to shake or not to shake

2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Whoops....posted that too soon....its not about the hunger....its more so because i keep being told to have protein after a hard workout/cardio session to feed my muscles or i will ruin any progress i am making......its all so confusing to me

You will not ruin your progress, you're not building muscle in a deficit, you're maintaining it.
    I just want to lose about 30 lbs.......and tone up. If you have any tips on how to achieve this by may then im all ears! I have recently started calorie tracking and i find it very helpful.

Adding more calories is not going to help you lose quicker.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    bet I'm the only one singing 'haters gonna hate, players gonna play... I just wanna shake" now aren't I?

(never have a daughter)
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    ok no science here, i think you and i are in the same boat, need to lose weight, doing exercise and eating at a deficit, i DO take protein shakes, but only if I am miles off hitting my protein target that MFP has set for me, which by the way goes up once you log your exercise, however i think what folk are trying to say is, its personal preference., or only really vital if you are working at a proff level. In which case you would probably already know the score i guess.
    To answer your question I am in the UK and use holland and barratt cookies and cream flavour as the others made me feel like puking lol!, i take it with skimmed milk and usually throw some Chai seeds in it too. I may also have a protein shake if i am really close to hitting my cals, but feel hungry, as it def placates the need for me to snack, and it has to be better than a mars bar.
    good luck on your journey. x
  • pinkiezoom wrote: »
    ok no science here, i think you and i are in the same boat, need to lose weight, doing exercise and eating at a deficit, i DO take protein shakes, but only if I am miles off hitting my protein target that MFP has set for me, which by the way goes up once you log your exercise, however i think what folk are trying to say is, its personal preference., or only really vital if you are working at a proff level. In which case you would probably already know the score i guess.
    To answer your question I am in the UK and use holland and barratt cookies and cream flavour as the others made me feel like puking lol!, i take it with skimmed milk and usually throw some Chai seeds in it too. I may also have a protein shake if i am really close to hitting my cals, but feel hungry, as it def placates the need for me to snack, and it has to be better than a mars bar.
    good luck on your journey. x

Thank you! With so much advice it is so hard to know what to follow but i guess its trial and error! All i know is that calorie counting including protein shakes cant hurt me. I am just trying to seek out the most knowledge that i can and take pieces of everyones know how into my routine. It only makes sense to do what works for you! Good luck to you as well!
  • rabbitjb wrote: »
    bet I'm the only one singing 'haters gonna hate, players gonna play... I just wanna shake" now aren't I?

(never have a daughter)

Lol it actually crossed my mind while writing it...i cant lie
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Too c
    vismal wrote: »
    Holy broscience batman. There is no need to immediately consume protein post workout. This is a very old, very dubunked, fitness myth. Bcaas are also not necessary unless your diet is low in protein to begin with. Bcaas are found in protein so if you are getting protein in your diet (which you should be) then there is literally no reason to supplement bcaas. The only way I can see one getting benefits from bcaas is to take them preworkout if you are training completely fasted. Even then, the evidence to do so is shaky at best.

To answer your question, just hit your calories and macro nutrients for the day. Timing of things is FAR less important for most goals. Here's a fancy chart that puts it better then I do:
    nutrient-timing-table_r4-01.png

Perhaps someone should tell the fitness experts that, because I've seen several articles on it in recent months and no articles suggesting that it is incorrect. Even your own chart mentions it in column two.
    I'm not overly interested in what so called experts say. I far prefer research articles that are supported by cold, hard, science. Many fitness "experts" have a hand in supplement sales or are sponsored by supplement companies. It behooves the supplement companies for people to think meal timing is important. Stress the need for protein immediately post workout, sell more protein supplements.

As for the chart, it stands on it's own. The 2nd column does not apply to 99% of the MFP population including the OP. I'm assuming by the nature of the question the OP is not an advanced exerciser. He makes no mention of attempting extreme fat loss or extreme muscle gain, there is no mention of fasted training, and there is no mention of exhausting/continuous training > 1 hour. Typical weight lifting sessions are not continuous and contain breaks between sets. So OP does not fit the middle column which would make nutrient timing only "possibly important". The OP certainly doesn't fit the far column. Therefore if you go by the chart for the op, nutrient timing is "not very important."

As to research showing the not so importance of meal timing for most non extreme goals: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
    One of the authors is Alan Aragon, the guy referenced in the chart. This is a rather comprehensive review of the available literature and cites 85 other scholarly works.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you exercise enough that you need protein at all, then you should consume protein within 30 minutes, no matter whether you are going to bed or not. Your body processes protein more readily after exercise and consuming protein during the short window when it does that can help prevent soreness.
    No
    Holy broscience batman. There is no need to immediately consume protein post workout. This is a very old, very dubunked, fitness myth. Bcaas are also not necessary unless your diet is low in protein to begin with. Bcaas are found in protein so if you are getting protein in your diet (which you should be) then there is literally no reason to supplement bcaas. The only way I can see one getting benefits from bcaas is to take them preworkout if you are training completely fasted. Even then, the evidence to do so is shaky at best.

