BMR and calculating calories needed to lose ! Help !

hi , so ok , I'm not good with numbers or calculations at all , tbh I'm dyscalculate. I wondered if someone could help me , my BMR is 1298 , how many calories would I need to be eating to lose weight ? I don't know how to work it out and feel abit of a fool for not knowing something probably so simple .

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Stats?
  • StaceM87
    StaceM87 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    5ft3 110lbs
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You want to calculate your TDEE (daily maintenance calories) not your BMR.
    With very little weight to lose you should select a small deficit to give you a slow rate of loss.

What does MyFitnessPal recommend for you with a 0.5lb weekly weight loss goal?
    (Remember that MFP goal is plus exercise calories as it's not a TDEE calculator.)
  • StaceM87
    What's TDEE ? Sorry if I'm coming across as dumb ha ha
  • StaceM87
    And how do I calculate that ?
  • Bogditzy
    Bogditzy Posts: 110 Member
    edited January 2015
    These is the guide I used to calculate my required calories. Very good :)http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

To calculate bodyfat, I used this : https://www.linear-software.com/body-fat-calculator.html
  • Liftng4Lis
    Sounds like you're at a perfect weight, why are you trying to lose weight??
  • StaceM87
    My TDEE is 2247 so how do I work out from that how much I need to lose ?
  • StaceM87
    Questions about why I want to lose will not be answered , it's my choice , I know not to go too low , I've been there before , it's not healthy
  • Liftng4Lis
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I wouldn't recommend weight loss at all. You're already at the low end of healthy.

If you're unhappy with your body composition (ratio of body fat to muscle) then lift weights, eat at maintenance or a tiny surplus, and get enough protein.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I wouldn't recommend weight loss at all. You're already at the low end of healthy.

If you're unhappy with your body composition (ratio of body fat to muscle) then lift weights, eat at maintenance or a tiny surplus, and get enough protein.

This. You might want to consider your body composition. You probably just need to tighten things up a bit.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    At 5'3" 110, you don't need to lose anything. If you check the BMI calculator here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/, you will see that you are actually on the low side of normal weight.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Have you considered having your body fat calculated in a Bod Pod or working with a trainer and nutritionist? Your scale number may not get to the number you want (or remember being at another point in your life) if you are more muscular yet you could actually be stronger and healthier at a slightly higher scale weight.

After years of rx steroids and major weight loss and gain, I've had to learn it is not all about the scale. I now have a wide variety of measurements to help me judge my health and fitness (e.g. tape measurements, body fat, fitness testing, etc)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2015
    If your TDEE is 2247, and you need to lose a small amount of weight: your goal should be no more than .5 pounds per week. That means a deficit of 250/day. 2247-250 = 1997.

The key to having a small deficit is that any amount of approximation on your intake will KILL your deficit. So weigh all solids, be aware of liquid calories, etc.

Its not for me to judge your goals. So thought I'd just answer the question you asked. BUT (I know, there had to be a but right?) if you are more concerned with body shape/look than the number on the scale: make sure you're doing weight training to tone, tighten.