Can you gain muscle without a proper diet ?

Options
I see prisoners on TV documentaries and some of them are really big, and all they do is train, cause I'm sure they don't give you great high protein foods in prison and they let you count calories and all of that stuff, but yet, they're pretty big. Do you think that's possible for everyone or you need really good genetics ?

Replies

• dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Its more likely that they are given cheap high calorie foods with a minimum of proteins. which will get you there, Protein is overhyped imo carbs and sheer cals are more important for getting big (again my opinion)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Interesting question! I found an article in the LA Times about Lancaster prison in California.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-02-13/local/me-31588_1_american-dietetic-assn

"...standards call for a diet of 3,700 calories a day, consisting of 15% protein, 55% carbohydrates and 30% fat."

3,700 calories is huge, I'm in maintenance (6 ft, 170lbs) and eat about 2,500 per day! So within those 3,700 calories, 15% is protein, or 555 calories from protein, or about 139 grams. If you are to eat about .75 to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, there is probably enough there for you to sustain some decent muscle growth. Also, I bet you could trade some fatty / sugary food for food with more protein from other prisoners who don't care about their diet. Just speculating.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They are allowed to buy their own whey etc. over here.

I'm also pretty sure if they can get smack in, they can get gear too.

edit: oh and really, carbs are more important than protein while bulking, I'd imagine, as the cheapest macro, that their diet would be abundant in carbs.
  • becess96
    becess96 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, just read the article. 3,7000 calories is a lot. From what I've seen in documentaries it just looks like they're starving, I've seen some milk, some noodles and some jelly as far as I remember
  • 3laine75
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't know about the US but it's like an extended hotel stay here - granted, a travel lodge/premier inn - with a great gym, health care and college built in.

edit, sky TV, play station/Xbox etc., plus whatever they're enterprising enough to get in for themselves.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    lol... not an expert of prison diet, but i know that muscles get bigger with use, not with food..
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I worked in a county jail, the food was closer to 2000, maybe 2200 calories a day. They have macro requirements but the protein macro is pretty bean heavy. But they get enough protein to build muscle, and supplement carbs with ramen noodle soup.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    lol... not an expert of prison diet, but i know that muscles get bigger with use, not with food..

You should leave, it won't be pretty =D
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Maybe for the first year but after that no sorry
  • 3laine75
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    Maybe for the first year but after that no sorry

9d232kchfcx0.jpg

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »

edit: oh and really, carbs are more important than protein while bulking, I'd imagine, as the cheapest macro, that their diet would be abundant in carbs.
    They can? That's interesting. I didn't know that.
    You can get a lot of stuff in prison that people who've never been don't think is possible. As long as you've got money (or bartering items), you can buy what you like.

What I learned from an ex-con family member is there's not much to do in prison. You can do menial work (for paying back court fees/fines), read, watch tv, listen to a radio, hang out in the yard, and/or lift weights.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Gear+lifting+time+food= lots of gains.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

They can? That's interesting. I didn't know that.
    You can get a lot of stuff in prison that people who've never been don't think is possible. As long as you've got money (or bartering items), you can buy what you like.

What I learned from an ex-con family member is there's not much to do in prison. You can do menial work (for paying back court fees/fines), read, watch tv, listen to a radio, hang out in the yard, and/or lift weights.

That I know. I just didn't think Whey wouldn't be considered contraband. My father was in prison for 9 years and we've spoken about many things but weight training and things like that we never did.

On no, not contraband (here anyway) they can order it.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the US but it's like an extended hotel stay here - granted, a travel lodge/premier inn - with a great gym, health care and college built in.

edit, sky TV, play station/Xbox etc., plus whatever they're enterprising enough to get in for themselves.

That and they get more spent on their meals than school dinners or patients in hospital. Seriously alot of thought goes into the menu's in prisons and they get several meal options per sitting along with what they buy in the tuck shop, order in using their prison accounts or have their familys bring in
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Uk prisons just arnt a detterent. Some of the frequent flyers reoffend due to having a warm bed, good food and all the entertainment options offerred in there
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Uk prisons just arnt a detterent. Some of the frequent flyers reoffend due to having a warm bed, good food and all the entertainment options offerred in there

Yes its shocking - not saying I'm against people being treated humanely (I'd rather have the softly softly option than the horrors that go on elsewhere) but when I'm older I know which one I'd pick. I'd rather do time here than end up in a care home, hands down.