Sugars

Options
13»

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok thank you! Do you have any suggestions though on what the sugar intake should actually be like?

I think the World Health Organization recommends that less than 10% of your daily Calories come from ADDED sugars. For example, if you're on a 1200 Calorie diet, you should consume less than 30g of added sugars (12fl oz of coke has 39g of added sugars), while you should consume less than 50g of added sugars if you're on a 2000 Calorie diet.

I'm also almost always over my sugar goal (around 70-90g typically), especially on days where I eat more than a serving or two of fruit. I ended up plugging my normal food diary into the USDA's super tracker (the tracker is able to distinguish between natural and added sugars) and discovered that most of the sugars I am consuming are from natural sources, and I only tend to consume about 5-6g of added sugars a day (typically more if I need to treat hypoglycemia).
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This discussion has been more helpful then you all know! After reading what everyone wrote I realized that due to my activity level, I work out 7 days a week alternating between cardio and strength training, that I was not taking in enough calories and that my sugar is fine! I literally felt like I was STARVING by the end of the day so my adjusted calorie in take was 268 calories more than I had been consuming! I also changed the percentage of protein and carbs I have been consuming. I hope this will help because my previous diet wouldn't have been sustainable. I needed more food! Which is opposite of what I had been thinking. It's actually a relief. Not sure I would have been successful without help from you all! :)

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Cool!!
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Holy cow a sugar thread that didn't explode. Congratulations to you, OP. You have achieved the MFP equivalent of a unicorn.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Holy cow a sugar thread that didn't explode. Congratulations to you, OP. You have achieved the MFP equivalent of a unicorn.
    Because there have already been 20 threads this week on sugar. I guess people are deciding to let people that are clueless remain clueless. The attempts to help are pretty futile.

Also OP seems totally reasonable and isn't arguing with all the advice she's getting, which is awesome.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Haha sorry if this was a repeat post. This is my fourth day with MFP I do appreciate all the advice however. :)