Is phentermine safe ?! Please help !!

Options

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Many people have MD degrees, including Dr. Oz. Just because someone on the internet says they have an MD does not mean they do, and even if they do it does not mean their advice is golden.

You asked my qualifications and I answered. I don't care if you believe me or not, it doesn't change reality.
    In fact, if you are an MD, I would think that giving medical advice online without knowing one's medical history would be bad practice.

Agreed. I gave no medical advice. I advised that your blanket statement that all diet pills are dangerous and inherently ineffective is both wrong and ignorant.
    Reading what many others have written here in this very thread leads me to believe that it is not safe. It sounds like glorified speed.

My qualifications? I have a QCS-Queen of Common Sense.

P.S. Years ago I took diet pills and a liquid diet aid, both of which made my heart race and made me paranoid, just like I was on speed.

Well then I guess everyone's an expert hey? Someone else makes a claim, you assume they're an expert, so you regurgitate the claim, then the next person assumes you're an expert, they regurgitate it... it's just one big expert-driven circle jerk. The FDA has a billion dollar budget exclusively to study food and drug safety, but I guess they don't need to do that... they could just ask you.

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I was on phentermine several years ago and didn't last more than a few days. Couldn't sleep, had the jitters and heart palpitations, and I felt like I was high on meth. No thanks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Many people have MD degrees, including Dr. Oz. Just because someone on the internet says they have an MD does not mean they do, and even if they do it does not mean their advice is golden.

You asked my qualifications and I answered. I don't care if you believe me or not, it doesn't change reality.
    In fact, if you are an MD, I would think that giving medical advice online without knowing one's medical history would be bad practice.

Agreed. I gave no medical advice. I advised that your blanket statement that all diet pills are dangerous and inherently ineffective is both wrong and ignorant.
    Reading what many others have written here in this very thread leads me to believe that it is not safe. It sounds like glorified speed.

My qualifications? I have a QCS-Queen of Common Sense.

P.S. Years ago I took diet pills and a liquid diet aid, both of which made my heart race and made me paranoid, just like I was on speed.

Well then I guess everyone's an expert hey? Someone else makes a claim, you assume they're an expert, so you regurgitate the claim, then the next person assumes you're an expert, they regurgitate it... it's just one big expert-driven circle jerk. The FDA has a billion dollar budget exclusively to study food and drug safety, but I guess they don't need to do that... they could just ask you.
    You're amusing. :)

Have you even been reading the replies here? The majority of people in this thread share many unfavorable symptoms. People have described similar symptoms with other weight loss pills. Yeah, just ignore those replies and tell people it's safe. That's real ethical.

You and I both know I'm not giving medical advice. That I came across as doing so is within your perception only.

I stand behind my words. People can take it or leave it.

Weight loss pills are just a quick fix. They won't work unless you eat at a calorie deficit, so why not just eat at a calorie deficit and throw the pills away and save some money? Really.

I don't give a hoot if you're a doctor or not. Your qualifications are irrelevant in this situation. If I had medical qualifications, it would be the same. To me, on this internet forum, you are a participant-no more, no less, and your opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else's.

Oh, and by the way, on an internet forum such as this, nobody's an expert, not even you. ;)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    [quote[/quote]
    No weight loss pill is safe, and they are not necessary.[/
    quote]

And what medical or pharmaceutical college do you belong to? Stop giving medical advice on an online forum as an uneducated layman.

Charmed, Zdeff. What medical advice are you referring to? ;)

T
    Your incorrect pronouncement that no weight loss pill is safe, obviously. Pills such as phentermine are proven in rigorous scientific studies to result in weight loss; the same validation is not true of your unfounded opinion.

In other words, claiming that a medication prescribed as indicated by a physician is dangerous is ignorant medical advice, and claiming that the pills are ineffective is factually incorrect.

Leant to know a secret. And really? Just because someone has as it is always a good IDs to check medication labels, especially if you.
  • jordanmyrick100
    Options
    For some reason I am unable to edit my post, so I am going to add some things via comment that I really should have said in my post to begin with.

