Thoughts on "Quiting Sugar"?

Options

Replies

• IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In contrast to many posters I believe there is a growing body of evidence that (refined) sugar is pretty nasty stuff. Cancer & diabetes type II being the major issues.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    totally unnecessary unless you have a medical condition …

are you really never going to eat fruit, vegetables, bread, etc, because sugar?
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi OP:

Here's my experience with sugar.

About 10 years ago, I stopped eating dessert foods -- both sugar and sugar free -- because I couldn't stop eating them. I only ate foods that had sugar listed as the 4th or fewer ingredient.

Once I made the decision to give dessert foods up, it was fantastic. In addition to losing a lot of weight, I stopped having period cramps, mood swings, sweet food cravings, and binges.

That's my experience.

***disclaimer: Just for clarity, nowhere in this post do I claim the following:
    • the chemical glucose causes people to be fat;
    • sugar is toxic;
    • sugar is the devil;
    • everyone should do exactly what I do;
    • sugar is addictive;
    • natural sugar and refined sugar are totally different things;
    • CICO doesn't work;
    • "clean eating" is the only way lose weight
    • Sasquatch is real
    • the moon landing wasn't real

• ndj1979
    Options
    Hi,

What are your thoughts on quitting sugar?
    Has anyone ever quit sugar and what were you results?

If by sugar you mean, refined sugar, there is no better thing to do, if by sugar you mean ALL sugar, you can do it temporarily if you are very overweighted, but is not good to go low carbs for long time, the body needs some carbs, not too many but it needs, specially if you are a sugar burner.

wait, so one form of sugar is better than another…??
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In contrast to many posters I believe there is a growing body of evidence that (refined) sugar is pretty nasty stuff. Cancer & diabetes type II being the major issues.

got anything to back that up….???

peer reviewed sources would be preferred..and not some BS fear mongering web site..
  • duna_pruna
    duna_pruna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been at a vastly reduced sugar level for the last 1.5 years and I noticed that I am not getting sick anymore. It seems to affect my immune system. However, I will note, that I am a sugar addict naturally so it's not like I was moderate with my intake.
  • duna_pruna
    duna_pruna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Please note that I am not a low carb / zero carb person. I'm talking about garbage food and way too much of it. I believe that I had a problem and my health is improved because of controlling it
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Hi,

What are your thoughts on quitting sugar?
    Has anyone ever quit sugar and what were you results?
    OP are you considering quitting sugar because you have trouble resisting it or because you believe it to be very unhealthy or both?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Quitting? virtually impossible.
    Cutting back on unnecessary added/refined sugars? Sure, why not, if it's sustainable for you.
    I did it about 14 years ago. Well, 16 years ago for soda, 14 years ago for snacks and refined stuff.
    Limiting refined sugar is a great way to reduce calories! And lead to easier compliance due to less hunger and cravings.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    duna_pruna wrote: »
    Please note that I am not a low carb / zero carb person. I'm talking about garbage food and way too much of it. I believe that I had a problem and my health is improved because of controlling it

define "garbage food" ..as am I unaware of such food …

food is energy ..

your overall diet, dosage, and hitting calorie/macro/micro target is what matters…not individual food choice...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    duna_pruna wrote: »

Here we go, more food demonizing.

would fall right in line with sugar demonizing...
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    'Sugar: The Bitter Truth' 1.5hr vid @YT:
    youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=dBnniua6-oM
  • ndj1979
    Options
    tq33702 wrote: »

oh look, right on cue….

that train is never late...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    tq33702 wrote: »

WNYEj9G.gif
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As someone who is insulin resistant due to a valid medical condition no it is not necessary to give it up and no it does not cause diabetes or cancer. Being overweight causes type 2 diabetes in certain people, usually because they have an underlying condition (like my PCOS) and when you gain weight it lowers your insulin resistance even more.

What my doctor told me is that what a normal person should do most days is keep there added sugar levels at the recommend daily in take of sugar. As in don't count the sugar in your fruit or veggies but count the sugar in that salad dressing you have or in that cookie.
  • courtneymedwell2014
    Options
    I haven't quit sugar as such however I had a massive chocolate addiction and have not touched chocolate/lollies etc in 4 months. It was very hard to begin with but using fruit etc did help a lot. I was more of the opinion that there is nothing good in it for me, and a lot of bad, including the addictive behaviour surrounding it so had to go cold turkey. I had tried to only have it on a 'cheat day' but that did not break the addiction/cycle of cravings and comfort eating.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I haven't quit sugar as such however I had a massive chocolate addiction and have not touched chocolate/lollies etc in 4 months. It was very hard to begin with but using fruit etc did help a lot. I was more of the opinion that there is nothing good in it for me, and a lot of bad, including the addictive behaviour surrounding it so had to go cold turkey. I had tried to only have it on a 'cheat day' but that did not break the addiction/cycle of cravings and comfort eating.

*sigh*