But, what if I don't want to lift?

Options

Replies

• ladygi19
    ladygi19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lots of body weight workouts you can do at home, pushups, pullups, planks, sqauts, lunges just name some common ones. Look it up... even if you can't make it to the gym you can still get fit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ladygi19 wrote: »
    Lots of body weight workouts you can do at home, pushups, pullups, planks, sqauts, lunges just name some common ones. Look it up... even if you can't make it to the gym you can still get fit.

^^^And what many don't understand is that with the different variations this can be deemed "lifting heavy" with the progressive overload that comes with said variations.
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I knew before I posted I was going to get a lot of "you gotta lift, bro!" Reactions, and I appreciate them for what they are. I think that for me, the bodyweight training is the way I'll go- for now. I believe that lifting my fat@!! While practicing yoga makes me stronger than I (or others) may think I am- but I know that's not enough. Thanks for everyone's advice, but I don't see myself in a gym squatting 100lbs anytime soon. And that's ok with me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    As far as the whole elliptical or treadmill vs. weight lifting thing? OMG, I can't imagine anyone thinking that spending hours as a cardio hamster is less boring than lifting. I run. I run quite a bit. Give me the open road and I'll happily run 13.1 miles but more than a half mile on the treadmill and I'd rather open a wrist. It's sweaty and it's mind numbing even with a TV or music.

Would I rather run or ride outside? You bet. But goals don't wait for nice weather. Therefore I get the work done inside on my treadmill or bike trainer. Boredom doesn't cross my mind. The work has to get done, therefore the work gets done.

idk man, i got a bike trainer in november, and let me tell you, i don't know if i'll ever ride my bike outdoors again!! no people and cars to avoid, no potholes, dogs. no junk miles wasted getting to the proper bike path.

the treadmill still sucks but i did what i had to inside because of yesterdays "blizzard."

I get a *BETTER* workout on my bike trainer than riding outside. As you say, no interruptions, traffic lights, cars, potholes, etc. Just me and my suffering.

To each his own, I suppose, but to me, riding on a trainer is torture. Our winter temperatures are usually above freezing where I live, so riding outside is always an option, but riding the trainer feels like death. I want to be outside to feel the wind on my face and to see what is happening in the world.

honestly man, i thought the same thing. that i'll get bored, that i won't be able to go for more than a few minutes. but i love my indoor trainer. i can focus entirely on cadence and my heartrate and my pedal stroke. i can do intervals properly, and do hard climbs and it's all coming from my legs, not from me weight cruising down hills and such. and an indoor trainer i don't have to worry about the bad weather, and i can catch up on my DVR.

a typical outdoor ride for me was this: okay, red light coming up, got to stop... okay, time to go, jerk just cut me off!! okay, coming up is that pot hole they never fixed... where is that pot hole? looks like they fixed that pot hole!! but not that one WATCHOUT! hey, this guy is crossing in the middle of the street, lucky i don't hit him on purpose... is that guy running in the bike path? ugh... with headphones on... let me scream "on your left" as i pass and see if they freak out! they did!! hahaha!!! runners suck..."

you get the idea.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah but I cycle to get places, not to exercise. It's transportation. Like driving a car.

Cycling indoors just seems pointless to me and I get easily bored.

Then again, I love to ski, and that involves going up a chair lift and down a mountain all day. Which I suppose is equally pointless, only I don't get bored 'cause I love doing it.

To each his own, right?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Cycling indoors just seems pointless to me and I get easily bored.

it's increasing my fitness, so it has a point, right?

i'm totally jealous of your ability to ride your bike to work though. i live to far away and have too crazy hours to make it a viable option.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I have tried riding to work before. It is about 20 miles of crazy roads. And in the end the workout wasn't that good. I find it was much more effective to drive and bring my bike and clothes with me to work, and just go for a ride on the trail after work. Then drive home. While I would certainly *prefer* to ride outside, I am fully aware that indoor training makes for a better workout. I do about half my bike time indoors even on the nicest of spring and summer days.

Wow that is a total threadjack... sorry
  • AmberStarr_87
    Options
    I don't mind- I like reading everyone's fitness preferences. I find it inspiring lol
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    i'm totally jealous of your ability to ride your bike to work though. i live to far away and have too crazy hours to make it a viable option.

