weigh your oils and fats!

Options
I've never logged the oil I add when cooking. Today I discovered just 1 Tbs of oil is 120 calories :o I sometimes use up 3tbs in cooking, so that'd be 360 extra calories a day not accounted for! :'(

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Abso-fricken-lutely! Oils are pure fat, 9 calories per gram! It's one of the top things you should count.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Yup, Discovery is definitely part of the process.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    yep. I have a ton of recipes in the recipe builder for this very reason. that oil does add up!
  • Rebecca28186
    Rebecca28186 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try cooking wine or vinegar less calories
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm on it guys. Admittedly I have been a bit lax in counting little bits and pieces. But from now on, every single thing I eat will be accounted for.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yeah, it's a shame to waste so many calories on a few spoons of oil. So, cooking with vinegar is a substitute for oil? I never knew that
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Yup. The only thing I don't do is spices (too fussy and my deficit is big). But oil? Definitely.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's a shame to waste so many calories on a few spoons of oil. So, cooking with vinegar is a substitute for oil? I never knew that

If I'm frying up veggies I usually just use water. I use oil for eggs though........ nom nom :) Always log the oil myself!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yep. Definitely, a little goes a long way. I cook with much smaller amounts of oil now than I used to. The good news is that it lasts longer that way, which is great 'cause the good oils are expensive.

Christine, I know you posted the other day about wanting to increase your calories after a while of doing IF. I hope you realize that if you were actually eating hundreds more than you thought you were each day all this time, you need to recalculate your numbers.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Yep. Definitely, a little goes a long way. I cook with much smaller amounts of oil now than I used to. The good news is that it lasts longer that way, which is great 'cause the good oils are expensive.

Christine, I know you posted the other day about wanting to increase your calories after a while of doing IF. I hope you realize that if you were actually eating hundreds more than you thought you were each day all this time, you need to recalculate your numbers.

Yeah you're dead right! I'm doing a bit of experimenting at the moment. Will reassess in a few weeks. Thank you :) xx
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I've never logged the oil I add when cooking. Today I discovered just 1 Tbs of oil is 120 calories :o I sometimes use up 3tbs in cooking, so that'd be 360 extra calories a day not accounted for! :'(

I thought we were not counting calories dang it!!! Christine!!!! LOL!
  • Christine_72
    Options

I thought we were not counting calories dang it!!! Christine!!!! LOL!

Lol sorry. Yeah I am. I'm in the midst of working out my maintenance calories etc. However if I'm low in fat on some days I'll have a couple of spoons of coconut oil etc which always bumps me over, which I don't stress too much about
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I use a Misto spray bottle for EVOO and then wipe the oil around the pan with a pastry brush or paper towel. This makes a very thin coating for about a quarter of a tablespoon.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yeah oil is risky lol when I typed olive oil into MFP search though it did come up as 120 calories a tsp o:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yeah oil is risky lol when I typed olive oil into MFP search though it did come up as 120 calories a tsp o:

Oh crap! I'll go and recheck it
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

The olive oil I use is 120/Tbsp
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1Tbs extra light olive oil comes up at 120 cals
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging I all but quit fats and oils for awhile because calorie wise, bacon grease or EVOO are both bombs. But in doing that I actually started getting too little fat. I now really try to hit that minimum fat macro.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh it is tablespoon not teaspoon LOL maybe I've been over calcing it. Well yay.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh it is tablespoon not teaspoon LOL maybe I've been over calcing it. Well yay.

Lol you made my heart skip a beat then :o:p