Does seeing fit people at the gym motivate you to keep going?

Options

Replies

• jfitz444
    jfitz444 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes! The gym is my accountability partner!
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I aspire to both look and perform as they do, but I mainly feel intimidated and self-conscious of my own body when I'm around really fit people. I tend to do better in environments with all shapes and sizes. The less self-conscious I feel, the more I can focus on my workout.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and a teacher, so I am acutely aware of the, uh, passage of time. I dig the older people at the gym, whether they're busting out supersets or pushing low amounts on the weight machines, cranking up the elliptical or walking around the tiny track with their buddy. That's who I want to be in 30 and 40 (and 50?) years. That's why I work out, keeps me motivated not to go too hard, reminds me that this is about taking care of myself and not just beating everyone on the treadmill for the unrecognized glory. (Yes, I'm racing you, but you knew that, because you're sneaking glances at my machine and racing me, too.)

And every year, a couple of New Year's resolution people stick it out and become regulars. I've been working out since high school--it's habit and second nature to me. People who make a big change of it in adulthood are seriously impressive. They/you rock. :)
  • TalaHasbini
    Options
    It sure does...But what in my opinion helps the most is to have a "gym buddy"!
  • ines_a_crazy
    Options
    Totaly! I always think: I wanna look like that. I'm gonna look like that!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm already fit so it's an opportunity to make new friends and encourage newcomers.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I want to say yes, but as I think about it, not really. Occasionally I have been motivated a secret competition with someone, but they are likely to be someone closer to me in fitness level. I'm more motivated by changes I see in me.

I agree with this.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No. Sometimes Everyone looks pretty ordinary to me. Theres one girl who looks very slim toned and graceful, but she could have been like that all her life and smartly just kept on top.

The guys in the weights, then occasionally you see some really well developed ones, but I know they have either put a lot of work in and devoted a lot of time. I tend to people watch, so if I have any comment , its that I admire and hope the people who are heavily overweight stick with it.
  • tornACL2012
    Options
    very true
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It also encourages me to not rest too long at the gym, cause I'd like them to view me as a badass like they are. Gawd forbid they catch me slacking! :blush:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope. I look at myself in the mirror :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Not really, I feel kinda intimidated. Especially if I'm getting stares like I don't belong there.

Those "stares" are in your head. Gym people almost never do that.

• RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely get inspired by yogis, they have lovely lean bodies, pert buns and are extremely focused... not to mention bendy. I also get inspired when I see someone running for an extended period of time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    it fascinates me that so many people pay so much attention to others in the gym.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't. In fact, I find those prancing around in their sports bra to show off their abs annoying as heck. I go to the gym to get my workout in, not people watch.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Thinking about the fit people I see at the gym makes me very motivated to keep going.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Sure, I suppose. Actually, I get motivated just seeing anyone working out. Fit or otherwise.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Nope. If anything, seeing the overweight people at the gym motivates me.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Anyone at the gym motivates me.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No! I try really hard not to look at anyone at the gym.

When I first saw this question I had to really think hard about it and wonder if I should be looking at the people around me for added motivation. But when I really think about it I realized at the location I go to most often - this would not really apply other than to confirm that I am doing something right!

There are some people that have been going to the gym since I have (a little over 2 years) that have not changed. A few people have asked me what I do and as soon as I mention calorie counting - I get cut off with that 'I can't do that' so I guess technically they are in maintenance mode whether they know it or not :) no motivation there!