Exercise but no weight loss

Options
Hello, I recently picked up running again after a couple years off. (Had a baby) Previously I lost a lot of weight quickly when I ran, but it's been 2 weeks now of 5 days a week running 30 minutes each day at 5mph and no weight loss. I am also following my calorie intake to a T, and not going over. I also have been eating healthy foods and not eating out or junk food. Can anyone give me advice on why my weight isn't moving? I have no medical problems and have been successful in losing weight this way in the past. Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There are many possibilities. Besides you eating more than you think, the first thing that comes to mind is that you may have decreased other activity while upping running.
  • paulm34
    paulm34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So although your dieting and running and burning fat, your also building muscle. Don't change anything. Your body will level out and over the next few week u should start seeing the scale tip in your favor.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    paulm34 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So although your dieting and running and burning fat, your also building muscle. Don't change anything. Your body will level out and over the next few week u should start seeing the scale tip in your favor.

No, you're not building muscle on a calorie deficit. Please don't tell people who are new to this that they are gaining muscle mass. You can only do that on a surplus.

If you just started all that running, you could be retaining water. If you're weighing your food on a food scale and sticking to your deficit, you should see the scale drop soon. Also, how are you calculating your exercise calories and are you eating them back?
  • isa474
    isa474 Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What is your calorie intake? You should be around 1200 to 1300 at the max to shed some pounds. Uping your protein to carb ratio will help you lose weight also. Watch that sugar intake. Best wishes in ur journey
  • arditarose
    Options
    isa474 wrote: »
    What is your calorie intake? You should be around 1200 to 1300 at the max to shed some pounds. Uping your protein to carb ratio will help you lose weight also. Watch that sugar intake. Best wishes in ur journey

How can you tell someone how many calories to eat without knowing their stats?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Nope, nope, nope. Even if she has been assigned 1200 cals based on her stats, she should be eating back at least half to properly fuel her body. I do 1200 + half of exercise calories and I lose steadily.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The issue is MOST LIKELY that you are underestimating calories in and overestimating calories out.
    ALSO weight loss isn't linear and can sometimes take time to show on the scales due to fluid retention etc. 2 weeks is not nearly long enough to be worried about.
  • isa474
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Your right to an extent. As a woman its recommended to do no more than 2000 daily calorie intake assuming she's around that figure. Based on her activity it seems that she has plateaued. For her to see any change she may need to adjust her calorie intake. Without starving herself a 1300 calorie per daily will help her see tremendous results for weight loss.
  • isa474
    Options
    The issue is MOST LIKELY that you are underestimating calories in and overestimating calories out.
    ALSO weight loss isn't linear and can sometimes take time to show on the scales due to fluid retention etc. 2 weeks is not nearly long enough to be worried about.

Agreed. I've witnessed people factor in their exercise and over estimating and can't figure out why they are not losing. And as you said calorie in vs. out. Also when it comes to the machines they are not accurate
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Your right to an extent. As a woman its recommended to do no more than 2000 daily calorie intake assuming she's around that figure. Based on her activity it seems that she has plateaued. For her to see any change she may need to adjust her calorie intake. Without starving herself a 1300 calorie per daily will help her see tremendous results for weight loss.

What?
  • scott1855
    scott1855 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is frustrating - I can go weeks without dropping anything and then have a few weeks where I drop 3 or 4. The thing that works for me is to count the calories, try not to go over or under my calorie goal for the day (I find going significantly under for a few days running is as bad as going over for a few days), and keep going with the exercise. Eventually your body will catch up and the lbs will start coming off.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The first place to look for clues would be your food & exercise diaries - but they are private.

The other thing is it's only two weeks - you really need to give a change of routine at least a month before you decide something is or isn't working.
  • arditarose
    Options

Why throw a random number out there? What if she weighs all her food and logs accurately and loses on 1600? I'd lose weight on 1300 too but I'm not going to eat that little just because.
  • isa474
    Options
    It's not a random number. .tryed and true. Be blessed I'm not here to debate. Everyone has an opinion or theory on what works. As you see Dr Oz is even on the hot seat with the stuff he puts out there. Let's do what works best for us. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's not a random number. .tryed and true. Be blessed I'm not here to debate. Everyone has an opinion or theory on what works. As you see Dr Oz is even on the hot seat with the stuff he puts out there. Let's do what works best for us. Have a great weekend everyone.

In this case, you provided a random number. It's good you don't want to debate since your position doesn't hold up.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It's only been two weeks. Give it some time. Are you weighing your food or are you measuring? Get a digital food scale, life will be so much better. Also, have you taken your measurements? The scale takes everything into consideration, hair, water, blood, organs, etc. You could be losing inches, but not weight.
  • isa474
    edited January 2015
    Options

In this case, you provided a random number. It's good you don't want to debate since your position doesn't hold up.

If you say so dear:) everyone is entitled. I and people whom I personally know that has heeded this method says it does very much so hold up. Enjoy your weekend dear!
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    paulm34 wrote: »

No, you're not building muscle on a calorie deficit. Please don't tell people who are new to this that they are gaining muscle mass. You can only do that on a surplus.

If you just started all that running, you could be retaining water. If you're weighing your food on a food scale and sticking to your deficit, you should see the scale drop soon. Also, how are you calculating your exercise calories and are you eating them back?

The piece on building muscle in a deficit is blatantly untrue. Go take a physiology class. You can build muscle while losing weight, it just will not be a tremendous amount. I am so tired of seeing this lie on this board.
    Read some physiology of the muscle.
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/musclesgrowLK.html

• shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight for my wedding back in 2011 to 2012 I at one point hit a rut and looked at what I was eating and my exercises, I think I was eating fiber one bars and something else, so I stopped eating them and ate more fruits and veggies then I changed my exercises to something a bit more intense, it helped me drop my weight a bit better, but that's just what I did
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

If you say so dear:) everyone is entitled. I and people whom I personally know that has heeded this method says it does very much so hold up. Enjoy your weekend dear!

I'm not your "dear" ... and it isn't entitled, it's fact based on your providing numbers without knowing the OP's basic stats.

Bless your heart if you think otherwise.