair question, but I can't say I have one particular meal I crave that will instantly put me over my day's calories. I do tend to align my overages with 'special' occasions, like my birthday, the superbowl, holidays. I still log those days, just am completely okay with a slower loss that week. Though your post about Mexican has me craving a bit now.....
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    danaberge wrote: »
    I feel this way. If I want to eat something, I eat it. I log it and then i'm accountable for what I ate. If I go over, it's because I wanted to. There are things that I wish didn't have calories... but that's fantasy. So, If I really want it, I have it and deal with the calories.
    Many time I have turned down "okay" looking cake, cookies, treats because I just didn't feel it was worth the calories. Other times... you just have to guesstimate and enjoy. Enjoy life!!

^^^ This!
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My woe actually calls for a night where you eat things that spikes your insulin to reset your hormones. I gain around 4 pounds the next day but it comes off within 3 days. Seven days later I am usually down another 2 or 3. My next planned night is Saturday and I am already down another 1.2 from last week.

I also do not have cravings during the week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have not 'cheated' since I never deprive myself - if I want something, I fit it in. I still rarely go over 1300 -- usually ~1250 (yes, I weigh *everything* that goes in my mouth if made at home, including lettuce! I'm below my goal enough most times that I don't sweat dinners out. Still count the calories but understand it's probably not completely accurate)... until last night. Husband met a big goal so we went to a Brazilian Steakhouse to celebrate. Ate less than 200 calories before dinner and told myself I'd sample everything and even have dessert!

Made it through ~8oz meat and some cheese rolls before I was so full I was *ill*. STILL feel nasty today. I can't even look at food, and feel like my stomach is full of rocks. I'm all puffy from the likely insane amount of sodium. I've had nothing but my 90 calorie morning coffee and even that was enough to send me back to 'urrrgh' territory.

Never again XD

:( This sounds awful. How can that be sustainable?
    Clearly you don't do Brazilian steak houses. I do this regularly- about once a week- or every other week. It's not something you do EVER day- 1.) it's expensive and 2.) eating that much meat daily is a bit difficult.
    Have not 'cheated' since I never deprive myself - if I want something, I fit it in. I still rarely go over 1300 -- usually ~1250 (yes, I weigh *everything* that goes in my mouth if made at home, including lettuce! I'm below my goal enough most times that I don't sweat dinners out. Still count the calories but understand it's probably not completely accurate)... until last night. Husband met a big goal so we went to a Brazilian Steakhouse to celebrate. Ate less than 200 calories before dinner and told myself I'd sample everything and even have dessert!

Made it through ~8oz meat and some cheese rolls before I was so full I was *ill*. STILL feel nasty today. I can't even look at food, and feel like my stomach is full of rocks. I'm all puffy from the likely insane amount of sodium. I've had nothing but my 90 calorie morning coffee and even that was enough to send me back to 'urrrgh' territory.

Never again XD

*arrow pointing up. "this!"

agreed, how can that be sustainable.. yikes and yikes
    also- not a daily thing. Have you ever GONE to a brazillian steak house? It's all you can eat meat- you're damyum right I don't eat all day before I go down there!!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Never again XD

Clearly you don't do Brazilian steak houses. I do this regularly- about once a week- or every other week. It's not something you do EVER day- 1.) it's expensive and 2.) eating that much meat daily is a bit difficult.

The post said 8 oz of meat and some cheese rolls.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Never again XD

The post said 8 oz of meat and some cheese rolls.

well that's just a sad showing at the table- I agree.

When I took my food scale- I was surprised- I only put down 20 oz of meat.

considering they do not weigh it for you- and they bring it almost one meat at a time- odds are she ate way more than 8 oz of meat.

And the cheesey puff things are bread poppers with cheese- they are probably 150 calories a piece and it's more than easy to eat 3-4 at a time.