Thank god for The China Study

Options

Replies

• KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Google Chaos and Pain-Vegetarianism and Veganism- The Best Indicators of Severe Mental Illness Since the Tinfoil Hat.
    The site is NSFW, but offers a good historic overview of veganism.

For real???
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Google Chaos and Pain-Vegetarianism and Veganism- The Best Indicators of Severe Mental Illness Since the Tinfoil Hat.

Well, that is an obnoxious and ridiculous article if ever I saw one.
    Yeah, he is not for everyone but backs everything up with references.

What, the fact that vegetarians are insane? Is that backed up? Also, conformational bias much?

I am pretty sure Dahmer was a meat eater...what should I conclude from that?
    Our ancestors were meat eaters too..it is how they survived. Modern agriculture allows vegan/vegetarians to survive. You can't sustain life on twigs and berries without modern agriculture.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

For real???

I know right!

I googled the article, felt slightly offended, then found another delightful site about how to make tin foil hats for beginners!

Here's a nice example:

F4704757-A71A-4ECB-9128-D0264FC7412B-840-00000132BBBA7F76_zps069a427d.jpg
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Why do people like to argue with each other about what they eat?

Cheers to the study for trying to figure out what's healthy, but each person has to figure out for themselves what they should or shouldn't eat. My personal beliefs are not the same as all of my friends, and my metabolism is different too. Everybody's different.
    Only one chance at life. there is health beyond micro and macronutrients, so you still have to be careful
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What, the fact that vegetarians are insane? Is that backed up? Also, conformational bias much?

Our ancestors were meat eaters too..it is how they survived. Modern agriculture allows vegan/vegetarians to survive. You can't sustain life on twigs and berries without modern agriculture.

What does that have to do with anything?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

What does Dahmer being a meat eater have to do with anything..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What does Dahmer being a meat eater have to do with anything..

Some example of loons who were vegetarians apparently means that all vegetarians are insane...so...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in ...for the vegetarian on omnivore battle..!
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Very interesting indeed. I'm a vegetarian myself but I never thought it was healthier than an omnivorous diet (I also don't take your post as an insult). I generally think as long as you look out for what and how and in what quantities you eat any diet can be healthy. This of course also works the other way around with being unhealthy. Which is why I think that any kind of generalisation of a specified diet (like vegetarianism, veganism, but also no carbs or low fat) being more healthy than another is rather narrow minded. Apart from medical reasons, for things like low carbing, I don't see how any diet is supposed to be more healthy than another as long as you look out for what you eat.

Just my thoughts on this...

Well its just that before I started the post I wanted to let people know I didnt want to do this to attack their beliefs of animal rights.
    People try justifying their diet with it being healthier based off of research and that is a different story.
    The thing is that protein is not just protein. Not all protein is created equal. Amino acid complex does matter.
    ex. if 2 bodybuilders on an isocaloric diet. One had 100g of protein derived from steak, other had 100g of protein derived from plant based.

The animal protein bodybuilder would retain/build alot more muscle mass than the plant one

1) - you can get a complete amino acid profile from plant based foods

2) - lets not confuse veganism with vegetarianism

3) - I agree that the China Study is a pile of cr@p when people try to use the 'findings' to tout the 'benefits' of a plant based diet.
    1)Yes you can obtain a complete amino acid from plant based food. this is true.
    but how much? my point was talking about the amino acid profile of animal based protein vs plant based protein.
    lower amount of protein intake the more important the profile is.
    but i was using 100g of protein just as a form of an arguement. with adequate protein intake from the numbers we put up it isnt as big of a deal.
    ex. leucine in 100g of protein
    whey -11g
    casein - 8.9
    egg - 6.8
    soy 6.6
    hemp - 2.5-2.8
    Then you have BV, etc(just got numbers off random websites, did not evaluate the AA profile of all brands)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-introduction.html

2) I know vegetarians can still be fine in the world of bodybuilding, i have been receiving vegetarian remakes since I been here in person on MAUI. Many of the haoles(white people) that happen to be hippies too are vegan/vegetarian and promote the china diet. I know you are a vegetarian. It wasnt directed toward all vegetarians, just the one who utilize the book as a source.

3) agreed
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Cheers to the study for trying to figure out what's healthy, but each person has to figure out for themselves what they should or shouldn't eat. My personal beliefs are not the same as all of my friends, and my metabolism is different too. Everybody's different.

In...

...for a discussion of the importance and ramifications of accuracy and completeness in scientific studies and in the conclusions derived from them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just popping in here quickly to say that claiming that vegetarianism is a sign of mental illness is ridiculous. Also Sara generally gets more protein than I do, and I'm a meat-eater. Saying the China Study is crap is one thing, and I'd completely agree with that. Saying that choosing to be vegetarian for moral, ethical, or preferential reasons means that a person has a mental illness is a completely different thing. Not cool.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Just popping in here quickly to say that claiming that vegetarianism is a sign of mental illness is ridiculous. Also Sara generally gets more protein than I do, and I'm a meat-eater. Saying the China Study is crap is one thing, and I'd completely agree with that. Saying that choosing to be vegetarian for moral, ethical, or preferential reasons means that a person has a mental illness is a completely different thing. Not cool.

i did not say anything about vegetarians having a mental illness
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Agree 100%

My husband has been a vegetarian his entire life (most of his family are veg. as well), and as far as I know they are all pretty mentally stable. However, I haven't checked the property for suspicious recently dug up spots, perhaps I better get on that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1) - you can get a complete amino acid profile from plant based foods

2) - lets not confuse veganism with vegetarianism

3) - I agree that the China Study is a pile of cr@p when people try to use the 'findings' to tout the 'benefits' of a plant based diet.
    1)Yes you can obtain a complete amino acid from plant based food. this is true.
    but how much? my point was talking about the amino acid profile of animal based protein vs plant based protein.
    kinda straw man but just talking about .25g of EAA is not essential for muscle building so plant based protein would have to be pickier based upon the amino acid profile.
    ex. leucine in 100g of protein
    whey -11g
    casein - 8.9
    egg - 6.8
    soy 6.6
    hemp - 2.5-2.8
    Then you have BV, etc(just got numbers off random websites, did not evaluate the AA profile of all brands)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-introduction.html

2) I know vegetarians can still be fine in the world of bodybuilding, i have been receiving vegetarian remakes since I been here in person on MAUI. Many of the haoles(white people) that happen to be hippies too are vegan/vegetarian and promote the china diet. I know you are a vegetarian. I am v

3) agreed

I agree that you cannot get as good 'bang for your protein/EAA buck' with plant based protein. Being on a calorie restricted diet makes it even harder. The few complete plant based protein sources are usually quite high in calories per gram of protein. Nutritional yeast is a complete protein (and usually has B12, which is a possible issue as you noted) - you get 50g protein for 281 calories - not bad...Per 45 calories, you get 592mg of leucine, which is in 8g of protein which = 7.4g per 100g protein - not bad at all...but who wants to (and who does) eat that much nutritional yeast!

Note however that the 'best' protein source is vegetarian :tongue:

(taking off some quotes)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You did not :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You did not :flowerforyou:

This is why MFP really needs to revamp their forums to have who said what added to the quoting feature
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

No.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Denise Minger is awesome. That is all! :love:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

No.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

:smile: