Sweet Potato vs 'Normal' Potato

Options
1235»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The reason sweet potatoes are preferred over white is usually the glycemic load. White potatoes will usually cause a sharper spike in blood glucose than sweet.
    Nope, sweet potatoes have more overall calories because they have more carbs and sugar, with slightly more fibre.... either are fine.

Amount of sugar is not always a good indication of glycemic load. White potatoes have a higher GL.
    How is that possible considering sweet potatoes have more calories and carbs..... that's the way the GL works.

All GL charts I find, show white potatoes as about 26 GL, and sweet potatoes range from 11-20. Where do you find a chart that shows them similar?
    Potatoes come in more than 1 variety and can and do range from 8 on the GL to 33. Here's a pretty good site for this kind of information. [url="hthttp://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htmtp://"[/url]

The link didn't work. There may be white potatoes that have a lower GL than sweet, but most charts show the opposite, especially charts that use averages. And I still say this is the reason sweet potatoes are often considered preferable. If you read the articles from whatever agency is prefering the sweet potato, they will usually mention the blood glucose spikes.
    And the reason why your repeating it...I fixed the link. Oh, and your not alone in your assessment of white potatoes, Harvard for example believes people shouldn't eat them and says there as bad as sugar. Carry on.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love regular potatoes. I hate sweet potatoes. So for me, that solves that problem--I just eat the regular ones.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You can go sweet or savory with sweet potatoes anyway; if you don't like sweetness to your veggies, you can do salt, pepper, rosemary (other herbs you like) roasted in wedges or chunks in the oven. The salt balances it out. For sweet, I bake them whole, then I peel, put lots of cinnamon and a touch of honey on there and mash it in with a fork. Hubby did roasted rosemary (white) potatoes last night and that was hella good also.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I love homemade sweet potato homefries made with unrefined coconut oil.
  • gongol07
    gongol07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! Very useful. So, taste is the main difference, i'm not messing up losing weight by eating white pots rather than sweet. Sweet.

Never had sweet potato pie, but am intrigued and would love to try. Can one of you good Americans send me a slice?!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Eh, potatoes plus a pie crust isn't doing it for me. The potato cake thing looks intriguing.

However, potatoes are an instrumental piece of the shepherd's pie.

(I've made it with sweet potatoes, but better with potatoes, IMO.)

If you're a vegetarian, lentil shepherd's pie is better with mashed sweet potatoes. Or a mix of the two. At least I think it is. I've made it both ways, but prefer the sweet potatoes.

I'm not a vegetarian (I think shepherd's pie is best made with lamb, as the title would indicate, rather than the beef some would use), but I do love lentils and don't eat them enough, so I am going to experiment with that. Sounds good!