Using food as a substitute

Options
Hi all,

Far as I can remember I have being eating food to cover my emotions and now I need to stick to my diet... It's only been a week any support?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You have joined the right community. Congrats on making it one week!
  • ellaraenae1
    ellaraenae1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You are fantastic, one week -- wow pat yourself on the back -- you can do this -- and we are right here to encourage you -- hoping next week is even better.
  • oriana1990
    oriana1990 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hah, join the absolutely enormous club :) But hey, wow, a full week, that's great! Take each day as it comes - you can do this!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    That's great that you recognize that & is mindful so a big congrats on that. :)

But this is the maintaining forums for people who have already reach goal.

If you are still in the midst to your goal you may find more peer support in the GETTING STARTED or INTRO forums if you are looking for specific others still working towards their goals. OR you may even want to consider signing up to get matched to a mentor for a more 1:1 support community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10035755/2015-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread#latest

Best of luck to you!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first week! Is there any way you might be able to find a counselor or support group to help make this easier for you? These aren't short term problems.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    mrsbibz12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Far as I can remember I have being eating food to cover my emotions and now I need to stick to my diet... It's only been a week any support?

I take baths, chew gum, or go for a walk to deal with this stuff now. If I fall off the wagon and overeat, I log it, and move on. Its a process, but you can do it OP.

• ibbyiam
    ibbyiam Posts: 81
    Options
    Great to know why we eat for other then to survive. I learn from those that have similar traits like mine. I too ate due to depression, and last year was such a sad, hard year, and ate myself to so much gain weight, in one year. So I am glad to see that you chew gum, to subsitute eating food, I do that as well. I am going to take your advice and not dwell so much when my calorie intake went over my limit. I would get so bad, once I just decided to have something else since I had gone over, I negatively said might as well go more over. Bad thoughts like that, I need to avoid.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    mrsbibz12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

It sounds silly, but it's okay to feel your feelings. Masking them with food is a two-fold problem: the underlying feelings aren't addressed and you then you end up with the bad effects of over eating.

Feeling depressed, angry, anxious, etc. is okay. Those are normal feelings. And they are just feelings. No need to mask them. Feel them so that you can address them. Boredom, anxiety, restlessness, whatever, can be remedied by taking other actions besides eating. Be determined! You can do this!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Do you journal? I have found that journaling helps me with through or just accept my feelings and I am less likely to eat or just swallow them.