Muscly calves

Options
13»

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I get the post. I guess its genetics. My daughter says I have manly calves. My quads are puny so I really lack the balance. So, I guess that's all you can do, balance your body.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    YumiZoomi wrote: »

For some reason, this article p!sses me off. Run to slim calves?? Have you ever actually SEEN a runners legs? Jesus H. Christ at the NO in this article.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »

For some reason, this article p!sses me off. Run to slim calves?? Have you ever actually SEEN a runners legs? Jesus H. Christ at the NO in this article.

I assume they mean distance running in a caloric deficit to try to drop the fat around the calf without building the muscle too much. In any event, the web site was pathetic.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

NO.... JUST NO!!!!
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have massive calves and thighs due to constant hill walking in my day job, they used to be large but normal but now after 3years of up and down hills/mountains everyday they are massive!
    im trying to stretch them out with yoga as it was cardio that caused them to increase
    but I feel your pain! I have short legs so bulky calves means they look bigger plus sometimes normal trousers/jeans wont go past them never mind 'skinny' jeans (im a size 12- 14 at the waist but sometimes have to buy size 16+ for my calves)
  • randomtai
    Options
    I am dying to see pics of these "massive" calves claims. :laugh:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I also do not like those superskinnyme articles. Lose muscle mass on purpose? noooo! I feel that their approach is unhealthy and disordered. Stretching is good for the purpose of flexibility. You can find boots that fit by searching for plus size boots which either have larger calves all around or have elastic insets so they expand to fit. Torrid carries them, just as one example. I think it makes more sense to get boots that fit rather than actually trying to lose muscle to cram yourself into smaller ones!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for those who answered the question... I get that for guys it's great, but I'm not a guy. I don't like the way I look in dresses and I've never had any positive comments about them :/ I know others would love it but I don't, just like i love how others look and they don't. Anyway, at least now i know they're here for good, no point doing anymore searching.
    Your story is mine. When I was a teenager I absolutely hated my calves. I was a gymnast and they were huge. I couldn't roll up my jeans more than two or three inches. To compound it, I'm only 5'3". I thought my calves were my absolutely worst feature.

Fast forward 30 years and I love my calves. They have always been relatively large, rock solid and defined. I love wearing capri pants because I get to show them off without anyone seeing my fat knees and chunky thighs. They are now one of my best features.

As a side note, I have a male co-worker who lifts with me at the company gym a couple of days each week. He does heel lifts with hundreds of pounds of weight to try to increase his calves and they are only about 1/4 inch bigger than mine. I, on the other hand, refuse to work that part of my legs because I think they are awesome as they are and that they are already big enough. He is pretty envious.

As others have said, you're stuck with your calves; probably for life. They are what your genetics have dealt you. Learn to embrace them rather than hate them. There are a lot of people who would love to have them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The last time it was big calf week (tends to come after big thigh week and before arms too big week) on MFP I swore to myself that when it came around again I'd start doing more to directly train my calves. So here we are and now I have to follow through.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    pscarolina wrote: »
    lol...can be an issue in skinny jeans & forget most boots. I feel your pain OP. I wear a size 6 shoe so most boots my size won't zip over my calf. Maybe mine aren't as big as yours though 'cause I have never felt unfeminine because of them. Maybe I just haven't paid attention though haha

Yup! I'm in the same boat as a lot of the other posters. Weight loss helps a little, but those big muscular calves are just never going away. It's hilarious the comments that this must be a joke.....it isn't! As for the boots, I usually wear a 6.5 shoe, but I've found that I can wear a 7.5 knee boot (wide calf, of course) and put in an insole to take up the extra room in the shoe part. They're super comfy that way and have a bit of extra room in the calf. Also, I have better luck boot shopping online because you can search for wide calf and they usually have the boot's calf circumference listed. Just measure your calves and you'll know if they'll fit! :smile: Zappos and DSW both have good wide calf options and easy returns.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP, There are 2 pages of comments and not one supporting your claim.

what does that tell you?

People adore muscled calves. Don't you think it's about time you pamper what you have been genetically naturally gifted. Some people work hard for years to get them.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    These are mine.....boots and skirts are hard to find, because I'm also short. But they sure as h*** help getting up the hill on my runs :p Partly genetic...dad gave them to me...the rest is due to running, riding, biking, body weight training. Always had 'em, learned to luv 'em.

v5lnfsfi8nav.jpg
  • randomtai
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The last time it was big calf week (tends to come after big thigh week and before arms too big week) on MFP I swore to myself that when it came around again I'd start doing more to directly train my calves. So here we are and now I have to follow through.

Hahaha! Where's that BINGO card?