Are White Foods the Work of the Devil?

Options
BillyPinky
BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
I have stopped eating all the white foods (Bread, pasta , potatoes and rice) and replaced them with more protein and loads of veg.

And I have stop carving sweet stuff (well almost I did have a Crunchie and two finger KitKat last week) . I don't know if it's all in my head because I'm enthusiastic about my new diet or is there something in banning white foods.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I haven't had bread,pasta,potatoes or rice since last December. But I eat more FF yogurt, fish (crab,shrimp,etc) and FF cream cheese as well. (so those foods are white, right?) I don't think any food is "bad" but I do think that I eat a normal healthy amount of protein based foods and I don't get hunger pangs. I was a bad empty carb addict so I think they are just not foods I am good at controlling how much I eat, so I don't eat it. Also, I think my body is conditioned to want the foods I am eating now.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Elimination of pasta and rice has made a major difference to my energy levels. I have reduced potatoes, cereals and bread substantially as well, but still eat it occasionally.

I think lots of lean protein my body seems to like a lot. That together with lots of colourful veg and I've noticed a real improvement not just in energy levels but stuff like wound healing, improvement to skin, hair, nails etc. :flowerforyou:
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    From personal experience I find that wholemeal carbs are more satiating and I don't tend to get sugar cravings if I avoid sugar. Stick with whatever works for you!
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    Same! I noticed after giving up breads and pasta I feel much better. However, I think it had something to do with the portion sizes and how much I loved it though. =p
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    I'm Irish and the thought of giving up Potatoes is a bit like giving up breathing but it's been pretty easy. Pasta has been harder because having the sauce with veg just isn't the same.
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    I think the potato gets a bad rap. The rest of the whites, yes satan's spawn.
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    From a pure exercise/nutrition point of view, yes probably. But so is the fact that we don't grow our own veggies, tend (and butcher) our own flock, walk to market daily, sweat our *kitten* off in the summer and freeze in the winter. Our body evolves much slower than our society. :-) Having said all that, in moderation there's nothing wrong with "white foods." You more likely just eating more healthy overall and that's what your sweet-tooth is reacting to.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    Yep. Total work of the Devil.

"This kind does not come out but by prayer and fasting."

I'm not sure about the prayer, but kudos to you for yanking them out of your diet. Once I pulled even just bread out of my diet, my carb cravings went away as did my intense sugar cravings. I used to think dark chocolate was nasty and bitter, but since cutting bread out... it is the perfect sweetness and sweet foods (tried ice cream for the first time in 6mo last night) seem over done and I actually don't want them!

Fancy that, eh?
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    Yep. Total work of the Devil.

"This kind does not come out but by prayer and fasting."

I'm not sure about the prayer, but kudos to you for yanking them out of your diet. Once I pulled even just bread out of my diet, my carb cravings went away as did my intense sugar cravings. I used to think dark chocolate was nasty and bitter, but since cutting bread out... it is the perfect sweetness and sweet foods (tried ice cream for the first time in 6mo last night) seem over done and I actually don't want them!

Fancy that, eh?

You have done really well at losing 127lb. That must have been hard hard. More power to your elbow :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If they are the work of the devil then I say "HAIL, SATAN!"
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Must . . . not . . . make . . . jokes . . . about . . . crackers . . . and . . . white devils.

Seriously, though. "White foods" are fine in moderation. The only problem is that they are really easy to over-eat.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating all the white foods (Bread, pasta , potatoes and rice) and replaced them with more protein and loads of veg.

And I have stop carving sweet stuff (well almost I did have a Crunchie and two finger KitKat last week) . I don't know if it's all in my head because I'm enthusiastic about my new diet or is there something in banning white foods.

They are the work of the devil I concur :):) I still have white potatoes but other than that I have gotten rid of all white things from my diet....overprocessed and no good food value...stick with it! :)
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish and the thought of giving up Potatoes is a bit like giving up breathing but it's been pretty easy. Pasta has been harder because having the sauce with veg just isn't the same.

try brown rice pasta- good to eat and good for ya :)
  • BillyPinky
    Options

try brown rice pasta- good to eat and good for ya :)

At the moment I'm going to keep to my diet but I know I can't stay away from devils little helpers from forever. Then it will be the brown stuff.

I don't know if it's the removal of the white stuff or the increase in protein that's controlling my sugar carving
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Basically you got rid of foods that were heavily processed and had their fiber (and other nutrients) removed, with the exception of white potatoes.

Fiber contributes to making you feel full longer.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No.
  • BillyPinky
    Options
    No.

Would you like to enlighten us with your comprehensive answer :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Did you give up milk and yogurt too? Or white asparagus, cauliflower, onions, egg whites, beans....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No.

Would you like to enlighten us with your comprehensive answer :)

If a specific food causes you to over-eat and you aren't able to moderate the consumption of that food then I could understand eliminating it from your diet, but individual food items on their own are not inherently lipogenic.

And it looks like you've already hit on the fact that you don't know if it's the removal of these foods or the massive swing in macronutrients (added protein and likely added fat) that is blunting your hunger, and I would be willing to wager that it's the latter and not the former.

White foods are fine.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I believe it's the glycemic load of whites that cause you to crave, it causes your blood sugar to spike and then fall rapidly so your body scrambles for more sugar.