broccoli slaw - yea or nay?

Options
waterbyrde
waterbyrde Posts: 30 Member
I bought broccoli slaw this morning at the grocery store. I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be cooked or just eaten raw. Any suggestions for what to do with it?

Replies

• srmeyers3
    srmeyers3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yea! I eat it raw with thai lettuce wraps for an extra crunch. Here's the recipe I use it with. I just put the slaw in the bottom of the leaf and add the cooked topping on top of it.

iowagirleats.com/2011/04/26/p-f-changs-lettuce-wraps-remade/

I also add extra veggies to the cooked part for extra nutrients for low calories - shredded carrots, a couple handfuls of spinach, and chopped celery. I also just cut the chicken (or protein of your choice) into bite-sized or smaller pieces, instead of grinding it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw, just like a salad. Or sometimes as a salad additive. It never even occurred to me to cook it! :D
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Raw! Love it raw... *pondering next stir fry concoction*.... Hmmm..
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Stir fry would work. Yes, indeed. Sounds good.
  • mstephens613
    mstephens613 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've done both. When raw, eat it in salad, add crunch to tuna, etc. When cooked, I usually cook it up like stir fry and add chicken. Yum!
  • ElizabethIrish
    ElizabethIrish Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    oooh, my best recipe for broccoli slaw is: one package bowtie pasta cooked and drained, while still hot pour over peanut sauce, enough to moisten and not overwhelm, then stir in one pkg of broccoli slaw. It sounds odd but is DELICIOUS.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite recipe using it. The slaw is just heated up, not really cooked.

Sesame Ginger Lettuce Wraps

24 oz Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thigh
    1/4 cup Water
    3/4 cup green onions
    1 tsp Ginger Paste
    8 oz Sesame Ginger Stir Fry Sauce
    16 oz package Broccoli Cole Slaw

Place all ingredients except the broccoli slaw in a slow cooker and cook on medium 5-8 hours. 30 minutes before serving, shred the chicken with a fork and add the slaw, mixing well. Put the cover on and cook another 30 minutes. Serve with iceberg lettuce leaves.
  • sarahtsabo
    sarahtsabo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I boil it and use it as a pasta alternative. It takes quite awhile to get tender, but it's very good!!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I stick the bag (unopened) in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Serve with cottage cheese, with tomato sauce and ground Boca burger/ground turkey, with teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds...myum myum.

It's my go-to depression night meal, when I can't bring myself to cook.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I LOVE broccoli slaw. I love mixing it with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little plain greek yogurt and eat it on a buffalo turkey burger or with cajun seasoned ahi tuna. SO good.
  • waterbyrde
    waterbyrde Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! These all sound yummy.
  • celticlady37
    Options
    I've had it with an Italian dressing. Not bad at all. (And I'm not that fond of broccoli.)
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Love the stuff. I add it to stir fries, pasta dishes and lettuce wraps. Also this amazing salad:

Broccoli slaw
    Raisins
    Bacon
    Cheddar cheese
    Apple
    Crushed almond or pecan

For dressing I use half apple cider vinegar, half light mayonaise
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same way you make coleslaw as aside dish just a lot more flavor and crunch .
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw with various dressings. I also put it in spring rolls and wraps, saute it to eat hot, and even steam it soft and top with a fried egg. It's just shredded veggies, do whatever you want with it!
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i have cooked it down and eaten it like pasta. add some to frozen veggies for a quick stirfry. sautee until the softness you like, add whatever seasonigs you like and fill won ton or egg roll wrappers
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just bought some & have been eating it raw,added to a roast chicken / pita pocket sandwich with a little sesame soy ginger salad dressing. Also added it to my salad. It is very crunchy, which is ok if you like it that way, but I could see cooking it as well--just haven't b/c DH wouldn't eat it if he knew what it was.
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love it raw. I use a splash of sesame oil and some rice wine vinegar for seasoning.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I steam it with half a cup of water for 10 minutes and it gets the same texture as noodles. So I get a ton of veggies and cut out cals and carbs and still can eat noodle like food. I love it!
  • hlhutch91
    hlhutch91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wonderful ideas. I have just been eating it raw like a salad, but the wraps sound amazing!