megthehen wrote: »
    So what leads to obesity then.

Caloric surplus...

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So what leads to obesity then. Because we seem sure that it's not the macro nutrient dense high refined carbohydrate food we have been told is healthy for the last 30 years. The stuff I am reading is not old at all. Dr David Perlmutter, Professor Tim Noakes. Scandinavian countries have already changed their dietary guidelines to a higher fat and lower carbohydrate program because of the evidence that our dietary guidelines have caused an increase in diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer's. Read some yourself because it certainly made sense to me.

I think you'll find that many folks here have read about HFLC. Some folks prefer it, some folks don't. Most folks here don't believe in "detoxing".
    Figure out what makes it easiest for you to COMPLY with a weight loss regimen (AKA a diet). If that's HFLC great! Most folks still find they need to be in a calorie deficit.

That said: this is a calorie counting website (despite its name). Most people here are dieting by counting calories. Perhaps consider joining one of the low carb GROUPS on here, for like minded souls. But don't assume everyone here isn't well read. They've just chosen a different path. Worry about your path. If you believe too much sugar is bad (which it probably IS, given how little we really know), then don't eat it.

signed: Ive read. I eat Slower (and lower) carb than the S.A.D., and I'm happy.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Eating too much sugar does not cause type 2 diabetes. Here are the risk factors for type 2 diabetes (notice that "sugar consumption" is not on the list): http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/basics/risk-factors/con-20031902

I fully agree on this. If eating sugar caused diabetes, I would have been diagnosed a LONG time ago. Unfortunately I meet #4 for the risk factors. I just hope by maintaining a healthy weight and diet, I can avoid what my mom, grandmother and great-grandmother went through (or are going through)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am a little shocked that there are people still walking around saying that sugar does not cause weight gain.
    Over consumption causes weight gain. Eating/drinking lots of anything with high calories to excess will get anyone overweight.
    Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this.
    From the AMERICAN DIABETIC ASSOCITATION:

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/?loc=db-slabnav#sthash.na7qOSll.dpuf

Notice it says "link" not cause. Correlation doesn't equal causation.
    I am just attempting to eliminate refined sugar from my diet because I am borderline diabetic and I have massive carb cravings. I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without success. I am 30% overweight and lightly active. I walk a lot. I have read plenty of books and articles about how eliminating sugar and refined carbs and replacing these with fats will help with weight loss. I was just asking if anyone had done this 21 day sugar detox programme and actually not lost any weight. I intend to follow this for 21 days and see if I feel any better. Energy wise, weight loss wise and generally from a health point of view. I will let you know if eliminating sugar helps me lose weight in 19 days time. If it does, then I will certainly be continuing with this way of eating. If it doesn't then I might just stay in bed for the rest of my life.
    The issue is that regardless of whatever you've been eating, you're consuming more than you need to. That's why you're overweight. Sure reducing sugar will help, but it's not the CAUSE of you being overweight nor the cause of diabetes.
    Find out your TDEE and consume 500 calories less from it daily. That's a good starting point for weight loss. If reducing sugar for you helps, then do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    So what leads to obesity then. Because we seem sure that it's not the macro nutrient dense high refined carbohydrate food we have been told is healthy for the last 30 years. The stuff I am reading is not old at all. Dr David Perlmutter, Professor Tim Noakes. Scandinavian countries have already changed their dietary guidelines to a higher fat and lower carbohydrate program because of the evidence that our dietary guidelines have caused an increase in diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer's. Read some yourself because it certainly made sense to me.

over consumption of all foods lead to obesity ..

You can eat 100% clean, eat over maintenance, and gain weight.

sugar is not the culprit. I consume carbs/fats/proteins at normal levels and my healthy markers come back as almost excellent every year at my yearly physical.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Obesity is the result of HUGE PORTIONS and calorie dense foods regardless of make up.
    Trust when I tell you that people who are lean who eat low carbs can also get diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer's. Why? Because it's more genetic than acquired.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    My mother always said I would end up with Type II DM because I ate so much sugar and she ate very little. Guess who ended up with it and who didn't. She had a family history of Type II DM and was obese due to a poor diet that was low carb but still high in calories plus a sedentary lifestyle. I, on the otherhand, have a pretty high carb diet but am very active and my fasted sugars are dead centre of the range they should be (4.5).

Don't give into the hype just learn what is really going on because you can "detox sugar" all you want but if you have a family history you can still end up with it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Have you not heard of type 2 diabetes. Refined carbohydrate and sugar are absolutely the cause of this.

Sugar does NOT cause diabetes. How the body handles sugar is the main symptom of it. It happens when people have two or more of the risk factors for it. Those are:
    1. Genetics (which is why it is most common in people with African heritage)
    2. Obesity (eating significantly more calories than you burn, no matter where those calories come from)
    3. Age (the pancreas gets old, just like the rest of us
    4. Long term use of certain drugs (statins and antidepressants are the biggest ones for this)
    5. Certain types of cancer
    6. Certain types of treatment for cancer, especially in childhood
    7. If your mother had gestational diabetes when carrying you
    8. Other environmental things like presence of some pesticides and herbicides have some correlation but the causation is not proven yet, just being studied
    9. There is also some correlation to both mental and physical stress, but again, it is not proven causation but is being studied.

