Low carb, high fat! Need buddies to follow for support, motivation and ideas!

Options
1235»

Replies

• MkMoore3527
    Options
    On Monday I started a modified fat fast (a strict fat fast is supposed to be 90% fat, under 1000 calories per day) and haven't gone under 75% fat or over 1200 calories. So far, I have lost 5 pounds (about a pound a day, which is typical for this type of eating plan). It was a little tough in the beginning, but once I got over the initial three-day hump, I feel fantastic. There's nothing better than waking up each morning to see the scale continually move downward.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hello! I took a couple nutrition classes in university and the first thing we learned (sorry to burst your bubble) is that low carb high fat diets are quite bad. Carbohydrates should be the staple of your diet (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) because they are what provide your body with energy. Your brain especially needs carbohydrates to functions because it's the only macronutrient that can be broken down efficiently to use. If you do not have enough carbohydrates to use for energy to your brain, you body starts breaking down protein. The problem with this is that a byproduct of breaking down protein and converting it to glucose is a thing called ketones. You've probably heard good things about ketones and weight loss but sadly they are lies ): Ketones make your blood more acidic which is awful for your brain. It causes fatigue, more cognitive functioning, and sometimes, if following a low carb diet long enough, illness. You should look into credible sources when deciding to go on a low carb diet and truly understand it because you only have one body and generally low carb diets are only successful for short periods of time. Good luck!

Current research is debunking this on MANY fronts (and I have a degree in nutrition). The high carb, low fat craze has had a negative impact on many.
  • Bulletproof_Helen
    Bulletproof_Helen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am following low carb high fat too, watch youtube videos butter makes your pants fall off. Feel free to add me, I have been following this for 43 days now and love it, I feel so committed!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sheri77 wrote: »

but you probably gained it back right? Unfortunately the reason these diets are not recommended is because it's not a realistic lifestyle. Can you imagine yourself eating like this forever? If not, you will gain it back. Fast:(

There are people who have been on LCHF for years. For me, the lack of joint pain, depression, and digestive issues means that yes, this is a long-term diet for me.
  • Bulletproof_Helen
    Bulletproof_Helen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have to do this long term too even when I reach target, I believe sugars and grains made me ill! I don't feel deprived like I did on other diets. I am slowly getting into exercise, walking every day! I have joint pain too Twibbly and digestive issues are a total nightmare for me (I have Ulcerative Colitis and IBS)
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Also LCHF. Please feel free to add me. =)
  • jenniferbushey69
    jenniferbushey69 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there I been looking into this lchf diet and interested in learning please feel free to add me :D
  • MalloryMelts14
    MalloryMelts14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Looking for LCHF buddies too!!! Anyone feel free to add me! It seems to be the only thing that keeps my insulin resistance at bay. And I don't feel hungry at all. Most of the time I have to make myself eat. I have watched butter makes your pants fall off and it's so great. It might seem overwhelming but he breaks it down to you. I started lchf on April 28th and have lost 10lbs so far. 8 within my first week! I wish I could get my husband to do it with me but he enjoys his grains too much. ='(
  • lisaniko888
    lisaniko888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Mallory, I'm on the lchf train too, mostly keti and loving it! Would be great to keep in touch! X
  • lisaniko888
    lisaniko888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto* can't spell!
  • johannpascual
    johannpascual Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm not doing anything complicated... just counting my calories and making sure other stuff like carbs and protein are not too high or low. Add me if you want. :)
  • stacyketner
    stacyketner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm pretty new to the low carb thing, been studying it for a while I have psoriasis and stomach issues and I just always feel tired, my dad has been doing the low carb thing for a while now because his Dr recommend he try it and my dad has been saying that I should try it to because he has a lot of the same symptoms as I do and he's had some relief, so if you have any awesome information you would like to share with me or want to add me feel free to do so! Thanks!
  • CadesMom2014
    CadesMom2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I know that I am way late to this post, but I am starting my LCHF journey on June 1st and am seeking friends and support. Thanks
  • saragiorgi01
    saragiorgi01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am fairly new to the LCHF lifestyle but coping fine so far. Been logging my food on mfp and interesting how carbs are hidden or you didn't know about them. Got caught out by red peppers last night, oh well. Am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 50 years. BG levels have never been so good. Lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks, happy so far.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Here is where I first heard about LCHF dietdoctor.com. Watch the you tube video that has a picture of the evolution of man into a fat guy. I also am trying the 5 2 diet, using LCHF with good success. Anyone can add me as a friend.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You are right as usual! Had recent blood work and all of my bad numbers went down. I stopped crestor because I was getting muscle aches. Even my cholesterol went down. The Dr looked confused, but said what ever you're doing keep doing it. I still have a good bit of weight to go!

Cheers,

FB
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Me too. I've done every other diet you can think of. I loose weight but gain it all back. A few days in and about 3 pounds so far. This looks like something I can stick with, but I'm concerned about elevated cholesterol and triglycerides.

Please go on YouTube and search for talks on LCHF (by credible sources!). There is so much there to put your mind at rest. My favourites are Prof Tim Noakes, Nina Teicholz and Gary Taubes - they have all put many, many years into their research using very credible studies.