Paleo February Start-up

Options

Replies

• jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Torture isn't the way I'd describe it. It's incredible to step away from all processed foods and explore how tasty whole food can be. And since any diet requires calorie restriction to be successful, I'd say it's just a matter of priorities. I don't judge anyone who wants to eat pizza and doughnuts on their diet. But this is what I want to do. It's working, and save a bit of constipation, absolutely painless. I'm having avocado-berry smoothies for breakfast, discovering amazing new ways to prepare vegetables (can you say "roasted"? I roast 'em all), and look forward to every meal. Maybe this way of eating isn't for everyone, but I have gotten more and more into food--real food, not the processed crap Big Food wants to shove down our throats.

It's working. In 28 days, I've gone from 140 to 133.5 this morning. I could eat this way for good--regardless of what anyone calls the diet. And it's only restrictive if you think it is. I don't.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    well given OP said in here opening post that eliminating certain foods is "hard" .then yes it is torture…

how do you define processed? Is whole wheat pasta in a box processed? How about whole tomatoes in a can?

it is working because you eliminated certain food groups and put yourself into a deficit.

You can do the same eating processed foods (however you define that)...

• jvt63
    Options
    I should add that I'm an avid gardener and in a few short months, will be able to pick all my veggies from my own garden. I'm really looking forward to that!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    well given OP said in here opening post that eliminating certain foods is "hard" .then yes it is torture…

how do you define processed? Is whole wheat pasta in a box processed? How about whole tomatoes in a can?

it is working because you eliminated certain food groups and put yourself into a deficit.

Learning to play basketball or ride a bike is hard. Does that mean anyone who tries and isn't a natural the first time is torturing themselves, too?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Haha this thread got amazing.

Props to the ding dong thinking a calorie deficit was yo-yoing and paleo always wins, lulz.
  • jkwolly
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Learning to play basketball or ride a bike is hard. Does that mean anyone who tries and isn't a natural the first time is torturing themselves, too?
    Wow, let's compare apples to monkeys! WOO

He's right, paleo "works" because you're in a calorie deficit. Eating said restricted things won't cause you to stop losing, unless you eat a truckload of them.

CICO is what it's all about and I don't understand how people can't do simple maths?!
  • camaryal
    camaryal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've done strict paleo before. I enjoy that way of eating, but being super strict is not something I can sustain (I like beer and cheese too much). Here's what works for me: all the food I cook is paleo with dairy. Very rarely do I buy ingredients that have labels. When I go out to eat with friends or go to bars, which is about once a week, I can have grains or legumes. This is sustainable for me.

Some advice on what to eat. If you have a meat CSA at a farmers market you can do, I would highly suggest that. I've had meat CSA for a while and I never would buy meat at the grocery store. Additionally, it will be grass fed and cheaper than it would be at the grocery store. Veggie CSAs weren't for me because half the time I didn't even know what the veggie was and had no idea how to cook it. I just stuck to my regular veggies.

As for recipes, nomnompaleo.com was already mentioned, but I also love paleomg.com. Both are awesome recipe resources.

Now for some of my staple paleo recipes.
    Breakfast:
    -Easy delicious breakfast hash http://paleomg.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-hash/
    -Stuffed acorn squash http://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-breakfast-stuffed-acorn-squash/
    -Pumpkin pancakes http://balancedbites.com/2012/10/easy-recipe-pumpkin-pancakes-from-practical-paleo.html
    -Banana vanilla bean pancakes with mixed berry compote http://paleomg.com/banana-vanilla-bean-pancakes-with-mixed-berry-compote/
    -Pumpkin N'Oatmeal https://girlmeetspaleo.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/pumpkin-noatmeal-paleo-oatmeal/
    -Breakfast porridge http://paleospirit.com/2013/paleo-breakfast-porridge/

Lunch:
    -Paleo curried twice baked sweet potatoes http://paleomg.com/paleo-curried-twice-baked-sweet-potatoes/
    -Oven baked chicken nuggets http://www.agirlworthsaving.net/2012/12/paleo-oven-baked-chicken-nuggets.html
    -Smokey pulled pork http://paleopot.com/2013/01/paleo-smoky-pulled-pork/
    -Smokey bacon chili http://paleomg.com/smoky-bacon-chili/

Dinner:
    -Balsamic mustard chicken http://everydaypaleo.com/budget-friendly-balsamic-mustard-chicken-and-oven-roasted-bacon-veggies-by-erika/
    -Super easy tandoori chicken http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3251876576/super-easy-tandoori-chicken
    -Paleo krabby patties http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3635746431/paleo-krabby-patties
    -Cauliflower paella http://wellnessmama.com/8518/cauliflower-paella/

Snacks:
    -Bacon and chive sweet potato biscuits http://paleomg.com/thanksgiving-side-dish-bacon-chive-sweet-potato-biscuits/
    -Paleo ranch dressing http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/paleo-ranch-dip-a-condiment-for-vegetables-or-chicken-tenders/
    -Buffalo style cauliflower http://www.paleovegeo.com/2012/11/vegan-buffalo-wings-well-how-about.html
    -Larabars http://rawified.blogspot.com/2012/05/raw-larabars.html

Best dessert ever: Blueberry and chocolate chip bread pudding (though I never used chocolate chips and it's still incredible) http://paleomg.com/blueberry-and-chocolate-chip-bread-pudding/

For veggies, I eat at least 5 servings a day, usually in the form of raw or steamed broccoli and raw spinach with some paleo ranch. All (let me repeat, ALL) my meals have a veggie component.