I have been overweight most of my life but had no other risk factors. I was diagnosed T2 last January. What changed? I got older (58 yr old now) and I have been taking antidepressants for 12 years. I have never been much of a sugar eater, I just eat too much food.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I became obese because I ate/drank too many calories.

I've lost 69 pounds because I ate/drank less - of the same foods and drinks I've always consumed.

I've also, in the course of my weight loss (while eating sugar, processed foods and carbs), reversed my insulin resistance. Which renders your entire argument invalid.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Type 2, however is when the pancreas cannot cope. This is as a direct result of excess dietary sugar. The pancreas is pumping out insulin to deal with high sugar influx. Insulin is released as a result of a raise in blood sugar. It tells the cells to open its doors to receive glucose. Hi concentrations of glucose is the blood and cells cause the cells not to respond to the insulin ( insulin resistance) . The pancreas creates more insulin to clear the blood of glucose without success. Eventually the pancreas just can't cope anymore. To my simple mind this means sugar causes diabetes. This is not only table sugar but all the refined carbs that turn to sugar very quickly once digested.

This is wrong. The fact that the pancreas cannot cope with the sugar being ingested is the main SYMPTOM of T2D, not the cause.

• jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You seem to have gotten a lot of negative response from this post unfortunately. People tend to be less nice when it is digital. Anyhow I just started the 21 DSD on Jan 26th because my cravings were out of control after the holidays and I wanted to re-train my body to crave more healthy food. I have not done this particular detox but have done healthy eating and South Beach before and it works (but I slowly start eating crap again and then need to clear my system). I understand out of control cravings. I like the 21DSD since it is set up with good recipes that are easy to make. I am on day 3 now of Level 1 and so far so good. I have been tracking my food but just to understand the macros since that is where I struggle in my diet. MFP set fat way too low IMHO since I eat a lot of good fats. I weighed myself at the beginning and am continuing exercising as before I started. I am not expecting to lose a lot if I don't have a calorie deficit, but I do expect to have more energy and less cravings which will in turn help me to make smarter food choices in the long run. Friend me if you want and my diary is shared to friends. Good luck with it and try and stick with it. If you haven't already joined the facebook group, do that since they are much more helpful than MFP.
  • jmy1975
    Options
    Also as far as the person that didn't lose weight (that originally inspired you to post this), maybe they didn't have much to lose, maybe they were already eating semi-paleo, and they may not have been eating a deficit or exercising to create one. They also may have been eating too few calories (which if you follow the meal plan won't be the case) which will cause your body to hold onto weight. Also weight is not the best indicator. You should take pictures and measure BF% (which I did). If you workout and build muscle you may not lose weight but you may lose fat.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jmy1975 wrote: »
    You seem to have gotten a lot of negative response from this post unfortunately. People tend to be less nice when it is digital.

What negativity? She was wrong about the causes of type 2 diabetes and it was pointed out...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    You seem to have gotten a lot of negative response from this post unfortunately. People tend to be less nice when it is digital.

What negativity? She was wrong about the causes of type 2 diabetes and it was pointed out...

correcting the records = mean/non-supportive/bullying on MFP .
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

That's wrong. You should obviously let misinformation sit out there for all to read/believe, uncorrected to avoid potentially hurting someone's feelings by pointing out that science contradicts random internet blogs.
  • jmy1975
    Options

That's wrong. You should obviously let misinformation sit out there for all to read/believe, uncorrected to avoid potentially hurting someone's feelings by pointing out that science contradicts random internet blogs.

I am all for correcting, but some people can do it in a more supportive way (and some on here did) but there were others that were not as supportive. I see it through all the message boards on here.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I am all for correcting, but some people can do it in a more supportive way (and some on here did) but there were others that were not as supportive. I see it through all the message boards on here.

I really have never understood this thought pattern. A person makes a strong assertion and when someone points it out that this is incorrect they are suddenly some bad guy/girl who isn't supportive. Seems like it was just a normal factual debate to me. If someone wants compelte, unquestioning support then engaging complete strangers on an Internet forum seems an odd way to achieve that goal. That's what friends and family are for.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I really have never understood this thought pattern. A person makes a strong assertion and when someone points it out that this is incorrect they are suddenly some bad guy/girl who isn't supportive. Seems like it was just a normal factual debate to me. If someone wants compelte, unquestioning support then engaging complete strangers on an Internet forum seems an odd way to achieve that goal. That's what friends and family are for.

seriously ...it is the internet..put your big boy pants on ...
  • shejuicy
    Options
    if a calorie is just a calorie, then... i'm confused

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/ - high fat
    http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-did-get-fat/ - high carb
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I can't be supportive of someone stating terrible information as fact. And I shouldn't be required to.

Every day some of us get on these boards, and we try to help people be successful. And every day we get called mean, unsupportive and negative. Because we answer the same questions over and over, we dispute the same misinformation over and over and we correct the same false statements over and over.

Sometimes, even the best of us get snarky/grumpy or just want to cut through the usual bs and get to the point. But we can't do that, without getting our hands slapped. Which makes me really question why I keep trying to help people.