weigh your oils and fats!

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do you use less with cooking spray than you do regular oil, I've never used the spray before
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Pam is your friend! 0 calories (per serving) and it cooks the food without sticking. I've even seen recipes that call for spraying potatoes with pam before roasting to help them brown without adding (many) calories.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Pam is your friend! 0 calories (per serving) and it cooks the food without sticking. I've even seen recipes that call for spraying potatoes with pam before roasting to help them brown without adding (many) calories.

Oohhh I'll take a look at that!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It's not a waste. Oil is good for you. Just figure out the right amount, it doesn't take much. This is a trick to get accurate weight of oil/butter, put the container on the scale, tare, then put however much oil you want to use (e.g., 1 Tb), and then put the container back on the scale. The negative number will be the weight of the oil you used.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Do you use less with cooking spray than you do regular oil, I've never used the spray before

Yes it doesn't need much. But also depends on what you are cooking. Sometimes I don't use the extra tbsp unless it's meat. I use the olive oil spray from woolies select brand.

I don't count it sometimes tbh (the spray - a lightly sprayed film) but if I add butter/oil I do. Using it with butter helps to stop butter from burning too fast as well and you don't need as much butter - the butter ends up being about added flavour.

I've noticed in the food data base that some have entered spray times for calorie count - 3 sec spray = x calories. God love em lol. Can't remember offhand what they are though.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Careful about adding water. Water and oil don't mix -- it's not just an expression, it's also true. Oil is lighter than water, and will rise to the top. Adding water to oil can cause the hot oil in the pan to splash and burn you when you cook.

Better to just use less oil and skip the water.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes, olive oil is healthy and good for you, but for the past 2 months I haven't used it. I use the non-stick spray, which I know is not natural, but it saves me 2-300 calories every day, and I need those.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yes, olive oil is healthy and good for you, but for the past 2 months I haven't used it. I use the non-stick spray, which I know is not natural, but it saves me 2-300 calories every day, and I need those.

Yep every calorie I can save helps, now that I'm down to my last 4kgs
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I log everything, including gum and spices, so oil is a given.
  • segacs
    Options
    You can get olive oil in a spray bottle. Or just buy your own spray bottle and put some olive oil in there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The good news is that most recipes can do with a lot less oil than they say they can. I usually use less than half of what the recipe says. Sometimes it's necessary, like if the recipe is for pesto for example. The key is knowing when it's necessary and when it isn't.

eta: baking is one time when you need to be exact.
  • segacs
    Options

Even baking leaves some room for experimentation. In some recipes you can substitute alternatives to oil, like applesauce or sour cream. It depends what you're baking and what results you're looking for, and it does take some practice. But I've never believed that "cooking's an art, baking's a science". To me, baking is art. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Even baking leaves some room for experimentation. In some recipes you can substitute alternatives to oil, like applesauce or sour cream. It depends what you're baking and what results you're looking for, and it does take some practice. But I've never believed that "cooking's an art, baking's a science". To me, baking is art. :)

True, but you can't just leave half the oil out and not replace it with anything. That's what I do with other recipes.
  • segacs
    Options
    True, but you can't just leave half the oil out and not replace it with anything. That's what I do with other recipes.

True dat.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight and I don't weigh absolutely everything. That would just not suit my lifestyle. I do eat out a little bit, and buy lunch at work etc. My husband does all the cooking and I don't expect him to always weigh everything so I just try and overestimate a little bit. I also add a caloric buffer in and don't eat all my exercise cals back.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's a shame to waste so many calories on a few spoons of oil.

I look at it differently - it's a shame to waste a tasty, healthy but high-calorie food just as a "cooking helper". I only use the bare minimum for cooking and prefer to consume my EVOO raw over salads so I can taste it :) All accounted for of course.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    What is EVOO? I've never seen it here in Aus
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

oh Doh :#:#

• segacs
    Options
    Oh, yeah. Me too. I buy generic no-name brand olive oil for cooking, which is cheap and comes in a giant bottle. I love the fancy good stuff, but I save it for salads and bread dips and such.

I was going through so much fancy olive oil beforehand. It was ridiculously expensive. Now I use it slowly and sparingly, just like it was meant to be used, and it's much more budget-friendly.

(Same with fancy chocolate... and fancy cheese... and all sorts of other foods that I splurge on now because I go through them slowly.)