I hope this is helpful. The best advice, which many have stated, is don't buy anything with labels. Second best advice, trader joe's canned coconut milk, not the box, the can. Get almond meal there as well. I normally get my coconut flour at Whole Foods. I also buy a lot of ingredients at Costco: sweet potatoes, flax meal, coconut oil, frozen mixed berries, canned lump crab, dates, nuts.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm not strict paleo and most of what I currently cook is in the "spirit of paleo," meaning I just try to make all my own food so I know exactly what goes into it. Once you get over the initial hurdle it's a lot of fun. Don't think of it as being terrifying and if you want to bend to rules, that's 100% okay. I like to think of paleo as eating what works for you, so adjust to make it to make yourself content.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

He's right, paleo "works" because you're in a calorie deficit. Eating said restricted things won't cause you to stop losing, unless you eat a truckload of them.

CICO is what it's all about and I don't understand how people can't do simple maths?!

You don't understand that people have priorities beyond a number on a scale. That's fine. Why suggest everyone who disagrees with you is stupid, instead of acknowledging that a number on a scale has nothing to do with your cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure or water retention - something that is an issue for everyone, whether they want to deny it until they turn 40 or not?
  • jvt63
    Options
    OP, take what you need from this thread, and leave the rest. Make up your own mind. I'd love to hear your experiences on Paleo going forward, whether it works for you or not.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

You don't understand that people have priorities beyond a number on a scale. That's fine. Why suggest everyone who disagrees with you is stupid, instead of acknowledging that a number on a scale has nothing to do with your cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure or water retention - something that is an issue for everyone, whether they want to deny it until they turn 40 or not?

Oh, yay! Another mystic! Please tell me my fortune too. While your at it what type of exercise do you do to actually address these issues or do you think Paleo is magic?
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love eating paleo, I started 4 weeks ago from the advice of BOTH my doctor and personal trainer. I've dropped a fair amount of weight in those 4 weeks and also FEEL better which is the important thing.
  • JPW1990
    Options

Oh, yay! Another mystic! Please tell me my fortune too. While your at it what type of exercise do you do to actually address these issues or do you think Paleo is magic?

I don't do paleo, and I don't think anything is magic, especially CICO eat anything you want and none of it will ever hurt you. If that was true, we wouldn't need insulin meds, cholesterol meds, blood pressure meds or diuretics. You still didn't answer the question - why sidestep? Why can't you acknowledge people who are not you have priorities different than you?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I don't do paleo, and I don't think anything is magic, especially CICO eat anything you want and none of it will ever hurt you. If that was true, we wouldn't need insulin meds, cholesterol meds, blood pressure meds or diuretics. You still didn't answer the question - why sidestep? Why can't you acknowledge people who are not you have priorities different than you?

Check my profile and see I have those priorities. That's why I exercise and if you look at my posts I have nothing against people doing Paleo, or keto, or anything else they feel is good for their health, but I just object to people trying to tell others that they will have issues with their health based on their posts. I'm 45 eat what I want and all my health markers are better than most people a 15 to 20 years my junior.
  • ndj1979
    Options

your comparison point is like comparing the earths atmosphere to mars...

my point is that unless you have a medical condition or food allergy there is no reason to restrict entire food groups.

Paleo is not necessary for fat loss.
  • ndj1979
    Options

bolded part has nothing to do with paleo ..

I eat all foods in moderation and my health markers come back as excellent at yearly physical.
  • jkwolly
    Options

Pretty sure I was addressing the fact that the person said CICO is a yo-yo diet and paleo wins. Did he not get that CICO is for weight loss, and comparing to paleo isn't comparing a like measurable?

Nowhere did I get into tracking macros/micros for health or addressing health benefits/issues of people, but on the SOLE purpose of weight loss, it's all about in vs. out - no matter what the eff is wrong with you.
    Diabetes? Sure, eat less sugar and carbs, but you STILL need to be in a deficit. Got it now?
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Thank you Cararyal for your common sense approach. I am looking forward to trying some of the recipes you posted.
  • jkwolly
    Options

Check my profile and see I have those priorities. That's why I exercise and if you look at my posts I have nothing against people doing Paleo, or keto, or anything else they feel is good for their health, but I just object to people trying to tell others that they will have issues with their health based on their posts. I'm 45 eat what I want and all my health markers are better than most people a 15 to 20 years my junior.
    Yuuuuuuuuh bro! <3
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Cararyal, your post rocks! I want to save all those recipes!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love eating fresh food and herbs from my garden. I love going to the markets and buying their produce. I eat fish, chicken, meat, dairy, eggs and experiment with any new vegetable I can. I don't feel deprived on this "fad" diet.

This morning I had the avocado smoothie suggested by Jvt. I added mango, banana, pistachios and coconut milk. It was really thick and I was about to add more liquid but started eating it. OMG it was like the most amazing ice cream. So I had that for breakfast. Yep definitely missing out on the good things in life.

Tonight was beef & vegetable stir fry. This list is endless. What am I missing out on? And now with Cararyal's recipes I have even more food to look forward to.

Diet is not just about losing weight. It is how the food makes you feel and I definitely feel more energised with fresh food in preference to processed food.