So now you're an expert?

Options
So...I responded on a random Facebook page of a fitness personality about a so called "fitness motivators" that do the opposite. One of the so called motivators said that crawling, puking, crying, etc was acceptable, but quitting wasn't. I mentioned that pushing myself to the point of an asthma attack would cause my workout to come to a complete halt. Some random lady told me that would make her keep going and that she would have just pushed through it.

I'm all for pushing yourself, but not to the point of making myself sick or I can't breathe! She said her trainer would have pushed her through it. Well, I've had trainers that worked with some of the best trainers and once they saw that I was in distress, we stopped.

It kinda grated on my nerves. Without wanting to get into it with some random person on the internet, I congratulated her on her weight loss and left it at. How do you deal with someone like this?

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to them being ignorant. They've obviously not dealt with that kind of thing before, so they really don't know what it's like and they lack compassion.

I agree with you though--pushing yourself to illness simply to get a workout in is asinine.
  • PeterPortofino
    Options
    I started a dvd fitness program called insanity and it's a very tiring workout. The motto of it is to not give up and to dig deeper, but I did that for 2-3 weeks for 5 times a week and I ended up straining the muscles and fascia in my foot, it felt like it was burning and tight for most of the day.

Sometimes pushing through is good but there is a difference between pushing through because it's hard and pushing so hard that you get a injury or hurt yourself. I think the key is to just do some type of exercise consistently and eat health and monitor calories over a long period. I've been monitoring my weight every week and I noticed iv'e lost on average 1 kg per month. It's not much but in the long term it's better and I only eat healthy mostly and do walking and some yoga and weight training 2-3 times per week
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and nutritionist, and as much as I do think people should push themselves, intensity is a relative thing.

So yes, I AM an expert, and my goal is that my clients should never throw up or injure themselves during a workout... it's not necessary. You should enjoy your workouts and use them to sculpt muscle, and your DIET should be the fat loss component.

Just brush it off.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    I'm a personal trainer and nutritionist, and as much as I do think people should push themselves, intensity is a relative thing.

So yes, I AM an expert, and my goal is that my clients should never throw up or injure themselves during a workout... it's not necessary. You should enjoy your workouts and use them to sculpt muscle, and your DIET should be the fat loss component.

Just brush it off.

Question, as a trainer, how easy is it for you to tell if someone is REALLY not feeling well and being pushed too hard, or just not pushing themselves hard enough? Can you tell if they're just being wimpy? I'm asking this in all seriousness because this is what I was wondering before I wanted to respond to this thread. I've also asked my trainer this and I told her one day, "listen...I will push myself really hard. But if I say I need to stop, you really need to believe me."
  • sharamia
    sharamia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can't push through an asthma attack. When you're having an asthma attack you can't fully exhale. Your blood isn't getting enough oxygen. The person who told you that is ignorant of the condition. You'll die if you try to push through it. Hopefully, you carry a rescue inhaler.
  • beccabee38
    beccabee38 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sharamia wrote: »
    You can't push through an asthma attack. When you're having an asthma attack you can't fully exhale. Your blood isn't getting enough oxygen. The person who told you that is ignorant of the condition. You'll die if you try to push through it. Hopefully, you carry a rescue inhaler.

Yes, I do have my inhaler handy and thankfully, I've only had to use it a few times. When she told me that she would have pushed through an asthma attack, all I could do was shake my head at that comment. I also mentioned to her that I had MS and sometimes I have to watch just how hard I push myself, but I won't let my condition stop me from working out. When I workout, I don't play around!
  • beccabee38
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »

Just brush it off.

Thank you for the reply! I don't know what trainer she's had, but none of the trainers that I've ever worked with keep pushing me through a workout to the point where I'm sick, and most of the asthma attacks came at the very end of an hour long strength training routine.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    beccabee38 wrote: »
    So...I responded on a random Facebook page of a fitness personality about a so called "fitness motivators" that do the opposite. One of the so called motivators said that crawling, puking, crying, etc was acceptable, but quitting wasn't. I mentioned that pushing myself to the point of an asthma attack would cause my workout to come to a complete halt. Some random lady told me that would make her keep going and that she would have just pushed through it.

I'm all for pushing yourself, but not to the point of making myself sick or I can't breathe! She said her trainer would have pushed her through it. Well, I've had trainers that worked with some of the best trainers and once they saw that I was in distress, we stopped.

It kinda grated on my nerves. Without wanting to get into it with some random person on the internet, I congratulated her on her weight loss and left it at. How do you deal with someone like this?
    Woah, that's intense. It's a shame that people think that the only way to succeed is through punishment and pushing. I think you'll set yourself up for long term success if you push yourself just enough. I definitely don't think crawling, puking or crying is acceptable, I think that is discouraging and potentially harmful to the body.

OP, you sound very wise and you sound to me like you know what you're doing. I think it's important to know your boundaries and know how to work hard without overworking yourself. You seem to have handled the situation well, too, so I want to congratulate you :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    So do I, OP. And extra points for restraint of tongue and pen. I totally lack that ability and would have wasted time going back and forth with this idiot all night! lol You know your body and don't ever think for a second that getting healthy has anything to do with pushing yourself to the point of puking, not being able to breathe, or ending up in the ER :)
  • beccabee38
    Options
    Yes, I had to use a lot of restraint! LOL!! She also said that we all have different ways of finding motivation which is true, but making yourself sick just for the sake of pushing through isn't motivation to me. I congratulated her on her weightless and left it at. Push yourself, but don't hurt yourself in the process.
  • M_J992
    M_J992 Posts: 76
    Options
    I'll have a coke
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If you feel real pain, or feel physically ill, then that's way too much. Anyone who tells you to ignore your body's danger signals is a quack. Better to work your way up slowly and safely.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    do what works for you and ignore them...an entire thread dedicated to what someone said, jesus.