Are White Foods the Work of the Devil?

Options

Replies

• BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    DD16PK.jpg

Devil food that's only partially white.

They look processed and sweet. Where can I get them ? :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist. I don't literally believe white foods are the work of the devil.

It was trying to throw the question out there in humorous way ( it went over the heads of some people )

I have cut out white carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta and bread) and replaced with veg. I just wanted people tell me about their trigger foods.

I'm sorry if people misunderstood the posting.

Why are you cutting out "white" carbs though? Is there a reason?

Because I wanted to up my protein and eat more veg and to stay under my calorie allowance of 1700 which is hard to do if bread and pasta are using up 700 of that.

Since I started cutting out bread and pasta my chocolate consumption has dropped to almost zero. Its wasn't my plan it just happened.

You're doing what works for you. That's how it should be. Just be sure that you don't look at this as a 'diet' (a short-term fix), but as a lifelong change, and make the changes that you would be sustainable forever.

Personally, I eat all sorts of "white foods". If I don't, I'd be miserable, and who wants to be (or be around) a miserable skinny person?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist. I don't literally believe white foods are the work of the devil.

It was trying to throw the question out there in humorous way ( it went over the heads of some people )

I have cut out white carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta and bread) and replaced with veg. I just wanted people tell me about their trigger foods.

Because I wanted to up my protein and eat more veg and to stay under my calorie allowance of 1700 which is hard to do if bread and pasta are using up 700 of that.

Since I started cutting out bread and pasta my chocolate consumption has dropped to almost zero. Its wasn't my plan it just happened.

If you're eating 700 calories in bread and pasta, you're not eating the recommended serving sizes.

!00g of uncooked pasta is roughly 350 calorie and 3 slices of toast is almost 400 and that doesn't include the butter.

If I was eating 2500 calories a day like I should have been I wouldn't have joined a weight lose website.

If you asked any one who has lost weight they all have little tricks that work for them. Good or Bad but they worked .

And why are you questioning my eating patterns?

I assumed that you were saying you were eating 700 calories of bread and pasta AFTER you started tracking and trying to lose weight. If you measure a single serving of pasta or bread and are staying in your calorie goals, it is very easy (assuming they aren't trigger foods) to eat a reasonable amount of those things.

I eat Arnold's Double Fiber whole wheat bread. The slices are huge and 100 calories and I only eat one slice a day, if at all. On the other hand, my daughter prefers Nature's Own butter bread (which is basically white bread) and it's 60 calories a slice and not even a diet version of bread. Two ounces of dry pasta (a serving) is about 200 calories. So on a day I might eat bread AND pasta, it's around 300 calories and would be less if I chose white bread.

You said you were giving those things up in favor of vegetables, but you don't have to if you track your servings and eat reasonable amounts.
  • BillyPinky
    Options

I have cut out white carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta and bread) and replaced with veg. I just wanted people tell me about their

trigger foods.

If you're eating 700 calories in bread and pasta, you're not eating the recommended serving sizes.

!00g of uncooked pasta is roughly 350 calorie and 3 slices of toast is almost 400 and that doesn't include the butter.

If I was eating 2500 calories a day like I should have been I wouldn't have joined a weight lose website.

If you asked any one who has lost weight they all have little tricks that work for them. Good or Bad but they worked .

And why are you questioning my eating patterns?

I assumed that you were saying you were eating 700 calories of bread and pasta AFTER you started tracking and trying to lose weight. If you measure a single serving of pasta or bread and are staying in your calorie goals, it is very easy (assuming they aren't trigger foods) to eat a reasonable amount of those things.

I eat Arnold's Double Fiber whole wheat bread. The slices are huge and 100 calories and I only eat one slice a day, if at all. On the other hand, my daughter prefers Nature's Own butter bread (which is basically white bread) and it's 60 calories a slice and not even a diet version of bread. Two ounces of dry pasta (a serving) is about 200 calories. So on a day I might eat bread AND pasta, it's around 300 calories and would be less if I chose white bread.

You said you were giving those things up in favor of vegetables, but you don't have to if you track your servings and eat reasonable amounts.

