Health Benefits of Your Weight Loss?

Options
WillowWindow
WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
I love to see people's weight loss pictures and success stories, but honestly most people focus on the "looks" part of it. Not saying that isn't a great motivator, but It would be much more motivating for me if people included what health benefits they got after they lost weight. I have been on MFP for just over 3 months and lost 20 lbs so far and have noticed, along with moderate exercise, that my blood pressure is down and that I have stopped compulsive eating along with the overwhelming cravings. That's huge for me. Anyone have something health-related to share?

Replies

• aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have lose 15 pounds, and like you have stop compulsive eating. I feel better enjoy working out.
    I have also notice I love myself again!

Thanks for sharing your story
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I've stopped emotional eating and also it's improved my overall fitness so I don't get out of breath a lot like I used to.
    I've improved my diet so much and I eat a lot more natural foods and fruit & veg, which has been great for my skin.
    It's also helped me to cut down on smoking and for the first time in 7 years, actually think about and start working towards quitting.
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 15lbs and stopped snoring!!!!
  • bernadettemelvin
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. My doctor tells me that as long as I can get the weight off and exercise it will keep it in control. Meaning I don't have to use any medications.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My knee and shoulder pain is completely gone after starting an exercise program and dropping about 25 lbs.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    My decision to lose weight was started when I began to get breathless if I walked any distance. I also walked slower than I have ever done and took frequent breaks. I no longer have these problems, 45 lbs down I can walk at my normal (fast pace) without stopping till I reach my destination, and don't get breathless. Also I was waking up three and four times a night and was often tired during the day (perhaps sleep apnoea?), now if I wake up once it's a lot, and that usually around 5am. I recently got a sleep monitoring app on my phone and that confirms over the last month I've averaged 7 hours sleep a night at 86% efficiency. I am hoping that eventually my high blood pressure, which was caused by being overweight, will lessen or at least no longer require meds.
  • chavaaguirre
    chavaaguirre Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 25+ and its funny but there is a big improvement in bed!!!! if you know what I mean ;)
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My knees don't hurt anymore. I don't eat when I am upset or bored. I don't feel addicted to sweets and can easily pass. Food doesn't control me anymore :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Mine is not all about losing weight or fat, but recovering from eating disorders. The health benefits of doing what I am doing are no more ED symptoms, a flexible approach to food and fitness (whereas before it was rigid and compulsive and obsessive). As someone said earlier, because my hormones are all back to normal, the libido and all that are back to normal too rawr! I have less aches and pains being lighter though and generally can do more. I feel happier. I suppose that is a health benefit?!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Great post!! Yes Alot of people are in it for Vanity. I think that is a plus and dont get me wrong i love wearing some much smaller clothes right now but as far as Health benefits....

1. i am off BP meds
    2. I can pain my toenails without getting out of breath from a big belly in the way
    3. I have tons more energy
    4. My skin looks better
    5. Im not sluggish and lethargic
    6. I have a MUCH better mental attitude

to name a few....so health benefits FAR outweight the looks part of it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I went from being a type II diabetic, high blood pressure, cholesterol, bad back with aches and pains. I was taking 6 different medications to control it all. Now I reversed everything and no longer needs medications for anything.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I figured out that 'pushing through' my arthritic knee pain doing tons of cardio was unnecessary, and found movement that I love and can sustain forever in heavy lifting. I have more energy, in bed and out. :smile: I was on the borderline for type 2 diabetes, and now have completely normal blood sugar levels. The most important benefit has been learning that food is neither reward nor punishment, but a part of my life that helps me do all the things I love, and that I can enjoy without guilt.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't know so much about weight loss, but I do know that having muscle on me has helped even out some of my energy highs and lows, and it has made me feel less dizzy.

I've been a much lower weight before, so that's why I don't believe it necessarily had to do with weighing less, and had more to do with being active and having muscle.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't crave junk food nearly as much. Don't get me wrong, I'll have some chips here or some ice cream there, but 1) the portions are much smaller (half a cup of ice cream will do me now, compared to the large bowl I used to dig into), 2) most of the time, I actually find myself craving fruits and vegetables. I went to the store the other day to pick up my lunch for work and found myself REALLY wanting spinach and a mango. It's a weird feeling, but I'll take it.
  • MIGHTYMOUSE187
    MIGHTYMOUSE187 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have not lost what I want to yet but blood pressure and just to be overall healthier. Also with exercise I just want to be stronger than before my surgery.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've dropped my total cholesterol to 152 from 194 in November, and LDL to 88 from 119. (Not that I'm so proud of myself I've totally memorized all the numbers or anything....)
  • MIGHTYMOUSE187
    MIGHTYMOUSE187 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I sleep SO much better.
    I used to have a lot of digestive intolerances and would feel nauseated. Don't have that any more with the good foods I eat!
  • AshleighTB
    AshleighTB Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had gained a lot of weight from eating terribly with zero exercise. I started to snore... loudly. Now that I run 3-4 times a week I don't snore anymore!
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    -no more eczema. This is huge for me because I used to get terrible rashes on my hands and ever since I started, it's stopped even with all of the irritants in the air. Way less acne too
    -better sleep on less time. I used to need eight hours minimum and I'd be sluggish. Now I can sleep for six hours and feel way better
    -better concentration and better writing (I'm a writer for a living)
    -way decreased PMS symptoms
    -better libido ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!