Trying to get/keep lean muscle

Options
Hello!
I have been working out for awhile and was doing two-a-days for my sister's wedding. I lost five pounds and saw fat come off and more definition in my arms. I have cut back my training but now I am wanting more definition. As of now, I do kickboxing 4-5 times a week which is strength and some cardio. I do two HIIT workouts a week for about 50 minutes. I do yoga for 45minutes and do some circuit training after that with ten minutes of running. I run for an hour twice a week. Sometimes I do longer circuit workouts and once a week heavy lifting. My workout schedule changes week to week. When I put my workouts and all of my food into MFP, sometimes it says I am taking in 1,000 calories and somedays it is very low, somedays it is higher. I am trying to eat more but wondering if there is something I should change with my workouts. I've heard to do cardio 2-3 times a week and maybe have one longer day. I like the HIIT workouts because I do see results with them. Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice! My goal is to look leaner and put on more muscle. Thanks!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are your stats - height/weight/age/gender?
    Is the profile picture you? If yes, then you are already pretty small and not sure why you are only eating 1000 calories a day.

I think you would benefit from bulking and/or eating at maintenance level and lifting heavy.

Strong lifts and 5x5 are great beginner programs. If you are interested in bulking, you can always post in the gaining weight forum for more info.
  • markcomunale2
    Options
    Spend more time doing strength training and lifting.. Figure out your protien/carb/fat intake. I would tend to think from what you said that you need more protein and more lifting and less cardio. Just my 2cents.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my carbs and watch my fat/sugar. I would like to consume more protein. I'm 5'6 at 135lbs.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I love cardio but your workout seems to be a bit of overkill. Any reason why you are doing kickboxing 4-5 days a week? 3 should be enough for lean. No use exercising so hard and then not being able to eat it back. You may not like the results.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OK ...I went here and plugged in your stats

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

based on that if you were lightly active (1-3 times working out per week) your maintenance level calories are 1994, but based on your OP you appear to be moderately active (3-5 days a week workout) which puts your maintenance level calories at 2248 per day.

based on your statement of eating 1000 calories a day combined with your activity level you appear to be severely under eating.

Do you use a food scale to weigh/log/measure all your food?

I really think you would benefit from eating at maintenance, bringing down the cardio, and getting on a program like 5x5 or strong lifts...
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    I love kickboxing and it's always something different plus its a planned out class that I don't have to plan. The instructor is super nice and I feel bad if I don't go. I'm trying to eat more but just want to eat protein. Any ideas? I use MFP to log my food and guestimate on the weights and such. Guess I like to run during my lunch and clear my mind plus it helps to have a flat belly throughout the day. It'll be baby steps to cut back on cardio since I'm used to it. I just hope when I don't have a belly and gain fat if I do workout less and eat more and hope I didn't get my body used to that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about keeping a flat stomach, I'd give this a read:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You might be at a point since you are already pretty small that you might do better with gaining some muscle instead of just trying to lose weight. Something to think about at least.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    I love kickboxing and it's always something different plus its a planned out class that I don't have to plan. The instructor is super nice and I feel bad if I don't go. I'm trying to eat more but just want to eat protein. Any ideas? I use MFP to log my food and guestimate on the weights and such. Guess I like to run during my lunch and clear my mind plus it helps to have a flat belly throughout the day. It'll be baby steps to cut back on cardio since I'm used to it. I just hope when I don't have a belly and gain fat if I do workout less and eat more and hope I didn't get my body used to that.

why do you just want to eat protein? Carbs are essential for building muscle...and are not bad.

If you are just guesstimating then it could be that you are actually consuming more than 1000 calories a day ...
    here is my suggestion ..

get a food scale
    weigh/log/measure everything or two weeks and see how many calories you are really consuming.
    get on a structured lifting program and do cardio on off days, and make sure you get one, one hundred percent rest days.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'd take at least 2-3 of the cardio sessions and replace them with weight lifting sessions. Not machines but good old fashion free weights. Bench, squat and deadlift are 3 that are necessary IMHO
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I love kickboxing too but if you are also doing a 15 minute strength building portion, it just seems like a lot. Then you said you are lifting heavy one day too. I agree with the person regarding the food scale. You need to know how much you are really eating and get your deficit levels right.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Yea I will have to rethink my weekly workouts. Maybe no more late night kickboxing since I get up and workout before work. I usually have one complete rest day on Sundays. I am going to meet with a personal trainer who runs the gym and I'm sure he will help. I'm thinking weights MWF (kickboxing twice and one heavy day), HIIT on Tuesday afternoon. Long run Wednesday afternoon. Yoga thursday with circuit and 10minute run then HIIT on Saturday morning with an occasional yoga class. Thanks everyone! I am still tying to cut back on my workouts, I was slightly addicted but hopefully I will get more tone and things will even out. I plan on eating cleaner during the weekends. I usually have a cheat meal Saturday night and I only drink on weekends. A food scale is on my list of items to get.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Once you start lifting you will be hooked by how strong it make you feel and the results you'll see. Give it a shot. Use one of the programs suggested by ndj.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and eat....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ndj's advice is spot on. Do everything he said.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    So what do people consider a structured lifting schedule? How many cardio days to people do and what do you do for cardio workouts?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    So what do people consider a structured lifting schedule? How many cardio days to people do and what do you do for cardio workouts?

5x5 or strong lifts are great beginner programs.

you can do cardio on the off lifting days...

right now, I am bulking so I do minimal cardio = 30 minutes a week...but that is just me..
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Could you give me an example of one of your lifting days like what you do? Not sure what the 5X5 program is either.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ummm I am on a totally different program right now..it is a four day split, and more of an intermediate program...

the below sample work out is from their website:

StrongLifts 5x5
    Week 1
    Monday Wednesday Friday
    Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5 Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5Bench Press 5x5 Barbell Row 5x5 Deadlift 1x5 Barbell Row 5x5

so on Monday you would do barbell squats at 5 sets of 5 reps each ...then you would do barbell bench press at 5x5 and then barbell row at 5x5 ...

so on your "off days"...Tuesday/Thrusday/Saturdya you could do cardio and I would recommend making sunday a rest day.

here is he complete site...

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    okay thank you