Obesity research-impossible to lose weight long term?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    This thread is entertaining. All of these posters saying "but I will be DIFFERENT" is crazy; all of the patients in the studies who regained weight thought they'd be different too.

The facts are the facts, and your attitude cannot overcome your biology. However, I will continue to work hard because it's the only option. I'd rather work hard to be in the 5% and know that I earnestly tried than the alternative of letting my blubbery behind waddle through life in a panting, sweaty mess. Maybe I'll be that fat guy forever, maybe not, but trying affords me a 5% chance and not trying affords me 0%, so it's an easy choice.

In this study/article I see absolutely zero evidence that points to this being a biology problem.

The only "biology" problems are some hormonal shenanigans after weight loss which lead to increased hunger and sort of want you to return to your former weight. If you're aware that it's going to happen, you can ride it out. I've read different time frames for how long the effect lasts.

The other factor which comes into play is a decreased TDEE among those who have lost weight compared to those who would naturally have been that weight. This can be somewhat offset by strength training during weight loss and taking diet breaks.

I don't remember seeing these factors mentioned in the article, though.

Therein lies the problem with the article. It's all BIOLOGY BIOLOGY BIOLOGY but doesn't show that the reasons are biological. I'm not saying there aren't factors, buy laypeople tend to hear the words "biology" or "genetic" and equate that with certainty or fate. Very very false

TRUDAT. There are a couple of posters around these parts who spread the doom and gloom about the hormonal stuff.

I think we all have an advantage here on MFP in that we're better informed about this stuff than the average person, though.

Sadly there are many here on MFP that ignore the data...if not we wouldn't have so many "sad" threads started.

There is also a fair share of those that are back for the 2nd...3rd...and more times.

Regardless sometimes...what we know doesn't always match what we do...life happens.

Also...the members of MFP is just a small percentage of people that are trying to lose weight. Many people NEVER research anything...they just try the next thing that comes along. People are desperate...they will try anything that "sounds" good. When it doesn't work out so "good"...they give up...

I will say that in the past couple of years I have learned more about nutrition and my body than I ever thought that I would.

Oh to be SURE... you can easily spot the looking for the quick fix people on here quite easily. And it's sad.

It's also fairly easy to spot those who have a good chance of making a real go of it, something drastic in their life smacking them sideways and derailing them out of nowhere notwithstanding.

I would guess the same could probably be said for your average Weight Watchers meeting, if you got to know the people well enough.

The bottom line, though? Thankfully, it's easier now than it was the first time I ever tried to lose weight to access all sorts of information. There was no internet back then! There wasn't as much shared information, there wasn't as much research that had been done.

The knowledge is out there if someone is willing to avail themselves of it and apply it in a way that it never has been before. That's a good thing. Hopefully, as time goes on, that will lead to better long-term successful outcomes.

Life events can definitely throw you. They can help, too though: I've seen research too that suggested that on the motivational side, dramatic events can also prompt a commitment to weight loss. (Big things like divorce and health scares, maybe not so much "Going to Mexico in three weeks and need to fit into a size 0 bikini noooooooowwwww")
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The bottom line, though? Thankfully, it's easier now than it was the first time I ever tried to lose weight to access all sorts of information. There was no internet back then! There wasn't as much shared information, there wasn't as much research that had been done.

The knowledge is out there if someone is willing to avail themselves of it and apply it in a way that it never has been before. That's a good thing. Hopefully, as time goes on, that will lead to better long-term successful outcomes.

But it seems like the short attention span culture that we have, even with older ones now, and the apparent inability to look something up, and then think critically about what they read, seems to be wasting all that great info.

How many times does someone start a new topic with a question without hitting the search button to discover the oodles of answers already given that day on it?

Is it laziness, or they think they are so unique (perhaps parental "you are so special" syndrome) that no prior question could possibly be the same as theirs and therefore need unique answers.

And many just want an answer given to them as to what to do exactly, not the why. Therefore when things change (uh, things change?), they don't actually understand what or why they need to change something too.
    Now they think something doesn't work, when in reality they failed to understand and change as required.

I see it getting worse actually, compared to 20+ years ago and forum/usenet groups where people came with their own research, wanting to make application of info learned or confirm what they had.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    This is why I will have to log obsessively for the rest of my life so I hope this website and the app never disappear. I don't trust myself.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I was never a big person until 3 years ago when I stopped working the gene of being obese doesn't run in my family so I think once I am down to 140 pounds I will be able to keep it off I don't exercise and have lost 10 pounds in a month I think ones determination to do something is alot

Hi,
    This is your friendly neighborhood molecular biologist popping in to say that there is no fat gene.
    Have a nice day :)

There might be. IRX3 interaction with FTO.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v507/n7492/full/nature13138.html
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You know, if I was a cynic, I'd say that the multi billion dollar food, diet, and exercise industries may have a vested interest in churning out studies that show people put weight back on and then have to take it off again.

It's almost as if they want them locked in a cycle that benefits all of them.

Yes, that's how WW and other slimming clubs make their money - people come back a second or third time... I guess weight can sneak up to you over the years and keeping it off is like a full time job
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think when you have a study that includes historical data, it will paint a less than positive picture. VLCD diets were the gold standard for many decades. I suffered through many of them as a youth when my mother put the whole house on a diet with her. Unlimited iceberg lettuce and yellow mustard, and 6 vitamin supplements a day, chocolate flavoured laxatives, chocolate flavoured appetite suppressant, plain rice cakes, unsweetened yogurt and 3 slices of tinned peaches, and list goes on. Of course diets fail.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I was never a big person until 3 years ago when I stopped working the gene of being obese doesn't run in my family so I think once I am down to 140 pounds I will be able to keep it off I don't exercise and have lost 10 pounds in a month I think ones determination to do something is alot

Hi,
    This is your friendly neighborhood molecular biologist popping in to say that there is no fat gene.
    Have a nice day :)

There might be. IRX3 interaction with FTO.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v507/n7492/full/nature13138.html

(I can only read abstract btw)

Ehhhhh.....
    Ok, so IRX3 is a hox gene, it is essential for embryonic neural development. When a mouse is deficient in the protein this gene codes for they end up weighing less.

This a neural development Hox gene. It's inlikely this is gonna make you fat. I can see it controlling appitite or satiety, but not anything like intestinal absorption etc.

So I accept your research, and it's interesting stuff (but I'd still not call it a fat gene.

Also, apparently IRX-2 makes boobs. Seriously
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned the national weight control registry. They study long term weight maintenance (the average weight maintenance for their members is 5 years). I like to read the articles that they have on how maintainers have maintained.

Here's a summary of their findings:

"There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
    75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day."

Aside from continuing to monitor your diet, I really think that the weighing once a week and exercise has a lot to do with it. You catch it before your weight balloons again and, for me, I naturally eat less when I exercise regularly (don't know why, I just do).

I just got the initial packet from NWCR this past weekend and I'm filling it out now-the only thing on that list that I do is weigh myself regularly (I've been a daily weigher for three years now). Can't wait to add my info to the database ;)
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    " If "my biology" allows me to lose 100 pounds, it will sure as heck allow me to keep it off if I do the work."

Oh Boy!!! Do I love that comment! That is so true. It's up to each one of us if we are going succeed or fail.

I am the master of my own ship.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've already learned that the day I stop dieting (weighing and counting and logging) is the day I start gaining.

I hope knowing that is going to help me beat the odds. I do think the studies about hormone/leptin dysfunction in people that have ever been overweight are interesting and a bit discouraging because it's kind of depressing to think there will probably never be a time when I'm not hungry/thinking about food for the majority of my waking hours.