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky to live close to downtown and only have about a 30-minute bike ride from to office. I use our local bikeshare program, which is available April to November. My office building has showers and changing rooms too (because there's a gym downstairs), which is nice on the hot sticky days. I also it to get around the city for smaller trips -- to restaurants or social events or shopping. Driving is a pain and parking is an even bigger pain, so on the winter months or for non-bikeable trips I mostly use public transit, or walk.

If it were up to me, everyone would have this option. I get that it's just not realistic for many people. But it's an option for me, so it's one that I take advantage of.

And yeah, sorry for the thread hijack.

FWIW, I hate lifting weights, too.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I knew before I posted I was going to get a lot of "you gotta lift, bro!" Reactions, and I appreciate them for what they are. I think that for me, the bodyweight training is the way I'll go- for now. I believe that lifting my fat@!! While practicing yoga makes me stronger than I (or others) may think I am- but I know that's not enough. Thanks for everyone's advice, but I don't see myself in a gym squatting 100lbs anytime soon. And that's ok with me.

It should be. While strength training is good for your body and your bone density, lifting heavy weights is not the only way to a fit body. Your yoga practice sounds like it is absolutely enough to get you to where you want to be.

I hate strength training. I've been trying to stick with a program for a couple years now, by myself, with a trainer, with my lifting-obsessed fiance, at home, at the gym, and it never, ever lasts because I don't enjoy it. I'm not torturing myself with it anymore and I'm not interested in having anyone tell me otherwise because I'm happy with the way my body looks without it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I feel as though you're kind of missing the forest for the trees here. Lifting heavy indicates a progressive overload, which can be done through bodyweight exercises...as long as there's the overload. Not only does it help with strength, but maintaining lean body mass. When you're in a deficit, your body loses water, fat, and muscle. To combat the muscle/LBM loss many people incorporate a heavy lifting program (either through the gym, at home with weights, or body weight variations) to accomplish it.

Saying you knew that you were going to get a log of "you gotta lift, bro!" reactions, IMHO, is pretty condescending to the people who gave you great information.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Lift your 4 kids.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Worse case just don't lift and don't be as fit as possible

Sorry but this makes me laugh. It really depends on what you define as "fit". There is zero reason to lift weights if you don't want to. You can be amazingly "fit" without weights.

Absolutely agree with this. Cyclists and swimmers who don't weight train are very good examples.

there are many cyclists and swimmers who do weight train...they aren't doing strong lifts or anything (because goals)...but most athletes I know, regardless of discipline do some kind of resistance work to varying degrees...and it also depends on if they're in season or not.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As far as the whole elliptical or treadmill vs. weight lifting thing? OMG, I can't imagine anyone thinking that spending hours as a cardio hamster is less boring than lifting. I run. I run quite a bit. Give me the open road and I'll happily run 13.1 miles but more than a half mile on the treadmill and I'd rather open a wrist. It's sweaty and it's mind numbing even with a TV or music.

Would I rather run or ride outside? You bet. But goals don't wait for nice weather. Therefore I get the work done inside on my treadmill or bike trainer. Boredom doesn't cross my mind. The work has to get done, therefore the work gets done.

idk man, i got a bike trainer in november, and let me tell you, i don't know if i'll ever ride my bike outdoors again!! no people and cars to avoid, no potholes, dogs. no junk miles wasted getting to the proper bike path.

the treadmill still sucks but i did what i had to inside because of yesterdays "blizzard."

I get a *BETTER* workout on my bike trainer than riding outside. As you say, no interruptions, traffic lights, cars, potholes, etc. Just me and my suffering.

To each his own, I suppose, but to me, riding on a trainer is torture. Our winter temperatures are usually above freezing where I live, so riding outside is always an option, but riding the trainer feels like death. I want to be outside to feel the wind on my face and to see what is happening in the world.

honestly man, i thought the same thing. that i'll get bored, that i won't be able to go for more than a few minutes. but i love my indoor trainer. i can focus entirely on cadence and my heartrate and my pedal stroke. i can do intervals properly, and do hard climbs and it's all coming from my legs, not from me weight cruising down hills and such. and an indoor trainer i don't have to worry about the bad weather, and i can catch up on my DVR.

a typical outdoor ride for me was this: okay, red light coming up, got to stop... okay, time to go, jerk just cut me off!! okay, coming up is that pot hole they never fixed... where is that pot hole? looks like they fixed that pot hole!! but not that one WATCHOUT! hey, this guy is crossing in the middle of the street, lucky i don't hit him on purpose... is that guy running in the bike path? ugh... with headphones on... let me scream "on your left" as i pass and see if they freak out! they did!! hahaha!!! runners suck..."

you get the idea.

