Macronutrient ratio

Options
What's your macronutrient ratio for bulking?
I'm considering 50/30/20 for carbs/protein/fat.

Replies

• nerr7
    nerr7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mine is 45c/30p/25f
    However it's pretty individual and I think it's really just a case of trial and error to see what works for you..
    Generally, women are more sensitive to carbs and our hormones cause us to retain more water etc. but everyone is different!
    50/30/20 sounds like a good ratio. If you're getting the results you want then stick with it!
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Mine is 50/25/25 (C/P/F). Definitely get your protein and fat intake in - somewhere between 1g-1.5g per pound of body weight. Then for fats I think .3 per pound of body weight is good (minimum). Then fill the rest with carbs. That's just my approach though; there's definitely room to play around with it.

It really comes down to how you feel though. Some people feel crappy on lower carb, some feel better with that.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Ratios don't work out. Always grams > ratios.

.6-.87g per lb of bodyweight in protein. The 1g-1.5g recommendation above is just excessive. Especially on a bulk.
    .4g per lb of bodyweight in fat
    Fill the remaining calories with carbs.

This. Mine is 45c/25p/30f but that changes to fit minimum protein and fat goals (and Nutella needs).

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Ratios don't work out. Always grams > ratios.

.6-.87g per lb of bodyweight in protein. The 1g-1.5g recommendation above is just excessive. Especially on a bulk.
    .4g per lb of bodyweight in fat
    Fill the remaining calories with carbs.

This.
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    If you want to be fat use your ratios, but temporarily, is too much carbs. Once you get to a more ideal weight keep those numbers but in this order fat/protein/carbs.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you want to be fat use your ratios, but temporarily, is too much carbs. Once you get to a more ideal weight keep those numbers but in this order fat/protein/carbs.

What are you talking about? Not just the fact that it makes no sense but why would you give macro %age advice to someone when you don't even know their stats? And 50% fat?! - even I would find that a challange.

• elfman5150
    Options
    Takeaway message - macros aren't everything, but don't neglect any category because they do each have their place. Fats are necessary for hormonal regulation (among other things), and protein is obviously important in building muscle (and again, many other things).

Calories trump macros. Here's a really really good video on the matter actually. This guy knows his stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTOVasoBdU

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    Takeaway message - macros aren't everything, but don't neglect any category because they do each have their place. Fats are necessary for hormonal regulation (among other things), and protein is obviously important in building muscle (and again, many other things).

Calories trump macros. Here's a really really good video on the matter actually. This guy knows his stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTOVasoBdU

Yes, this! Omar Isuf is the man with no BS.

• EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Not just the fact that it makes no sense but why would you give macro %age advice to someone when you don't even know their stats? And 50% fat?! - even I would find that a challange.

Can you explain why it does not make sense? Just curiosity, I know your reason.

He says 50/30/20 carbs/protein and fat and I say, use those to bulk, because he wants to bulk, bulking means gaining weight, some muscle a bit more fat, then you cut fat, is the traditional style, right? He is not asking for lean muscle.

I eat like 60-70% fat dude, and I am underweighted lol.
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    Can you explain why carbs are important and why the difference between bulking/cutting protein?
  • elfman5150
    Options
    Can you explain why carbs are important and why the difference between bulking/cutting protein?

Can you explain why carbs aren't important? And don't use the whole "you can get your glucose needs from excess protein through gluconeogenesis" crap like most paleo folks. That's basically proof that we DO need carbs. Glucose is fuel for our bodies. Why get it from a less effective, more demanding process of gluconeogensis rather than from carbohydrates directly?

Brb, off to eat my non-grass fed steak.
    Sorry for the rant.
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    Protein is essencial for many reasons, one is to regulate appetite, repair and build muscle... there is no clear science about how much protein do we need in one day, so I wonder where does the science about cutting/bulking comes from.

Carbs are not important because we are not carbohydrates and we do not sintetise anything but tryglicerides from them. Our bodies only use sugar if we adapt it to do so, and it has well known negative effects. The organs in our bodies prefer or only use fat, that is why we convert the carbs into fat, because we don't need many.

Glucose is toxic, that is why our bodies regulate it very strictly, remember that a diabetic will die thanks to glucose.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Oh dear!
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    latest?cb=20110727182048