To answer your question, just hit your calories and macro nutrients for the day. Timing of things is FAR less important for most goals. Here's a fancy chart that puts it better then I do:

That^^^^

Perhaps someone should tell the fitness experts that, because I've seen several articles on it in recent months and no articles suggesting that it is incorrect. Even your own chart mentions it in column two.
    You were told factual information, you just refuse to believe it you also never went back to address the post from earlier today address how much fat we oxidize per day and rate of loss.

You give out way to much false information around here and never accept the fact that you are incorrect. You'll never learn things being that way.

As the chart from Precision Nutrition states, timing of nutrition may be important for exercise lasting over an hour and is important for exercise lasting more than two hours. Why are you attacking me for saying the same thing, but giving more details?
    exhausted or continuous exercise, not just exercise. This does not included your typical weight lifting session where you take breaks between sets. This is more along the lines of an endurance event and has more to do with the ingestion of carbohydrates then it does protein.

The OP never specified that what kind of workout, so I answered accordingly. It sounds like that for your workouts, no, it wouldn't apply. But my evening workouts are always at least an hour long and during the summer months they are two hours or more. I don't have rest periods built into my workout, because when you're on a bicycle, stopping means falling over. I don't usually worry about it for an hour long workout. Sometimes I'll drink a glass of milk, which is a quick source of protein. After a two or more hour ride, I turn to chocolate milk, since it has more carbs than regular milk. But in both cases, it is with the intent that I'll be eating shortly. The only time I'll drink a high priced recovery shake is when I'm riding some distance from home. You can usually throw them in the bag without being concerned about refrigeration. That isn't the case with milk.
    To clarify again, the chart does not refer to protein timing specifically. It refers to nutrient timing. For people doing 2 hour long cardio activities you probably want to have carbohydrates before, and possible during the event. Protein timing is still not really important providing you are getting an adequate amount throughout the day. If you read the research article I posted there is a whole section about having a mixed meal roughly 1-2 hours before training. Many times this meal can function as a pre, intra, and postworkout meal as it is digesting throughout the entire workout process. The bottom line is, unless you are an ADVANCED trainee, with ADVANCED goals, protein timing doesn't matter much at all. It's Far more important that you just get adequate protein for the day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    The OP didn't ask if she should be consuming a protein shake after a workout; she asked if she should be consuming it after a workout near bedtime. If we assume that she should be consuming a protein shake, then the answer to her question is that yes, she should consume it, even if she is going right to bed.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    The OP didn't ask if she should be consuming a protein shake after a workout; she asked if she should be consuming it after a workout near bedtime. If we assume that she should be consuming a protein shake, then the answer to her question is that yes, she should consume it, even if she is going right to bed.

Actually, she didn't say anything about bed, and she's asking if she should still have one. Since nutrient timing doesn't matter, there is no reason to have one unless she feels like it.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    giphy.gif
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

(never have a daughter)
    You WERE the only one singing it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • TimothyFish
    auddii wrote: »

Actually, she didn't say anything about bed, and she's asking if she should still have one. Since nutrient timing doesn't matter, there is no reason to have one unless she feels like it.

Where are you getting this idea that nutrient timing doesn't matter. As the chart in some of the previous posts points out, nutrient time does matter, just not for small workouts (less than one hour). But if her workout is that small, she probably doesn't need a protein shake anyway. But if her workout is significant enough to need a protein shake, then she should consume one, even if it is late.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    auddii wrote: »

Where are you getting this idea that nutrient timing doesn't matter. As the chart in some of the previous posts points out, nutrient time does matter, just not for small workouts (less than one hour). But if her workout is that small, she probably doesn't need a protein shake anyway. But if her workout is significant enough to need a protein shake, then she should consume one, even if it is late.

So, you missed the part that someone already explained the chart to you that A) very few people are likely actually falling into those categories and B) it's nutrient timing, and for long workouts carbs are going to be more important for recovery/maintaining energy levels during the workout. Her protein shake likely has next to no carbs.
  • TimothyFish
    We aren't talking about most people, but about a very specific person who, though she hasn't told us what her workout is, has apparently determined that her workout is sufficient to require a protein shake. If that protein shake happens to be something like a Gatorade G Series Recovery shake, then we're looking at 20g of protein and 46g of carbs. If she's not putting in a significant workout, then she might as well save her money, but we really ought to answer the question she asked.
  • Just for the record for everyone.....I currently eat a healthy breakfast then i have a protein shake which includes whey protein powder with only 1 gram of carbs along with spinach almond milk and berries. I eat 1 snack beyween lunch and dinner and i then eat lean meat with no starchy carbs just veggies or a whole grain pasta if at all. I drink water also. I stay within my calorie range and weigh and measure everything. I do tae kwon do 3 days a week which burns about 700 calories and usually go to the gym for strength and cardio training 3-4 days. I want to lose about 30 pounds, tone my muscles, and increase my strenght and glutes! I just heard you should have a protein shake after you work out to help your muscles recover quicker. I didnt know if this was true and that was my question.....i would not go over my calorie intake for the day if i were to have a shake. Just wanted to k ow if i needed to incorporate this or if i had to eat protein after or if i could just do nothing? I am not looking to add extra food due to hunger, I am just trying to give my body what it needs when it needs it....that is all.