I can't say I've had that different of an experience, but even with all the stuff (like the driver last week who decided to run the stop sign after I got into the intersection) I prefer getting outside and going somewhere. There was one year that I tried very hard to ride the trainer, but once the new wore off, I hated it. At the time, I thought it would be better than riding in the cold. This year I spent my money on warm clothing and bright lights. As a result, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in January.
  • glevinso
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Worse case just don't lift and don't be as fit as possible

Sorry but this makes me laugh. It really depends on what you define as "fit". There is zero reason to lift weights if you don't want to. You can be amazingly "fit" without weights.

Absolutely agree with this. Cyclists and swimmers who don't weight train are very good examples.

there are many cyclists and swimmers who do weight train...they aren't doing strong lifts or anything (because goals)...but most athletes I know, regardless of discipline do some kind of resistance work to varying degrees...and it also depends on if they're in season or not.

I guess to be fair I do a 1hr (fairly intense) yoga session per week, plus 3x 20 minute "core" sessions that involve planks, pushups, crunches and various other things. So although I don't lift anything, I do end up with a reasonable amount of core and resistance training. Just not enough to mess up my swimming, riding or running speeds.
  • glevinso
    Options

you get the idea.

I can't say I've had that different of an experience, but even with all the stuff (like the driver last week who decided to run the stop sign after I got into the intersection) I prefer getting outside and going somewhere. There was one year that I tried very hard to ride the trainer, but once the new wore off, I hated it. At the time, I thought it would be better than riding in the cold. This year I spent my money on warm clothing and bright lights. As a result, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in January.

The Sufferfest + Trainer Road = How to become a bike beast
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a big believer in doing what you like and will stick to. I like variety so I hike, play soccer, lift weights, and do yoga. The thing I hate is straight up running - which is a lot of people's favorite thing. Ehh, I don't need to like something just because someone else does. If you end up feeling like you need more muscle mass for your goals later, adjust your plan. Until then, enjoy!
  • AmberStarr_87
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Saying you knew that you were going to get a log of "you gotta lift, bro!" reactions, IMHO, is pretty condescending to the people who gave you great information.

No part of me appreciating everyone of the suggestions I got (including the "you gotta lift, bro!" Ones) was condescending. I appreciate the input, individually- for what it is. If that somehow translates to me patronizing anyone, I apologize.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i need to do more yoga. i'll be going to a class on friday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't mind- I like reading everyone's fitness preferences. I find it inspiring lol

You are doing some degree of resistance work with yoga...that is what is important...you don't have to "lift"...but doing some kind of resistance work is very important to your overall fitness.

That said, you should not be worried about getting a "weight lifter's body" or whatever from lifting...those people using training programs very specific to that goal and are very dedicated to those programs as well as very specific diets (to include a surplus of calories) to put on mass...it doesn't happen by accident unless you have some really killer genetics. I lift regularly and don't have anything resembling a body builder's body...most people would describe it as a more stereotypical "beach body"...just sayin' there's nothing to be afraid of.

But again...you don't have to "lift"...it really just depends on your goals. My goals change throughout the year so my fitness follows suit...when I'm training for long endurance rides I spend most of my time on my bike and very little time in the weight room...maybe a couple days per week for 1/2 hour or something doing primarily body weight work and plyos or something to assist with my riding.

In the summer I tend to have a well balanced general fitness regimen where I lift a few days per week and make sure I get out and ride a good 80 miles per week or so just to maintain a decent base...this usually carries through to the fall.

In the winter I tend to do way less cardio work and spend the least amount of time on my bike and more time in the weight room where it's warm and the lights are on...then about this time of year (hints of early spring on the horizon here in NM) I start riding more again and by late spring and early summer I'll be hammering away the miles.