Thank you for your advice :)
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    As someone who's 6'1 and well built 2oz of pasta isn't going to cut it. I'll stick to my cabbage and swede.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Chocolate is brown. :tongue:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Chocolate is brown. :tongue:

Unless it's white chocolate :laugh:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Not white chocolate!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating all the white foods (Bread, pasta , potatoes and rice) and replaced them with more protein and loads of veg.

And I have stop carving sweet stuff (well almost I did have a Crunchie and two finger KitKat last week) . I don't know if it's all in my head because I'm enthusiastic about my new diet or is there something in banning white foods.

I don't believe in the devil but white carbs cause insulin spikes and out of control hunger that don't make me eat in a healthy manner. When I avoid them I don't experience food cravings.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If they are the work of the devil then I say "HAIL, SATAN!"

^ This. I love my pasta and potatoes! You could always opt for whole wheat pasta/sweet potatoes 'cus those are good too. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As someone who's 6'1 and well built 2oz of pasta isn't going to cut it. I'll stick to my cabbage and swede.

You keep contradicting yourself. Do whatever you want. But if you're 6'1" and well built (and a man), 1,700 calories is very low. It sounds like you just don't want to eat those foods and are looking for a good reason not to.

Seriously, the fact that you just don't want to is a good enough reason. You don't have to justify it.
  • BillyPinky
    Options

You keep contradicting yourself. Do whatever you want. But if you're 6'1" and well built (and a man), 1,700 calories is very low. It sounds like you just don't want to eat those foods and are looking for a good reason not to.

Seriously, the fact that you just don't want to is a good enough reason. You don't have to justify it.

Have you looked at the pictures of me on my profile and 1700 calories is the amount set by MFP.

Do you know any thing about losing weight because your talking out your *kitten*.
  • BillyPinky
    Options

Why do you have a problem with me not eating potatoes, bread and pasta ?
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Those foods have a high glycemic index which triggers something in your brain and gives you false hunger. There are also hardly any nutrients in those processed carbs. I rather eat my protein and veg any day. Also some with (like myself) with conditions such as PCOS have an even stronger reaction to the high glycemic indexed foods and get this raging hunger for no reason.

To the OP sorry some people on this site take everything too literal and to the heart. There are many ways to lose weight we all have our own means.
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    Those foods have a high glycemic index which triggers something in your brain and gives you false hunger. There are also hardly any nutrients in those processed carbs. I rather eat my protein and veg any day. Also some with (like myself) with conditions such as PCOS have an even stronger reaction to the high glycemic indexed foods and get this raging hunger for no reason.

To the OP sorry some people on this site take everything too literal and to the heart. There are many ways to lose weight we all have our own means.

Thank You for understanding :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the pictures of me on my profile and 1700 calories is the amount set by MFP.

MFP sets those goals on the basis of the data you put in. If you put in (as an example) that you want to lose 3 pounds a week, it will try to generate a 1500 cal/day deficit. Which may or may not be healthy or attainable.

Just to give you an idea, I'm a whole foot shorter than you and likely a whole lot lighter, (5'1", 111 pounds) and eat about 1400 cals/day.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    No. White foods are yummy. A nice white bread sandwich with turkey ham is delicious.
  • BillyPinky
    Options

MFP sets those goals on the basis of the data you put in. If you put in (as an example) that you want to lose 3 pounds a week, it will try to generate a 1500 cal/day deficit. Which may or may not be healthy or attainable.

Just to give you an idea, I'm a whole foot shorter than you and likely a whole lot lighter, (5'1", 111 pounds) and eat about 1400 cals/day.

What are you suggesting ?
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish and the thought of giving up Potatoes is a bit like giving up breathing but it's been pretty easy. Pasta has been harder because having the sauce with veg just isn't the same.

Agreed, it's sacreligious for us.

How do you feel about sweet potatoes?
  • faithfirst
    faithfirst Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I gave up all processed and "white" foods 23 days ago and I feel amazing. After the first couple of weeks I stopped wanting any pasta, rice, sweets, chips etc. It has increased my energy level tremendously and my workouts are better than ever!! I have challenged myself to eating this way for 30 days. I haven't weighed myself during but my clothes are falling off! So I would say at least for me white foods are definitely the devils food lol!