low carb help please

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dmberreth wrote: »
    Help please...im trying my hardest on a low carb diet. Yet while I track what I eat my nutrition says I'm hitting 100g a day in carbs! !! On an average day I will have,
    2 poached eggs and 2 bacon - breakfast
    - 2 boiled eggs - 10:30 am snack
    - 4 egg frittata with spinach, ham, tomato & cheese - 12:30 dinner
    - handful of Brazil nuts & peperoni - 4:30 snack
    - butternut squash soup & smoked sausage - 7PM tea.

Where am u going wrong?

Tomato will have sugars in it, and will increase your carb count.
    Brazil nuts tend to be carb heavy.
    Butternut squash can be very carb dense, and the TYPE of sausage you have can possibly be loaded with fillers or sugars - more carbs.

Cravings are normal when first starting low carb, but what is often overlooked is that you need an alternative source of energy, once your body burns through your glycogen stores. Traditionally, low carb has been best combined with high HEALTHY fat, and after time, your body learns that it can burn fat for fuel instead of glycogen - and your cravings for sugar/carbs (your body trying to tell you I NEED FUEL HELP) will go away.

More than anything else though, getting your body used to using "cleaner" source of energy, be it sugar, carbs, fats, proteins, etc will benefit you more than subsisting on pop tarts and pizza and the like.

LOL at the bolded part…

energy is energy ..does not matter whether it comes from a pop tart or broccoli …

overall diet and dosage is what matters...
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with trying to track carbs with MFP is it sucks. The carbs you want to cut are the sugar carbs. The other carbs, the ones that fall under soluble and insoluble fiber do not count towards your carb load. Soluble fiber is a special class of fiber that will be consumed by your gut microbiome. Insoluble fiber passes through to the other side, if you know what I mean. For low carb only track the sugar carbohydrates. Easy.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Why what? Why am I on this diet? For weight loss

A lot of people will question why you are on a low carb diet because it's unnecessary for weight loss. If you find a low carb diet is a good tool for you to lose weight and sustain that, then I would recommend checking out one of the low carb groups. Personally, i like a balanced approach, moderate carbs, fats and protein. But you need to find a lifestyle that you can sustain. If low carb is hard, it may be beneficial to change strategies.

But if you are low carb, you want to increase fats.. nuts, avocado, creams, full fat dairy.. etc..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

OP, I help mod the group on the other end of that link. Click on the Launch Pad, and we have some FAQ links there you might be interested in. Or just ask any questions of the group. We're pretty active.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    For me personally, low carb is for me. My current aim is to be between 30-50 minus fiber count and I've been able to stick to it pretty easily. I'm down 50 lbs with what has felt like almost no effort, which has never been true before. I have been at my current calorie counts in the past and the scale wouldn't hardly budge, I would have to white knuckle myself through every pound lost. I didn't even start recording what I was doing until recently because I was previously just avoiding common carbs and not really tracking them. Now that I'm halfway through my weightloss goal I want to keep track of them.

My secret is to eat the food you love, just find ways to make them low carb as natural as possible. Find a sweetener that works for you, play with almond flour, coconut flour, and protein powder as your flours, play with fiber, browse blogs for recipes. I've eaten everything you can think of, bread, donuts, crepes, pudding, ice cream ect, without cheating. I make the foods I want acceptable to my diet and delicious. This is what makes it a lifestyle change rather than a deprivation marathon which also results in ending up at the same weight or worse than before.

Love the foods you eat, and make them work for you. You should be enjoying every mouthful, mealtimes should be this happy time that you're looking forward to because you have this great healthy meal you are looking forward to. There are so many great blogs out there dedicated to this. Just search out what you want such as "Ice cream" then add "low carb high protein" onto the tag and you're set. Read through the recipes carefully because as you can see in this thread some people's low carb differs from others because they have different goals.

On the low carb, moderate protein, and high fat diet I actually struggle to eat enough every day because I am so full and so satisfied.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are carbs. Some vegetables are more carby than others. Squash is pretty carby.

I actually think 100g of carbs a day is pretty low, but I consider my diet "moderate carb" as it's usually between 150g and 200g a day. However, I've never eaten "moderate carb" to lose weight... I just make protein and fat more of a priority. Both of my bosses eat a very low carb (and often ketogenic diet), so they keep their carbs at 50g or less per day. They don't eat a lot in the way of veggies.

As mentioned above, a calorie deficit is required for weight loss. How you choose to eat to create that deficit is personal preference. If you enjoy eating a low carb diet and can see yourself eating that way long after you have reached your weight goals, then do that. Just know that for long-term success, you have to find a way of eating and exercising that you're happy to maintain for the rest of your life.

I also think it's important to note that you can lose weight and be fit/healthy while still eating carbs - including things like pizza and chocolate or whatever. There are lots and lots of people here on MFP who live that every day. I've lost 86 pounds and have greatly improved my fitness level, strength, and endurance while eating both "clean" and "dirty" foods.

A lot of times when people first start out on a new diet/exercise program, they try to adhere to rules that are usually totally unnecessary.
    Just eat in a way that makes you feel best. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gonzanab wrote: »
    You shouldn't count vegetables as part of low carb. I recommend counting carbs that are from breads, pastas, and other sources of food if you want to stick with the low carb regimen.

why don't vegetables count as carbs???

I could be wrong but i took this as you should be looking at net carbs???
  • ashleymarsh1989
    Options
    Thank you all very much for all your advice
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Too many rules for me. I think I will just stick with a calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    gonzanab wrote: »
    You shouldn't count vegetables as part of low carb. I recommend counting carbs that are from breads, pastas, and other sources of food if you want to stick with the low carb regimen.

why don't vegetables count as carbs???

I could be wrong but i took this as you should be looking at net carbs???

iDK …too many rules…

just eat less and hit macro/micro goals..simple and it works for everyone...
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I disagree sorry...consuming 2000 calories of veg & protein is alot more beneficial that 2000 calories of pizza

well no one is saying just eat 2000 calories of pizza…however, if you did and that was a deficit you would lose weight.

2000 calories in veg and protein =2000 pizza

Again eh
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Why?

I would ask the same. Why does anyone who wants to try to play around with their macros on here come under the Spanish inquisition each time they post?

;-)

• ndj1979
    Options
    I disagree sorry...consuming 2000 calories of veg & protein is alot more beneficial that 2000 calories of pizza

well no one is saying just eat 2000 calories of pizza…however, if you did and that was a deficit you would lose weight.

2000 calories in veg and protein =2000 pizza

Again eh

if you can find a study that proves that wrong, please post it…

but don't go off on a rant about hormones and what not, which was already shown to not be true in the other thread that you posed that in …

I know science and math are tough subjects but it is basic math….
  • flyboy1
    flyboy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Going low carb is the only way I can lose weight. After much research it is very healthy woe. It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. I find it much simpler with less cravings than the "balance" woe.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    flyboy1 wrote: »
    Going low carb is the only way I can lose weight. After much research it is very healthy woe. It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle. I find it much simpler with less cravings than the "balance" woe.

It is the calorie deficit not the low carb that makes you lose weight. Low carb is just a way to create a deficit.