I just cant run

Options
13»

Replies

• JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    running is not for everyone. And it's ok there are so many other things you can do to help with weight loss. But if running is a goal for you then don't give up. You need to adjust to the demands that running puts on your body. I run 5 days a week and it is very common that I need to ice my hip and knee. I am a can of walk runs too. Set mini goals every week. For example try running 2 minutes walk for one minute the first week then up your run duration to 3 minutes the next week.

Try kickboxing, it's a high calorie burning exercise, you can also walk at a fast pace with large strides.
  • ehargis09
    ehargis09 Posts: 12
    Options
    In terms of a good place to find shoes, do you know if you have a Roadrunner Sports in your area? That is where I go and they do an in-depth analysis of your feet and how your feet strike when you run. They put you on a treadmill that records how your feet hit the ground in slow motion, have you stand on a sensor to see where your body puts pressure on which parts of your feet, and they create custom insoles for you. I swear by this place as I truly feel like they fit you to the appropriate pair of shoes, unlike other places where I feel like they just play guessing games with you or don't really know what they're talking about. I will tell you though to expect to spend a pretty penny, but to me it's all worth it. And the socks you wear make a difference - you need socks that will wick the sweat away from your foot, or you might tear and shed skin badly around your toes and on the foot itself.
  • Superchick123
    Superchick123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    All good recommendations and advices, thank you all! :) What kind of shoes do you wear for a workout? I have a Reebok RunTone Toning Shoes that I have had for 2 years, and perhaps its my shoes that is not for fitness purposes. I dont really know.
    This is what I have:

http://www.shelbystidham.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Reebok-Run-Tone-2.jpg
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    All good recommendations and advices, thank you all! :) What kind of shoes do you wear for a workout? I have a Reebok RunTone Toning Shoes that I have had for 2 years, and perhaps its my shoes that is not for fitness purposes. I dont really know.
    This is what I have:

Gawd, toning shoes? You need to ditch them and get to a serious athletic shoes store, to be professionally fitted with a pair of proper running shoes.
  • Superchick123
    Superchick123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is what I have:

Gawd, toning shoes? You need to ditch them and get to a serious athletic shoes store, to be professionally fitted with a pair of proper running shoes.

So it's pretty bad, huh? I guess I should. I was debating whether I should buy a good heart rate monitor, or a good pair of shoes. :)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This is what I have:

So it's pretty bad, huh? I guess I should. I was debating whether I should buy a good heart rate monitor, or a good pair of shoes. :)

A pair of good running shoes hurt my knee simply because they were the wrong kind. Toning shoes for running is worse than useless, it could actually hurt you. If you told us from the beginning that you're wearing this gimmicky pair, the answer would be quite obvious.

Now, even a professionally fitted running shoes aren't going to keep you pain free. If this is the first time you run in a long time, your body will need time to adjust by reinforcing your leg muscles, ligaments, and bones. You will feel sore all over in the beginning, but as long as it's not pain then you just push through. Just keep it slow the first time around.
  • janetdungan
    janetdungan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dont stop, be consistent and you will have longer strides, ie longer than 30 seconds, 1 min, etc... and your pain will also go away. ice and take ibuprofin when needed but DONT GIVE UP. it gets better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but i feel like running will burn fat all around my body, and just doing ellipticals and bike are not enough for it, right
    Exercise burns calories. In fact any physical activity burns calories. Calorie deficit is what helps to reduce fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    This is what I have:

Well that's the first problem. There's NO SUCH THING as toning shoes. Get the right footwear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    PSA ahead

I didn't listen when I was told by experts that I 'wasn't a runner', and now I'm effed because I tried anyway. I bought the good shoes, did a beginner program (C25K, actually - and I repeated the early weeks a couple of times), read up on footstrike. I'm going for my second MRI tomorrow morning to figure out why I can't walk properly and am in pain almost three years later. Pick something else that you have a knack for.

(I was the same as you - just crap at running, all my life. Got bit by the bug. Got to be ok at it for a while, & enjoy it. I can't even run for the bus now.)

I used to run rather than eat. Seriously. Today, I sit in a wheelchair, barely able to walk. It is directly attributable to my running. Of course, I did something that was not too bright for the three years I ran. I ran barefoot. On concrete. Asphalt. Anywhere. Trust me when I say...BAD DAMN MOVE!

I'd love to just be able to walk to the corner store again, even if I have to use a walker or cane to do it. Don't know if that will ever come to be again.

If you don't like running. Don't run. Running is not the be all exercise. Just as Heavy lifting is not the be all. Find what YOU enjoy doing, learn all you can, and how to do it properly. Start slowly. Work your way up. Keep learning.

Remember, not every one can do every exercise. I cannot run. I can barely walk. I cannot do heavy lifting. I can wheelchair walk. I can do Resistance bands. I can do dumbbells, and I'm working up to Stability/Medicine ball. I can do seated cardio.

If I were to try to do what I cannot do, I'd injure myself more, and/or just frustrate myself to the point of giving it all up. DO what YOU can do. Only you know your body. If it hurts, I mean, REALLY hurts, then it's wrong. The point about proper equipment, including shoes, is priceless. Start there. Then figure it out.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I am a runner and I often hear people tell me (almost as though they feel bad about it) that they don't run because they don't like it, or because it's hard on their knees (or other body parts) and you know...that is completely fine. Do you even enjoy running? Because if you tried it multiple times and just don't like it, don't run anymore. There are plenty of other things to try. If you DO get enjoyment from it and want to get better/ run faster, or run longer distances, it takes time and you just have to start slow to build your endurance. When I first started, I was in decent shape from doing other activities, but I could not run very long without heaving and needing to stop. :laugh:

As for your knees hurting...that could be caused by many things. Poor fitting shoes. not stretching enough, and even weak muscles in the legs. I obviously can't diagnose that problem, but you should probably start off with getting proper shoes made for your feet/arch to start off with if you want to continue running - as well as learning some beneficial stretches, of course. :flowerforyou: