Has anybody tried walking as exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• NancyB422
    NancyB422 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »
    I try to "brisk" walk at least 2 miles a day and double up when I can. Ive lost 35 pounds with just walking and diet.
    At work Im sitting at a desk much of the time, I use my two 15 minute breaks and get a mile in each break.
    THIS - is encouraging! I work for myself and I have a terrible boss LOL! I use an Up 24 and it alerts me when I've been idle for 30 minutes and that thing is always buzzing on my wrist.
    - I have a treadmill nearby and I'm going to have to really set a schedule and get more walking in. My breaks are usually just running to the bathroom and back and lunch is standing up at the kitchen counter eating (an actual nutritious meal or smoothie).
    - As it is I had to put an alert on my Up24 to tell me to stop working at the end of the day!
  • jaystepper4life
    Options
    Walking is a great mix combined with strength training. I have a fitbit it tracks my steps, miles, calories and more it also links with MFP. Add me we can motivate each other
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am planning to brisk walk at least 2km for 45 mins, 3x a week involving ascending a 6 flr flight of stairs (6km/week) since it's the only possible exercise I can get from being a full time university student.

Walking is a great form of exercise, but what the heck is this?
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Walking is awesome. It is good for your bones, it gets the blood flowing, and can very gently lift your mood. One of my favorite things to do is take a stroll after a good meal, it settles my food nicely in my stomach and makes for a pleasant digestive experience. A casual stroll is very mild in terms of exercise, though healthy nonetheless, but walking can be done to varying degrees of output and training effect. Some of the most grueling exercise sessions I've ever done were walking over varied terrain and elevations at a 4 to 4.5mph pace with about 80 to 100lbs strapped to my back for 10+ miles
  • VeganChristy
    VeganChristy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My whole weight loss journey started because I went for a walk one day because I was so stressed about a math final I had (while already married, with 4 kiddos!!!) It felt good, so I did it again the next day. And the next. I walked off my stress and 60 lbs!

I now run, lift, P90X, etc...still love a good walk!

Don't underestimate the power of walking. : )

P.S. Nobody has "free time" to workout once married, working & having kids. But if you want to be better at all those things, you have to take care of yourself first.