Thank god for The China Study

Options
DatMurse
DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
For this post, it is nothing against people who choose a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle based upon animal rights but simple claims that it is healthier than an omnivorous diet.

The book is a vegetarian book...
The study/data promotes omnivorism

I am so happy that he made this study. When vegans/vegetarians use it as a weapon of a healthier lifestyle, I can now use the data back at them in the argument. The study shows the effectiveness of an omnivorous diet.

The China "Study" is a book that has promoted vegetarianism and veganism through the use of an analysis of diet in Asia and the correlation of diseases. Dr. Campbell happened to use cholesterol as one of his main determining factors of the unhealthiness of animal protein. What he doesn't tell you is that the data he compiled was interpreted for the book is something he picked and chose to mention in his book in regards to cancer and chronic diseases.
I have met several people recently who mentioned this book and tried using it as an argument.

His study was not a peer reviewed study and while his book is still selling this con artist has screwed so many people over into believing such a diet is much healthier than an omnivorous diet. I'm glad he did the study, but it seems that his personal beliefs heavily influenced his interpretation of the results. It actually supports an omnivorous diet than anything else. LOL

Now all of my fellow omnivoric posters out there will be able to use the same "weapon" against any vegans/vegetarians that attempt to use this book.

Denise Minger did a very good data analysis on the actual findings of the study and what the true results were.
http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/
other sites
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/385/

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I have about six vegan books on my bookshelf and they all cite this study, and not much else, if they want to back up any claim that 100% non-animal products is the only way to be healthy or avoid disease.

Not in for weapon sharing though. That sounds a little violent to me;)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Very interesting indeed. I'm a vegetarian myself but I never thought it was healthier than an omnivorous diet (I also don't take your post as an insult). I generally think as long as you look out for what and how and in what quantities you eat any diet can be healthy. This of course also works the other way around with being unhealthy. Which is why I think that any kind of generalisation of a specified diet (like vegetarianism, veganism, but also no carbs or low fat) being more healthy than another is rather narrow minded. Apart from medical reasons, for things like low carbing, I don't see how any diet is supposed to be more healthy than another as long as you look out for what you eat.

Just my thoughts on this...
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Very interesting indeed. I'm a vegetarian myself but I never thought it was healthier than an omnivorous diet (I also don't take your post as an insult). I generally think as long as you look out for what and how and in what quantities you eat any diet can be healthy. This of course also works the other way around with being unhealthy. Which is why I think that any kind of generalisation of a specified diet (like vegetarianism, veganism, but also no carbs or low fat) being more healthy than another is rather narrow minded. Apart from medical reasons, for things like low carbing, I don't see how any diet is supposed to be more healthy than another as long as you look out for what you eat.

Well its just that before I started the post I wanted to let people know I didnt want to do this to attack their beliefs of animal rights.
    People try justifying their diet with it being healthier based off of research and that is a different story.
    The thing is that protein is not just protein. Not all protein is created equal. Amino acid complex does matter.
    ex. if 2 bodybuilders on an isocaloric diet. One had 100g of protein derived from steak, other had 100g of protein derived from plant based.

The animal protein bodybuilder would retain/build alot more muscle mass than the plant one
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Someone seems to have a chip on their shoulders about vegans vegetarians it seems. There are healthy vegan/ vegetarian diet as there are unhealthy ones. There are healthy omnivorous diets as there are unhealthy ones. Get over it and do your own thing.

As a vegan I have more problem with meat eaters writing total rubbish about protein and calcium. I as most of my vegan friends don't preach to anyone but will happily discuss with people if they wish. I've noticed with this forum there seems to be quite an an evangelical anti vegan lobby who will have a pop whenever they can (your post is proof of this) Get over yourselves and worry about your own diet rather than constantly trying to score points on others life style choices

Also I suggest you read Jack Norris on vegan sources of protein I'm afraid it shows your conclusions about quality of protein to have little basis
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Very intresting thoughts.
    My husband is currently reading this book....
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Someone seems to have a chip on their shoulders about vegans vegetarians it seems. There are healthy vegan/ vegetarian diet as there are unhealthy ones. There are healthy omnivorous diets as there are unhealthy ones. Get over it and do your own thing.

As a vegan I have more problem with meat eaters writing total rubbish about protein and calcium. I as most of my vegan friends don't preach to anyone but will happily discuss with people if they wish. I've noticed with this forum there seems to be quite an an evangelical anti vegan lobby who will have a pop whenever they can (your post is proof of this) Get over yourselves and worry about your own diet rather than constantly trying to score points on others life style choices

Also I suggest you read Jack Norris on vegan sources of protein I'm afraid it shows your conclusions about quality of protein to have little basis
    Quality of protein has little basis? no. I am talking about for optimal muscle building. Not all sub-categories of macronutrients carry the same function. I am not talking about the normal person. I am talking about a bodybuilder.

