Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    planet-fitness-no-deadlifting-notice.jpg

This is absolutely not true.

Except when they take all the barbells and plates away.

Bahhumbuggrumpycatface

• LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    PF is great. You'll alway have the PF haters, but it's your choice, not theirs. Never had an issue or anything taken away.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    PF is great. You'll alway have the PF haters, but it's your choice, not theirs. Never had an issue or anything taken away.

Crank isn't a hater. She was often the first person in PF bashing threads to defend them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Not every PF did that :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Yet. Cranq's just did so this week. She thought she had escaped up 'til now too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No one said they did. But if one did it is entirely possible that that sign is absolutely true as well.
    It is also possible that it may happen in the future to other PFs.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of walking. I live in Chicago and walk 4-6 miles on a typical day, year round. I walk 3 miles with a small group of people 4 days a week and by myself the rest of the time. I'm fortunate that I live in a place where I can walk to the grocery store, restaurants, shops and the gym (yes, I also go to the gym a few times a week).
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i had planet fitness for a year and really liked that i had three locations near me to choose from. The mornings were best not too crowded and i did the walk at 3.0 to 3.5 for 30-45 min and i did other machines to switch it up to not get bored.

I paid $20/m in order to use all PF locations. but if there are no other locations near you then $10 bucks is fine. I only cut my PF membership after I moved.

The nearest gym is gold's gym only 5min from me and although its $30 that's only 10 more than what i was already paying and it has some extra features, so its worth it. Good luck to you.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

No one said they did. But if one did it is entirely possible that that sign is absolutely true as well.
    It is also possible that it may happen in the future to other PFs.

There was a sign very similar to that in the pf I went to. It said no deadlifting, Olympic lifts and something else I can't remember. Violation could lead to Membership termination. I switched gyms before they did the remodel and removed the benches and squat racks.
  • padrojam
    Options
    I also use PF and I understand that it may not be what some call a "real gym" BUT I truely believe you get out what you put in, and to that end I have been very happy with my membership! I would highly recommend it! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Oh, okay. So if, 98% of the locations do this, it's not fair to say that this is what the places do? Are we unfairly tarnishing their reputation?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way that when people say "Planet Fitness absolutely does NOT prohibit deadlifting! People deadlift at my PF all the time," they're often thinking of the Smith machine. The thing is, using the Smith machine for this purpose is not true deadlifting, and it also forces one's joints to move in unnatural ways.

http://stronglifts.com/deadlifting-smith-machine/
  • mrsleex4
    Options
    I have been a member of PF now for 1yr and half. I live it. Don't understand some people's hate tward that place. It has everything I need open 24hrs. I go in do what I need and get on. I have transformed my body and continue to be on the journey. Walking along will work to a point but very slow. You have to combine cardio, weights and clean eating.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
  • tanyabecka
    tanyabecka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I HATED going to planet fitness. I was just a number, there were loads of rude members and the "water beds" are not worth it. They tried to get me to pay ridiculous cancellation fees and I told them to f off. I'm at a W Fitness now, its smaller and I have incredible support (I've lost 31 lbs in 2 months). Add me if you think we'd be great support for one another!
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a lot against planet fitness and would rather pay triple the price to go to another gym where I feel comfortable working out as hard as I can and wearing whatever I want. However, if your main goal is to shred fat and calories its not a bad deal. I would say to give it a shot, maybe you can get free trial and see how you like it first.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a lot against planet fitness and would rather pay triple the price to go to another gym where I feel comfortable working out as hard as I can and wearing whatever I want.
    This is really the biggest problem with PF. It's possible to make physical improvements there; however, their policies tend to discourage working hard and ridicule the people who do. They also tend to promote gym going as a "relaxing" activity (hence their huge "relaxation zones"). Relaxation has its place, but it's generally not a great way to get fit.
  • scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started at planet fitness but once my goals started to change to more lifting I had to change gyms
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    So, to recap... It may be a good place to start, depending on your goals, but you’re likely to outgrow it, particularly if you want to do heavy lifting. It is a great atmosphere for some, but corporate has pushed to remove muscle strength modalities (although not all clubs have adopted this requirement).

Did I miss anything?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    So, to recap... It may be a good place to start, depending on your goals, but you’re likely to outgrow it, particularly if you want to do heavy lifting. It is a great atmosphere for some, but corporate has pushed to remove muscle strength modalities (although not all clubs have adopted this requirement).

Did I miss anything?

Nope- that pretty much covers it haha