Newbie Runner: Front Leg Pain?

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....try to avoid hard surfaces such as concrete and blacktop.

The difference is marginal, although trail running does have many other benefits around ankle and knee control, as well as generally being harder work than road running.

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Shin splints would make sense. I keep telling my husband, who ran in his youth, that "my bones hurt". He says that's not possible. And yet, halfway between knee and ankle, same spot on both legs, that bone ACHES.

I still love running, regardless. So let's talk shoes.

I currently wear a somewhat crappy pair of running shoes. Basically, your standard cheap shoe. I am, however, someone who is barefoot pretty much constantly, and I wear flats, sandals, etc most of the year. Do you think I need more support, or less?

I've got 100 pounds to lose, and running is the only thing that has had ANY effect. I plan to keep at it and hope it gets better.

See a certified pedorthist at a shoe store. Call around to places like Brown Shoe, Natural Balance, or other speciality shoe stores that you have in your area.

Do not settle for anything less than a certified pedorthist, that is what they do!!! They are worth their weight in gold for your feet.

Oh, you pronounce it (PE-DOOR-Thist)....good luck.

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Shoes as many have recommended but also try to avoid hard surfaces such as concrete and blacktop. Run on natural surfaces such as fields and trails or cushioned surfaces such as the local school track.

For whatever reason, I find trail running more enjoyable and less painful. The enjoyment is likely because it's interesting. I do feel like it reduces the impact a bit. Still painful though! I had to cut my run short today. I was in so much pain I barely made it home :neutral_face: not great!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    sappy42 wrote: »
    I agree with most of the other posters, get fitted for a running shoe and have the store analyze your gait as well. I LOVED C25K, it changed my life! Now I always start my runs with a five minute walk and that help prevent my shin splints. While injures are more likely during running than just walking (can't the same be said of any exercise), I've been strength training since completing C25K and have had no injuries.

Good luck!

I am starting with the 5 minute walk as well, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The program I use alternates 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes, not inclusive of a 5 minute warmup and cool down brisk walk.

I've not been exactly sedentary. Lightly active more like. But I thought this program was okay for absolute beginners and maybe it was a poor choice. I'm just going to run around my block until the pain starts to ease up. I'm afraid of getting too injured on my trail to return home, which very nearly happened today.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    sappy42 wrote: »
    I agree with most of the other posters, get fitted for a running shoe and have the store analyze your gait as well. I LOVED C25K, it changed my life! Now I always start my runs with a five minute walk and that help prevent my shin splints. While injures are more likely during running than just walking (can't the same be said of any exercise), I've been strength training since completing C25K and have had no injuries.

Good luck!

I am starting with the 5 minute walk as well, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The program I use alternates 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes, not inclusive of a 5 minute warmup and cool down brisk walk.

I've not been exactly sedentary. Lightly active more like. But I thought this program was okay for absolute beginners and maybe it was a poor choice. I'm just going to run around my block until the pain starts to ease up. I'm afraid of getting too injured on my trail to return home, which very nearly happened today.

How fast are you running? As a beginner, and especially if you are in pain, chances are you are going too fast. Your running intervals should be at first really slow, maybe almost the same speed as walking, so your body gets gradually used to running. Do not worry about speed and distance, this will come later.

• jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Well done for keeping at it! Hope the shin splints improve soon
  • brookecampbell_
    Options
    If you are only starting to run, you will be sore for a few days or a week. It is normal, maybe a physio appointment will help if the pain is quite severe and taking you away from daily activities.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    [But I thought this program was okay for absolute beginners and maybe it was a poor choice. I'm just going to run around my block until the pain starts to ease up. I'm afraid of getting too injured on my trail to return home, which very nearly happened today.

C25K is ideal for beginners, but it sounds like you've got something pre-existing that's causing the problem.

I really would recommend resting the leg until the pain abates, then concentrate on getting appropriate shoes, and your form. Shin splints are an instance of microfractures on the shin, and tearing of the muscle attaches to the shin bone. Continuing to run will just exacerbate it.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not for you to take this wrong, but running is a very injury prone activity. But if you must, I would suggest that you extend the walking part .. and lessen the running, at least for a while. Running is very hard on the body .. and if I was you I would just do a brisk walk instead. All the benefits but no negatives. You just go slower.

Reading dumb stuff on the internet is very hard on my brain.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    OP:
    Get fitted for shoes at a local running shop, if you haven't already.
    Slow your running pace down.
    Increase your cadence (180 steps per minute - less ground contact time = less impact pain).
    Ice your shins after.