I would like to start on a positive note, by giving a huge thanks to everyone who answered my question based on the topic . I wanted to go through and give a personal comment to each reply, but I am time restricted. But please know that I am grateful and thankful for the replies that pertained to the question about phentermine.

As for the people answering the question with a question ... I really don't need your rudeness, I thought that myfitnesspal was a safe haven and support group for a goal we are all headed towards. I thought I would find support here, not a bunch of rude overgrown children. What have I done in the last 2 month is none of your business, and rest assured I haven't been sitting on my butt , waiting for the weight to magically fall off. You know nothing about me, my life or my daily struggles. I am still baffled by the sheer amount of rudeness in some of these replies.

Please stop throwing around the term "morbidly obese" , while I realize that I am obese, I don't really appreciate how rude some of you are being about it. Especially considering that I ASKED ABOUT A DRUG, AND PEOPLES EXPERIENCES WITH IT. NOT YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT WHAT CLASS OF OBESITY I FALL UNDER .

Yes, I am FULLY AWARE that one will not lose weight without healthy eating, and exercise. I should have made that clear in my post. I know this is not a miracle drug , or magical pill.

Thanks.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    For some reason I am unable to edit my post, so I am going to add some things via comment that I really should have said in my post to begin with.

I would like to start on a positive note, by giving a huge thanks to everyone who answered my question based on the topic . I wanted to go through and give a personal comment to each reply, but I am time restricted. But please know that I am grateful and thankful for the replies that pertained to the question about phentermine.

As for the people answering the question with a question ... I really don't need your rudeness, I thought that myfitnesspal was a safe haven and support group for a goal we are all headed towards. I thought I would find support here, not a bunch of rude overgrown children. What have I done in the last 2 month is none of your business, and rest assured I haven't been sitting on my butt , waiting for the weight to magically fall off. You know nothing about me, my life or my daily struggles. I am still baffled by the sheer amount of rudeness in some of these replies.

Please stop throwing around the term "morbidly obese" , while I realize that I am obese, I don't really appreciate how rude some of you are being about it. Especially considering that I ASKED ABOUT A DRUG, AND PEOPLES EXPERIENCES WITH IT. NOT YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT WHAT CLASS OF OBESITY I FALL UNDER .

Yes, I am FULLY AWARE that one will not lose weight without healthy eating, and exercise. I should have made that clear in my post. I know this is not a miracle drug , or magical pill.

Thanks.

People asked further questions to get to know your situation better.
  • jordanmyrick100
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Thanks.

Your comment was very nice. I wasn't referring to your comment. And I'm sure you're right. I'm probably being overly sensitive.

• lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The risks aren't as high as they once were.

Phenfen have been gone from the market. Those are the ones that cause serious complications.

Phentermine, has it's side effects. It affects some people more than others.
    It's only meant to be taken for a short period to help you change your habits.

If you rely on the pill alone, you will lose weight, but it will come right back plus some more on top of what you weighed before.

If you actually take advantage of it's benefits, stick to a meal plan that will carry over after you discontinue the use of the pill, and develop healthier habits (such as exercise), then you will likely continue these habits long after the pills have been discontinued.

I started in October, and I discontinued this week. The hard part is getting the cravings back, but I learned to no longer reach for the unhealthy things and I've lost more weight off of the pill this week than I have the past month. I've dropped 35 lbs in 3 months, so it works, but I also did my part by making sure I didn't UNDER EAT. Now, I'm making sure that I don't over eat.

Yes, phentermine works, but you need to do your part as well.
  • jordanmyrick100
    Options
    lizfiz50 wrote: »
    The risks aren't as high as they once were.

Phenfen have been gone from the market. Those are the ones that cause serious complications.

Phentermine, has it's side effects. It affects some people more than others.
    It's only meant to be taken for a short period to help you change your habits.

If you rely on the pill alone, you will lose weight, but it will come right back plus some more on top of what you weighed before.

If you actually take advantage of it's benefits, stick to a meal plan that will carry over after you discontinue the use of the pill, and develop healthier habits (such as exercise), then you will likely continue these habits long after the pills have been discontinued.

