But, what if I don't want to lift?

Options
12346»

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I have tried riding to work before. It is about 20 miles of crazy roads. And in the end the workout wasn't that good. I find it was much more effective to drive and bring my bike and clothes with me to work, and just go for a ride on the trail after work. Then drive home. While I would certainly *prefer* to ride outside, I am fully aware that indoor training makes for a better workout. I do about half my bike time indoors even on the nicest of spring and summer days.

Wow that is a total threadjack... sorry

I guess it depends on where you ride. No way is riding inside better training for me. If I've spent a few weeks riding inside and then go outside, my decrease in performance is ridiculous. Seeing that right now after riding inside for 5 weeks. I agree with you, though, on the stopping. I hate the constant stopping. That is why from March - November, I ride in local cycling rallies/tours weekly. Often I can go 62 miles without ever unclipping.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I have tried riding to work before. It is about 20 miles of crazy roads. And in the end the workout wasn't that good. I find it was much more effective to drive and bring my bike and clothes with me to work, and just go for a ride on the trail after work. Then drive home. While I would certainly *prefer* to ride outside, I am fully aware that indoor training makes for a better workout. I do about half my bike time indoors even on the nicest of spring and summer days.

I guess it depends on where you ride. No way is riding inside better training for me. If I've spent a few weeks riding inside and then go outside, my decrease in performance is ridiculous. Seeing that right now after riding inside for 5 weeks. I agree with you, though, on the stopping. I hate the constant stopping. That is why from March - November, I ride in local cycling rallies/tours weekly. Often I can go 62 miles without ever unclipping.

If all you do indoors is spin I agree that is pointless. See the links I posted just above for how to *REALLY* work on your bike indoors.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Worse case just don't lift and don't be as fit as possible

Sorry but this makes me laugh. It really depends on what you define as "fit". There is zero reason to lift weights if you don't want to. You can be amazingly "fit" without weights.

Absolutely agree with this. Cyclists and swimmers who don't weight train are very good examples.

there are many cyclists and swimmers who do weight train...they aren't doing strong lifts or anything (because goals)...but most athletes I know, regardless of discipline do some kind of resistance work to varying degrees...and it also depends on if they're in season or not.

Absolutely. But that isn't my point. I can show you countless cyclists and swimmers that do no weight training and you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at them. They look like they lift weights.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Sorry but this makes me laugh. It really depends on what you define as "fit". There is zero reason to lift weights if you don't want to. You can be amazingly "fit" without weights.

Absolutely agree with this. Cyclists and swimmers who don't weight train are very good examples.

there are many cyclists and swimmers who do weight train...they aren't doing strong lifts or anything (because goals)...but most athletes I know, regardless of discipline do some kind of resistance work to varying degrees...and it also depends on if they're in season or not.

Absolutely. But that isn't my point. I can show you countless cyclists and swimmers that do no weight training and you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at them. They look like they lift weights.

Unless you count the fact that I do a bunch of planks/crunches/pushups as "weight training" I don't lift anything, yet I have a fairly build upper body. Nobody will mistake me for someone who actually spends time in a weight room, but I am far from a twig.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Is it your do not want to or you do not feel you have time? For me, the 30 Day Shred would get old after awhile. If you want light weights, her Body Revolution is a good program. Right now I use Chalean Extreme which is heavy weights with less reps. Depending on the weights you use (meaning if you have to adjust weight plates all the time) it can be between 30 and 45 minutes. It is three days of weights and two days of cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I could tell...I know a handful of semi-pro and professional cyclists and I can very much tell that they spend most of their time in the saddle and very little time in the weight room...that's not to say they don't look fit...they do look fit...but they don't look like they lift weights..but all of them do resistance work to some degree as it ultimately makes them better cyclists...they're just not out there doing a bunch of mass building type of lifting.

The notion that someone who does not lift weights will magically look like someone who does lift weight is absurd...that is not to say they aren't fit and/or don't look fit...pretty much every athlete I know looks fit as all hell..but they don't necessarily look like they spend any considerable time in the weight room.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

more and more pro triathletes are doing most of their riding indoors.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/11/training/pros-and-cons-of-bringing-triathlon-training-indoors_11167
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift your 4 kids.

BAM!
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lift your 4 kids.

BAM!

Well if that qualifies as lifting- this whole post was for nothing! Lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lift your 4 kids.

BAM!

Just make sure you clean and press them too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Cycling indoors just seems pointless to me and I get easily bored.

Well if I'm going to be watching TV anyway, might as well burn calories while I do it.

I do find the calorie burn pathetic though, compared to what I can do at the gym on a treadmill or elliptical (but it might be because my legs tire too fast if I crank up the resistance too).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift your 4 kids.

BAM!

Seriously, ever carried one and the next day you had DOMS....you're lifting!!