Low carb, high fat! Need buddies to follow for support, motivation and ideas!

Options
AJ63736
AJ63736 Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I've been doing low carb high fat for 2 weeks and I've lost 15lbs so far :) my goal is to lose somewhere between 90-120 lbs. im not sure of what ratios I should be using for my fat/protein/carbs and I'd be so excited to have help! And of course motivation on my journey! Add me and I'm very open to tips or anything :)

Replies

• cmamy
    cmamy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

Congrats on your loss! I've been tracking my keto macros on MFP for 7 days now. I initially lost 15 lbs but then the holidays happened and my loss now has slowed to about 1 lb per week which has been a little frustrating but I need to remember that it will take some time. I'm really glad the scale is trending in the right direction. However it only takes me one cheat meal to put me back up 4 lbs instantly that takes a month to get back off. I have found some great things to eat and am never starved. If I'm hungry I have a small snack and I'm great. Hope this helps. Also you should check out reddit.com/r/xxketo (for women only) and reddit.com/r/keto (some creep dudes on here but still great info).

Cheers!
    Carrie (cmamy)
  • AJ63736
    Options
    Thank you!! I love reddit. :)
  • saharacutee
    Options
    NO problem
  • 50sthenew30
    50sthenew30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmamy, it only takes a little to set you back which is frustrating. I would be interested to know your diet AJ63736. Best weight loss I had was with the abbs diet quite a few years ago.

Cheers
    harry
  • AJ63736
    Options
    I'm going to start tracking my meals on this app so you'll be able to see my diet that way! I just try to stick low carb, usually below 50 but I give myself the option to go as high as 100 a day. I haven't had a cheat meal yet, I'm too worried about the set backs. Plus, I love low carb. I don't crave too many things that I can't eat. I just have trouble getting the fat I need, I think!
  • Lyndz_88
    Options
    Im doing low carb too :) I'll add you
  • prairiedana
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I'm also LCHF
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    90 lbs? Seems a bit low unless you are 4'10" or shorter.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AJ63736 wrote: »
    I'm going to start tracking my meals on this app so you'll be able to see my diet that way! I just try to stick low carb, usually below 50 but I give myself the option to go as high as 100 a day. I haven't had a cheat meal yet, I'm too worried about the set backs. Plus, I love low carb. I don't crave too many things that I can't eat. I just have trouble getting the fat I need, I think!

Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Avocados
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    Coconut
    Cheese
    Dark chocolate
    Flaxseed
    Steak
    Black olives
    Full-fat dairy

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    On the reddit keto pages, you'll find links to two tools that will help a lot. One lets you add a net carbs column to mfp, and the other lets you adjust your goals by smaller measurements than 5%. If you know how much protein and carbs you want to have by grams, it will let you set it to those exact amounts, and change the percentages, instead of forcing you into whatever numbers coincide with the nearest 5%.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    90 lbs? Seems a bit low unless you are 4'10" or shorter.

She said she wanted to lose between 90-120 lbs. Yes, weighing 90lbs is a bit too little.

AJ63736 wrote: »
    I've been doing low carb high fat for 2 weeks and I've lost 15lbs so far :) my goal is to lose somewhere between 90-120 lbs. im not sure of what ratios I should be using for my fat/protein/carbs and I'd be so excited to have help! And of course motivation on my journey! Add me and I'm very open to tips or anything :)

Low-carber/keto here. I second Reddit r/keto. That's what got me started.

There is a Low-Carber Daily Forum group that you might want to check out as well. We are working on getting some FAQs up right now, but you'll find all kinds of low-carbers there should you have specific questions that they do not yet address.

Feel free to add me.

• AJ63736
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins back in the day and I would like to try LCHF again. Can anyone tell me a little more about the eating guidelines and how it differs from Atkins? Is it the same as Keto?
  • kokopelli505
    Options
    I am doing this as well. However, I am doing something wrong cause I have only lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks? I haven't had any wheat since 1/10/15. I know that I don't drink enough water, but what could I be doing wrong?
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the low carb diet too. Feel free to add me if you like. My biggest concern is with the low carb diet is. On a 1200 cal low carb diet how much fat are you allowed. I just switched to the low carb diet about a week ago. Got the whole on it, Hahaha. (single mom here). Having to learn the ropes for 3.
  • AJ63736
    Options
    I am doing this as well. However, I am doing something wrong cause I have only lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks? I haven't had any wheat since 1/10/15. I know that I don't drink enough water, but what could I be doing wrong?

Are you tracking how many carbs your taking in? Because there are certain foods that are surprisingly carb-y besides grains and stuff.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the low carb diet too. Feel free to add me if you like. My biggest concern is with the low carb diet is. On a 1200 cal low carb diet how much fat are you allowed. I just switched to the low carb diet about a week ago. Got the whole on it, Hahaha. (single mom here). Having to learn the ropes for 3.

Flip how you're thinking about that - decide how low carb you're going, keto range of 20g or lower, regular low carb of 50 or 100g or lower. Calculate how much protein you need - that's a number based on your lean body mass, not total body weight. There are calculators on line to help figure that out if you don't have access to calipers. General rule is 0.8g protein for every lb of lean body mass, but it varies by person and how active you are. Once you have those two numbers, carb grams and protein grams, then what's left is how much fat you shouldn't exceed.
  • nakizzie
    nakizzie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @AJ63736‌

Congrats on the weight loss. I'm just starting out. Would love to see how u did it and what was your particular low carb/ high fat diet that first two weeks. Thxs.
  • AJ63736
    Options

Are you tracking how many carbs your taking in? Because there are certain foods that are surprisingly carb-y besides grains and stuff.
  • kashara_d
    kashara_d Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi..I'm Amy I am currently border line diabetic and I need to lose 50 pounds...need support...