to shake or not to shake

Options
My question is this.....if i workout late at night should i still have protein after and what is the best protein for after a workout??without a protein shake??

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I use BCAA's after lifting.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Its up to you. Protein powders aren't a miracle for anything, they just make getting your daily protein quicker and more convenient.
    Eating late at night will not make you gain fat, contrary to what you have probably heard. Your OVERALL calories are what matter.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you exercise enough that you need protein at all, then you should consume protein within 30 minutes, no matter whether you are going to bed or not. Your body processes protein more readily after exercise and consuming protein during the short window when it does that can help prevent soreness.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Holy broscience batman. There is no need to immediately consume protein post workout. This is a very old, very dubunked, fitness myth. Bcaas are also not necessary unless your diet is low in protein to begin with. Bcaas are found in protein so if you are getting protein in your diet (which you should be) then there is literally no reason to supplement bcaas. The only way I can see one getting benefits from bcaas is to take them preworkout if you are training completely fasted. Even then, the evidence to do so is shaky at best.

To answer your question, just hit your calories and macro nutrients for the day. Timing of things is FAR less important for most goals. Here's a fancy chart that puts it better then I do:
    nutrient-timing-table_r4-01.png
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Nice info. Appreciate your sharing it... I have always thought the human body is pretty adaptive....
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I vote the "not" option.

Trust me - you're just giving your money away for no legit benefit.

If you're gonna do that, you can make it easier on everyone and just send it to me instead. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about shaking one's booty....guess I'll leave now.

I thought it was gonna be about shake 'n' bake, legit
    american-kraft-shake-n-bake-original-chicken-coating-mix-4-pack-box-311g-802-p.jpg

Meal timing isn't relevant for weight loss, only for personal purposes. I.e. if you are starving after workouts and a protein shake helps, then cool beans. If you find you have more energy eating it before a workout, then that's fine too. Or you can omit it if you are meeting your protein needs with other food sources. I now only use protein powder for emergency protein needs (no protein sources in fridge for lunch) or for baking. Or to add to smoothies and yogurt if I need to increase my protein.
  • TimothyFish
    edited January 2015
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Holy broscience batman. There is no need to immediately consume protein post workout. This is a very old, very dubunked, fitness myth. Bcaas are also not necessary unless your diet is low in protein to begin with. Bcaas are found in protein so if you are getting protein in your diet (which you should be) then there is literally no reason to supplement bcaas. The only way I can see one getting benefits from bcaas is to take them preworkout if you are training completely fasted. Even then, the evidence to do so is shaky at best.

To answer your question, just hit your calories and macro nutrients for the day. Timing of things is FAR less important for most goals. Here's a fancy chart that puts it better then I do:

Perhaps someone should tell the fitness experts that, because I've seen several articles on it in recent months and no articles suggesting that it is incorrect. Even your own chart mentions it in column two.
  • mynameisnotemily
    mynameisnotemily Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    Eating late at night will not make you gain fat, contrary to what you have probably heard. Your OVERALL calories are what matter.

True. But eating late at night--especially protein--is bad sleep hygiene. If you have problems sleeping, you should avoid it. (You should also avoid working out in the evenings in that case.)
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i workout at night too......and yes, a post workout shake is a good idea......liquid is easier for your body to digest that late at night......compared to say a chicken breast or something.......as far as recommendations, i really don't have any.....i honestly switch my protein brands up every time i run out.......this month it's muscle milk.....last month it was six star whey protein.....month before it was total soy.....etc.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you exercise enough that you need protein at all, then you should consume protein within 30 minutes, no matter whether you are going to bed or not. Your body processes protein more readily after exercise and consuming protein during the short window when it does that can help prevent soreness.
    No

That^^^^

Perhaps someone should tell the fitness experts that, because I've seen several articles on it in recent months and no articles suggesting that it is incorrect. Even your own chart mentions it in column two.
    You were told factual information, you just refuse to believe it you also never went back to address the post from earlier today address how much fat we oxidize per day and rate of loss.

You give out way to much false information around here and never accept the fact that you are incorrect. You'll never learn things being that way.

