Anyone try taking supplements like Forskolin ? or Garcinia Cambogia ?

Options
Anyone tried supplements typically said to be recommended by Dr. Oz - I know technically he does not endorse but the supplements have been on his show?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If Dr Oz recommends something I try and avoid it...
    As for Garcinia etc It's all useless stuff designed to suck money out of desperate people. And yes,I tried it, it did nothing
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz doesn't really have too many fans on this site. I would skip over the "supplements" and just create a reasonable deficit and you should be golden :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's a waste of money. Use MFP as intended and add a little cardio. You're good to go.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Supplements that actually do something:
    Caffeine
    Protein
    Creatine

End of list.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    No magic pill out there. None of us would be here if there was. Calorie deficit. That's the only thing that works. Save your money.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Listen to these people. They know what they're talking about. Don't use anything you've seen on Dr. Oz.
  • melfahnlander1988
    Options
    Yes I've tried the garcinia pills and personpersonally it did nothing for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I personally think John Oliver covers this topic very well

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WA0wKeokWUU
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've never heard of forskolin. What is it?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

FIFY psulemon
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    FIFY psulemon

Thanks... I updated my post.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a garcinia cambogia/green coffee/raspberry ketone blend. I also take green tea extract and a lower caffeine fat burner. All of those were $5-$10 at Walgreens and WalMart for more than a month supply, since I only take them in the morning. I also drink yerba mate, Cruz de Malta, which I get for about $10 for 1kg(2.2lbs) at my international market.

To be perfectly clear, I don't expect any of them to burn fat, or help me lose any weight directly. If they really do burn fat, then that's great, but I doubt it. The reason that I take them is to manage my hunger levels, and make staying within my calorie limits as painless as possible. I also "supplement" almost two gallons of water per day to keep my stomach always full. Many people taking any of the supplements that I listed think they can just have a sloppy diet, and magically burn fat off of their bodies while in a caloric surplus or maintenance, but it just doesn't work that way. I'm not sure if any of the supplements that I take really work, or if it's just a placebo effect that causes me not to be hungry, but I buy the cheapest stuff possible and it's not expensive for me. If you're not sensitive to caffeine you're probably better off just drinking black coffee, but I mix it up to limit my caffeine consumption.

As far as products that I know really work, I take BCAAs before workout, protein powder immediately after workout, and creatine daily. The creatine made me gain about 3-5 lbs, but since it's water weight, I don't really care that the scale moved up. I don't expect to gain muscle, but my goal is to keep as much muscle as possible during my cut.

Another product that helps with weight loss that I've tried, but don't use now because I find it disgusting, is shirataki noodles. Just add a low calorie sauce like you would regular noodles. They are zero calories if you don't get the kind mixed with tofu, but the texture is like rubber bands...YUCK. Some people swear by the stuff though, and say you get used to the texture, so give it a try.

Either way if you do buy some supplements, don't spend a lot of money. The only real secret is just to be at a caloric deficit, and eat enough protein to avoid muscle loss. You don't need to go overboard on the protein, just enough to spare muscle.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of forskolin. What is it?

Me neither. I was wondering the same. Guess I can do some research, but I'm not interested in taking supplements anyway.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I seriously read forskolin wrong.....cough*
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My father and I collectively have taken every diet supplement I can imagine, herbal and not. I'm obviously no diet expert, but I can tell you this. None of them ever did anything (except a few that made me jittery). I didn't lose any more weight with a balanced diet and the pills than I did eating a balanced diet without the pills. Its all in your brain. Since I started MFP I've lost more weight just being aware of my intake than any diet pill.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Haha same same! :o:#
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

Me too...maybe that's what it's made of?? Oh Lord.

Here's a good rule of thumb I use when dealing with Dr. Oz and his ilk...
    Whatever Dr. Oz recommends, I then do the opposite.

And this is why I'm friends with both of you... because I'm nestled in the gutter between you guys.

Fore!!

giphy.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    sUhuYn5.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Oh thank all that is holy I'm not the only one.