Does seeing fit people at the gym motivate you to keep going?

Options

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    it fascinates me that so many people pay so much attention to others in the gym.

I am equally fascinated by the unobservant. :) (Don't we all secretly want to be Psych?)
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It definitely does! I like to look at fitness pages an magazines for extra inspirtion also
  • tornACL2012
    Options
    I love fitspiration
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yep! Results motivate me the most. You get those through hard work in the gym.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    At my regular gym I generally don't think about or notice anyone else. At my gym where I take classes it does motivate me cause there are competitors and athletes but everyone is super friendly and motivating so there are no attitudes or I might feel differently. And to see people changing is pretty cool too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I already posted "yes", but I have to admit-I was about to skip cardio today until I saw this body builder I really admire pedaling for a bit on the bike after his lifting session and I thought...okay FINE, I can pedal a bit too.
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Absolutely! I see fit women with attributes I would like to have as well and am inspired to push myself. I see people struggling or just starting out and I commend them for being brave. The gym can be intimidating, for me personally, cardio is my comfort zone, lifting is intimidating for me. But I'm not going to let fear win, so I'm going to tackle it. Everyone has something to teach if you watch them.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Not really because I know my body will never look like hers. Or hers. With or without lifting.

I am envious of the runners in my gym though. Hopefully I will eventually reach that level.

I am also envious of the guys who can pump out some nice pull ups.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Not really, I feel kinda intimidated. Especially if I'm getting stares like I don't belong there.

This is most often in your own head...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I love seeing people of any fitness level doing a kick-*kitten* workout where you can tell they're really pushing themselves. I also get inspired when I see someone doing a weighted exercise that I've never seen before. Too many people in the gym don't seem to venture far enough out of their comfort zone
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Not really. I don't really know their background, so no.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. Back when I was actually able to go to the gym, I always loved seeing the fit folks do their thing. There was one woman who came in every day who looked like she belonged in a bodybuilding magazine, she was gorgeous and an absolute beast. Very inspiring.
  • tornACL2012
    Options
    yeah good point
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ajwall3 wrote: »
    Absolutely! I see fit women with attributes I would like to have as well and am inspired to push myself. I see people struggling or just starting out and I commend them for being brave. The gym can be intimidating, for me personally, cardio is my comfort zone, lifting is intimidating for me. But I'm not going to let fear win, so I'm going to tackle it. Everyone has something to teach if you watch them.

This! I try something new every couple of weeks. It takes me a long time to get comfortable doing something new. My next thing is going into the squat rack. Just approaching it like I'm actually going to DO something is a challenge for me. But it is a MUST since I'm trying to strengthen my glutes/core for running. Good luck to you!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Nope. I look at myself in the mirror :)

Ha! I do, too - I wonder if anyone thinks that's strange. Sometimes, it gets pretty intense, if I'm running intervals. I'm sure I look like a lunatic, staring myself down. That absolutely does motivate me, though. I'm tough on myself. LOL!
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When you are pushing yourself and the ones that do notice you and are regularly there daily They know how hard you are pushing. Cause they do the same. Mind set focused normal people on the same plan.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Fit people who have worked hard and are working hard to maintain their fitness goals are an inspiration.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not really, I find it is the opposite. I find seeing the heavier people at the gym keep me motivated because it is a reminder of how far I have come and is encouragement to keep going so I don't regress and end up back where I started.

8931969.png

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Fit is not a look or something you can see.

I can outdo just about anybody at my gym, but I don't really look super fit.