My best friend just had a heart attack, is there any way I can help him?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea, thank you katkins!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom for a person to want to do something about it. Their idea of rock bottom may be different from yours. You can either distance yourself or be his support, but you can't change him as only he can do that himself. Good luck OP.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    If he's "just" had a heart attack, I would go really easy. He probably needs to follow the advice of his medical team on exercise, and now might not be the time to throw himself into the gym if he's not used to it. I didn't qualify for cardiac rehab and I would have found it so helpful - if that's available for him, it might be more appropriate than trying to judge the right level to hit for in a gym.

I found that what I really needed at the beginning was just moral support. Everybody tries to jolly you along, and not many seem to recognise the high risk of another attack shortly after the first, or the stress of going through that experience. What I really appreciated was people who could understand that I was afraid and support me, instead of fobbing me off with false reassurance. I'm just thinking that if he's already depressed, maybe it's the emotional support that will be really important - and that help with the depression might help him to sort out the other lifestyle stuff.

I think it's lovely that you care so much :).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You can encourage him to seek psychiatric help for his depression, you can encourage him to follow the cardiologist's advice and to keep up with his appointments, you can let him know you are there for him if needs to talk, and that's about it.