I started in October, and I discontinued this week. The hard part is getting the cravings back, but I learned to no longer reach for the unhealthy things and I've lost more weight off of the pill this week than I have the past month. I've dropped 35 lbs in 3 months, so it works, but I also did my part by making sure I didn't UNDER EAT. Now, I'm making sure that I don't over eat.

Yes, phentermine works, but you need to do your part as well.

Thank you. Do you feel any withdrawal from stopping it ? That is one of my major concerns.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Your comment was very nice. I wasn't referring to your comment. And I'm sure you're right. I'm probably being overly sensitive.

The thing about MFP is that there are a lot of people who are not going to sugar coat the information. No one is actively trying to hurt someone's feelings. You will get many opinions, it's your job to decide which advice you follow and which advice you ignore.

But when it comes to something like medication, you really need to make sure you have an in-depth conversation with your doctor, and if he cannot answer the questions to your satisfaction, get a 2nd opinion. With medication, everyone reacts differently.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Beeber48 wrote: »
    I am a registered pharmacist. Phentermine is considered safe if used under a physician supervision who knows your medical conditions. Does it work? Yes, I have taken it to kick start my dieting and "shrink" my stomachBut you still need to eat right and exercise. It is basically like an amphetamine which decreases your appetite and gives you energy. The biggest side effect is increased heart rate and being jittery, which it is recommended to start at a low dose, 15mg. If you have the tablets, 37.5mg, they can be broken in half. You should take the pill after breakfast and only once daily if just starting it. It will give you enormous energy, wakefulness, at beginning. As with the old phen-fen combos, this can still cause cardiac abnormalities, but the older combos were very dangerous. If a person does not have a medical or family history with cardiac problems or high blood pressure, it could be taken safely. It really does not work past a 3 month mark, which they recommend 3 months on and then take a break from it. Some states even have laws regarding this. If taken chronically, you do become addicted to the "speed" part of it and should always ween off at end to avoid withdrawal symptoms. As for your asthma, I need to research more and do not have the references at home but will post again, not quite sure about safety if asthma is getting worse. Hope this helps!! I go back to work in two days and will look up and post

The drug does not shrink your stomach. There is no need to kick start your dieting.

They don't shrink your stomach, but I think this person meant to say that it makes you get full with less food volume. That, I agree with. When I don't watch what I eat, I can put away an entire banquet. When I eat less for a long time, I get satisfied quicker with less food.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I took it for a few months. Helped me lose 55 lbs. I had no trouble sleeping at night, the only side effect I got with it was dry mouth.

It isn't for everyone but it can work for some.

ETA: This was 4 years ago and I have not put that weight back on.
  • jordanmyrick100
    Options
    I took it for a few months. Helped me lose 55 lbs. I had no trouble sleeping at night, the only side effect I got with it was dry mouth.

It isn't for everyone but it can work for some.

ETA: This was 4 years ago and I have not put that weight back on.

That is wonderful to know. Thank you. And congratulations on your success.
  • jordanmyrick100
    Options

Thanks.

The thing about MFP is that there are a lot of people who are not going to sugar coat the information. No one is actively trying to hurt someone's feelings. You will get many opinions, it's your job to decide which advice you follow and which advice you ignore.

But when it comes to something like medication, you really need to make sure you have an in-depth conversation with your doctor, and if he cannot answer the questions to your satisfaction, get a 2nd opinion. With medication, everyone reacts differently.

Very , very good advice. Thank you. I will get a 2nd opinion.

• Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have taken it since Nov and I only could not sleep for the first 2 days, I dont have any side effects and it works great for me! I have lost about 27 lbs and I am on my month three (about half way). My Doctor has done a good job managing me- making sure I was eating enough and checking blood pressue- everything was fine. It does help me with my cravings, I dont have any mood issues or picking at skin-I see my Doc in a few weeks for my three mo check up-Overall it has worked wonderful for me. When it is time to go off it we have a ween plan into place so I dont just stop taking it. I think it has saved me to be honest. I was almost 300 lbs about a year ago and to lose 150 lbs is alot of work!!! For me this has pushed me along to get to a healthy weight so I dont have major issues from obesity in the future! I know it is not for everyone. But to know how you are going to react you have to try it for yourself- good luck!
  • jordanmyrick100
    Options
    Jaxsonjess wrote: »
    I have taken it since Nov and I only could not sleep for the first 2 days, I dont have any side effects and it works great for me! I have lost about 27 lbs and I am on my month three (about half way). My Doctor has done a good job managing me- making sure I was eating enough and checking blood pressue- everything was fine. It does help me with my cravings, I dont have any mood issues or picking at skin-I see my Doc in a few weeks for my three mo check up-Overall it has worked wonderful for me. When it is time to go off it we have a ween plan into place so I dont just stop taking it. I think it has saved me to be honest. I was almost 300 lbs about a year ago and to lose 150 lbs is alot of work!!! For me this has pushed me along to get to a healthy weight so I dont have major issues from obesity in the future! I know it is not for everyone. But to know how you are going to react you have to try it for yourself- good luck!

Wow ! Way to go ! And thank you for sharing.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. No weight loss pill is safe, and they are not necessary.

You can take the pill, but you won't lose weight unless you eat less calories than you burn.

Why waste money on something that is unnecessary? I'd throw them away.

Being morbidly obese, you can eat more than the average person and still lose weight.

I have noticed all your response posts in this topic. Not everyone loses at a deficit like you keep saying. Some of us have sever,y damaged metabolism a. You can say BS al, you want, but years of abusing my body with this 1200 calorie low fat diet garbage and I cannot lose at all. Deficit or not. If I eat low carb 800 cals or less a day no exercise cal eat back, I will lose, but that's not realistic for life. So again, not all the same.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    No weight loss pill is safe, and they are not necessary.

And what medical or pharmaceutical college do you belong to? Stop giving medical advice on an online forum as an uneducated layman.

Charmed, Zdeff. What medical advice are you referring to? ;)

The only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Pills won't work anyway unless you eat less than you burn.

Sorry calling BS on this and any further comments about eating at a deficit.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Beeber48 wrote: »
    I am a registered pharmacist. Phentermine is considered safe if used under a physician supervision who knows your medical conditions. Does it work? Yes, I have taken it to kick start my dieting and "shrink" my stomach. But you still need to eat right and exercise. It is basically like an amphetamine which decreases your appetite and gives you energy. The biggest side effect is increased heart rate and being jittery, which it is recommended to start at a low dose, 15mg. If you have the tablets, 37.5mg, they can be broken in half. You should take the pill after breakfast and only once daily if just starting it. It will give you enormous energy, wakefulness, at beginning. As with the old phen-fen combos, this can still cause cardiac abnormalities, but the older combos were very dangerous. If a person does not have a medical or family history with cardiac problems or high blood pressure, it could be taken safely. It really does not work past a 3 month mark, which they recommend 3 months on and then take a break from it. Some states even have laws regarding this. If taken chronically, you do become addicted to the "speed" part of it and should always ween off at end to avoid withdrawal symptoms. As for your asthma, I need to research more and do not have the references at home but will post again, not quite sure about safety if asthma is getting worse. Hope this helps!! I go back to work in two days and will look up and post again
    Can you tell me if you have seen the "combo" used. Belviq-Phentermine? Known as Bel-Phen? My dr. Just added the Phentermine to my 2 a day Belviq. Just curious.

• kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well, I took it twice, and regained the weight and then some both times. I felt mostly fine on it though, except for two major things. First of all, three months after stopping it, my hair started falling out in a big way. Research hair loss after a VLCD and you will see how common it is. My hair is still noticeably thinner around the hairline, which I hate, even though the hair loss stopped.

Second, I had a freak reaction, which was a rash in my armpits that took a year to fade. It's been years now, and I still can't wear regular deodorant. I couldn't wear anything at all for two months (in Florida!) but now I can use one of those crystals. When it gets really hot, it comes back. The second time I did the appetite suppressants, I didn't actually use phentermine. There's another drug that starts with a D that they offered instead. I used that and had no rash. But that freaking rash is/was awful. It took forever to pin down to the phentermine, and it was only when I quit and it started to slowly heal that we realized it wasn't an acquired allergic reaction to deodorants.

I really, really suggest you avoid phentermine.