There are many posts in this forum advocating veganism or vegetarianism on the basis of the china study. I said in the inital sentence that I am not here to bash people who choose veganism as a choice of personal beliefs so its not antivegan on that base.

I said that specifically in the first sentence to make sure I did not offend anyone's personal beliefs.

I am against veganism on the basis it is healthier than an omnivorious diet. If you do not like it then you shouldnt be registered onto an online discussion board.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

You haven't been here long have you? We roadkill eaters are constantly barraged by the veg crowd. This post is very polite in comparison. Did you even read what he cited? Perhaps Mr. Norris is off base? Get over yourself.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Unfortunately this is about the data of the China Study, not about whether one diet is better than another, which I agree with you can be variable depending on the choices people make. Protein is always a sore spot for vegans and haven't seen many vegans that didn't think protein was very important......might have something to do with it's availability in a whole natural diet, without resorting to highly processed choices. Just my observations.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Unfortunately this is about the data of the China Study, not about whether one diet is better than another, which I agree with you can be variable depending on the choices people make. Protein is always a sore spot for vegans and haven't seen many vegans that didn't think protein was very important......might have something to do with it's availability in a whole natural diet, without resorting to highly processed choices. Just my observations.
    They can still obtain it via rice/hemp/soy protein. it is pretty pricey though. Most of them do not value the importance of protein.
    Honestly with veganism their sore spot (in my opinion) is b12.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

They can still obtain it via rice/hemp/soy protein. it is pretty pricey though. Most of them do not value the importance of protein.
    Honestly with veganism their sore spot (in my opinion) is b12.
    Yeah, b12 is quite common. Any diet has it's shortcomings in one way or another, but it seems vegans take it very, very personally and display the usual suspects in studies, that mostly are either not in context or are correlation type and bias or just outright bias. Vegetarianism and Pescatarian have always been shown to be more healthy than vegan, so it's not just us disgusting meat eaters that believe veganism has a few drawbacks, and when you get a Dr. like Campbell that in an obvious way (bias) relays data to only show one side of the story.....his side, to be quite disingenuous as a Dr. or scientist goes........he got personal and many didn't like it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Why do people like to argue with each other about what they eat?

Cheers to the study for trying to figure out what's healthy, but each person has to figure out for themselves what they should or shouldn't eat. My personal beliefs are not the same as all of my friends, and my metabolism is different too. Everybody's different.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed anyone uses that book for anything more than a paper weight or quick start kindling. Has anything been more clearly debunked? But I guess in the interest keeping the peace, I should not attack other people's religion. /le sigh
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Google Chaos and Pain-Vegetarianism and Veganism- The Best Indicators of Severe Mental Illness Since the Tinfoil Hat.
    The site is NSFW, but offers a good historic overview of veganism.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Well its just that before I started the post I wanted to let people know I didnt want to do this to attack their beliefs of animal rights.
    People try justifying their diet with it being healthier based off of research and that is a different story.
    The thing is that protein is not just protein. Not all protein is created equal. Amino acid complex does matter.
    ex. if 2 bodybuilders on an isocaloric diet. One had 100g of protein derived from steak, other had 100g of protein derived from plant based.

The animal protein bodybuilder would retain/build alot more muscle mass than the plant one

That's why we got whey protein powder and eggs :)

[/quote]
    Google Chaos and Pain-Vegetarianism and Veganism- The Best Indicators of Severe Mental Illness Since the Tinfoil Hat.

[/quote]

Hahaha!! Do you know my dad?? That's exactly what he thought when I told him I became a vegetarian :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well, that is an obnoxious and ridiculous article if ever I saw one.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Yeah, he is not for everyone but backs everything up with references.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1) - you can get a complete amino acid profile from plant based foods

2) - lets not confuse veganism with vegetarianism

3) - I agree that the China Study is a pile of cr@p when people try to use the 'findings' to tout the 'benefits' of a plant based diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yeah, he is not for everyone but backs everything up with references.

What, the fact that vegetarians are insane? Is that backed up? Also, conformational bias much?

I am pretty sure Dahmer was a meat eater...what should I conclude from that?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan from the age of 12 to the age of 25. I was sick as hell all the time, panic attacks, chronic fatigue, anemia, dizzy spells, brain fog, had to eat every 2-3 hours etc. etc. etc. This is NOT a healthy diet. And don't say I was a French Fry vegetarian. I ate produce, whole grains, beans, tofu. 100% real food diet.