Wanna throw in the towel

Options
1235»

Replies

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    In my first month or two of losing, I struggled the most with patience. You are actually doing really great but you will probably find it so much easier if you let go of the impatience and anxiety and embrace the long game of learning great habits and settling into the change of lifestyle. 8lbs so far is AWESOME and you are not going to see a loss every week.
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    SandyBVTN wrote: »
    In my first month or two of losing, I struggled the most with patience. You are actually doing really great but you will probably find it so much easier if you let go of the impatience and anxiety and embrace the long game of learning great habits and settling into the change of lifestyle. 8lbs so far is AWESOME and you are not going to see a loss every week.

Yeah I guess I'm definitely going to need more patience as this is a long old road !! It's never been my strongest point lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your expectation level isn't attainable if you're thinking that losing 8lbs in roughly 3 weeks isn't good enough. Weight loss isn't linear. And honestly if you're ready to throw in the towel in 3 weeks, then maybe you're not ready to lose weight. Commitment over your LIFETIME is what it takes to take it off and maintain it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah I know ...it was a BAD DAY ...needed a kick up the butt ...got it ...I'm over it ..thanks though !!
    Good. Realize that success doesn't come fast and if it does, EXPECT failure right around the corner. Almost everyone I've encountered who have claimed fast weight loss in a month, ended up a month or so down the road, putting that weight back on plus more.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• size12girl2015
    Options
    The hardest part of this for me is patience. Some people's weight / size won't budge for a whole month. This IS why people give up or don't even start trying in the first place. If you've done this for two months and see no progress, then you can start complaining. Until then, there are a host of factors like water retention, macronutrients, muscle swelling and whatever else I've been told about that could be affecting your perceived progress. HANG IN THERE!!!
    Your expectation level isn't attainable if you're thinking that losing 8lbs in roughly 3 weeks isn't good enough. Weight loss isn't linear. And honestly if you're ready to throw in the towel in 3 weeks, then maybe you're not ready to lose weight. Commitment over your LIFETIME is what it takes to take it off and maintain it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah I know ...it was a BAD DAY ...needed a kick up the butt ...got it ...I'm over it ..thanks though !!
    Good. Realize that success doesn't come fast and if it does, EXPECT failure right around the corner. Almost everyone I've encountered who have claimed fast weight loss in a month, ended up a month or so down the road, putting that weight back on plus more.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I know it's a long road ..I'm sure I'll have a few bumps on the journey though ..think we all have bad days ..and that is all it was and I'm sure it won't be the last either
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So you lost 6 in a month and want to throw in the towel or quit?
    With your short time view of the world and urealistic expectations you wont't last long.

Figure out how to have a long term view or you will quit.

If you are only here to get people to affirm how much of a struggle it is or rant when told to go ahead ... well, you are going to end up quitting.

There is good advice here - weight fluctuations, expectations need to be realistic. Do you get it?

Ouch! Rude much?

She posted in the Motivation and Support thread and was looking for just that! Not comments about unrealistic expectations, etc... but good advice, encouragement not to quit, etc...

Size12girl2015, I think you knew you didn't want to quit when you posted today :) But that little pick me up and encouragement can be exactly what is needed when things are going well for a few weeks and you hit a stall on the scale.

Hang in there! I started this in March of last year, and despite a lapse in logging for a few months when work/life got busy, I have kept chugging along towards my goals. I do not believe in an all or nothing approach. I believe in baby steps, every food is good when enjoyed in moderation, etc... Feel free to add me if you'd like some extra support :)

Telling someone that they have unrealistic expectations and allowing them to adjust them is probably better than all the "you can do this, gurl" posts that are just going to generate frustration.

If you look at weight loss realistically you are likelier to adhere long term than when you build unachieveable goals, fail and bow out.

My post was direct - you can call it rude. That's ok - I'm not name calling or attacking the messenger.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have yet to see one person here who has succeeded long term while maintaining unrealistic goals.

Best of luck.