As the chart from Precision Nutrition states, timing of nutrition may be important for exercise lasting over an hour and is important for exercise lasting more than two hours. Why are you attacking me for saying the same thing, but giving more details?
  • vismal
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm not overly interested in what so called experts say. I far prefer research articles that are supported by cold, hard, science. Many fitness "experts" have a hand in supplement sales or are sponsored by supplement companies. It behooves the supplement companies for people to think meal timing is important. Stress the need for protein immediately post workout, sell more protein supplements.

As for the chart, it stands on it's own. The 2nd column does not apply to 99% of the MFP population including the OP. I'm assuming by the nature of the question the OP is not an advanced exerciser. He makes no mention of attempting extreme fat loss or extreme muscle gain, there is no mention of fasted training, and there is no mention of exhausting/continuous training > 1 hour. Typical weight lifting sessions are not continuous and contain breaks between sets. So OP does not fit the middle column which would make nutrient timing only "possibly important". The OP certainly doesn't fit the far column. Therefore if you go by the chart for the op, nutrient timing is "not very important."

As to research showing the not so importance of meal timing for most non extreme goals: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
    One of the authors is Alan Aragon, the guy referenced in the chart. This is a rather comprehensive review of the available literature and cites 85 other scholarly works.
  • vismal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No

That^^^^

You were told factual information, you just refuse to believe it you also never went back to address the post from earlier today address how much fat we oxidize per day and rate of loss.

You give out way to much false information around here and never accept the fact that you are incorrect. You'll never learn things being that way.

As the chart from Precision Nutrition states, timing of nutrition may be important for exercise lasting over an hour and is important for exercise lasting more than two hours. Why are you attacking me for saying the same thing, but giving more details?
    exhausted or continuous exercise, not just exercise. This does not included your typical weight lifting session where you take breaks between sets. This is more along the lines of an endurance event and has more to do with the ingestion of carbohydrates then it does protein.

• TimothyFish
    Options

I'm not overly interested in what so called experts say. I far prefer research articles that are supported by cold, hard, science. Many fitness "experts" have a hand in supplement sales or are sponsored by supplement companies. It behooves the supplement companies for people to think meal timing is important. Stress the need for protein immediately post workout, sell more protein supplements.

As for the chart, it stands on it's own. The 2nd column does not apply to 99% of the MFP population including the OP. I'm assuming by the nature of the question the OP is not an advanced exerciser. He makes no mention of attempting extreme fat loss or extreme muscle gain, there is no mention of fasted training, and there is no mention of exhausting/continuous training > 1 hour. Typical weight lifting sessions are not continuous and contain breaks between sets. So OP does not fit the middle column which would make nutrient timing only "possibly important". The OP certainly doesn't fit the far column. Therefore if you go by the chart for the op, nutrient timing is "not very important."

As to research showing the not so importance of meal timing for most non extreme goals: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
    One of the authors is Alan Aragon, the guy referenced in the chart. This is a rather comprehensive review of the available literature and cites 85 other scholarly works.
    No

That^^^^

exhausted or continuous exercise, not just exercise. This does not included your typical weight lifting session where you take breaks between sets. This is more along the lines of an endurance event and has more to do with the ingestion of carbohydrates then it does protein.

The OP never specified that what kind of workout, so I answered accordingly. It sounds like that for your workouts, no, it wouldn't apply. But my evening workouts are always at least an hour long and during the summer months they are two hours or more. I don't have rest periods built into my workout, because when you're on a bicycle, stopping means falling over. I don't usually worry about it for an hour long workout. Sometimes I'll drink a glass of milk, which is a quick source of protein. After a two or more hour ride, I turn to chocolate milk, since it has more carbs than regular milk. But in both cases, it is with the intent that I'll be eating shortly. The only time I'll drink a high priced recovery shake is when I'm riding some distance from home. You can usually throw them in the bag without being concerned about refrigeration. That isn't the case with milk.
  • robynbonugli
    Options
    Ok so then on nights when i do tae kwon do then for an hour then jump into krav maga for another hour...perhaps i should take a protein shake in between??? And just an fyi....i am a female not a male thanks!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Ok so then on nights when i do tae kwon do then for an hour then jump into krav maga for another hour...perhaps i should take a protein shake in between??? And just an fyi....i am a female not a male thanks!

If you want to, sure. If you are hungry between, then yeah go ahead. If your energy is still the same during both and you aren't hungry, then why bother?
  • robynbonugli
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

If you want to, sure. If you are hungry between, then yeah go ahead. If your energy is still the same during both and you aren't hungry, then why bother?