How Can I Lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks?

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    So on Valentine's Day, my boyfriend is coming home from the airforce and he has a huge Valentines Day celebration planned and I want to drop some weight before he arrives home. I'm currently 150 at 5'6. Any tips?
    At your current height & weight you're in a healthy weight range according to BMI. Granted, you're at the top of the range, but you're OK.
    So if you do want to lose weight, it's going to be slow. 0.5 lb in a week or two would be reasonable. To do that, figure out how much you normally eat in a day to maintain your current weight & subtract 250 calories.
    What would have more of an effect, though still not much in only 2 weeks, is weightlifting.
    Did you just find out about this visit? If not, why not start working on your health long ago?
    FWIW, if he's coming back from a deployment or basic training, he's going to rip your clothes off no matter what you look like.
    Truth. :grinning:
    Get some spanx.
    Yeah that's the worst advice for a girl seeing her man after a long deployment
    Get something flimsy, and rippable
    get a cute outfit, something you aren't going to mind getting ripped off you, and greet him with confidence
    This. :heart_eyes:
    make good food choices (cut out dairy, breads, and sweets)
    Well, the first part of that, yeah. But don't cut out any food group. Limiting simple sugars, sure, since they're rarely in healthy nutritious foods (other than fruits).
    regina wrote:
    I lost 6.5 pounds (pretty close to your goal of 10) in 2 weeks by logging everything I ate, not exceeding my 1,200 caloric goal, and exercising moderately ...
    I'm three pounds overweight, according to the BMI chart
    Even with only 30 lb to lose to get to a healthy weight, 3 lb a week is a bit much.
    For someone who's already at a healthy weight that's going to be impossible to do in a healthy way.
    (And if you're only 3 lb over a healthy weight, why does your ticker say you have 30 lb to go? Isn't that going to put you in the lower end of the healthy range... which will probably not look healthy, seeing as your picture already shows you pretty thin?)
    how is "toning up" different from trying to lose weight
    Substitute "body recomposition" if you prefer, or "muscle building".
    The goal is not to lose weight, but to increase strength & muscle mass, probably while losing some fat.
    It will look better, probably losing inches (or in her case, parts of inches) because fat is fluffy & muscle is dense.

51637601.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You don't.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote:
    instead of milk drink unsweetened soy milk. instead of coffee drink green tea which has caffeine and speeds up your metabolism. instead of yogurt have Greek yogurt. drink only water. keep calories under 1200. eat protein rich food within 30 minutes of waking up. even if your (sic) not hungry. this will speed up metabolism. these are some tips that have been helping me to lose weight fast.
    You're also starting with a 50-lb goal, so you're probably substantially over a healthy weight, unlike the OP.

The advice to eat a VLCD is bad. 1200 is the _minimum_ a woman of average height (which she is) should eat every day to ensure getting the nutrients her body needs. Someone who's very short could get away with less. I have 2 people on my friends list who are very short (5' or less) and they eat 800-1000 because it's reasonable for them.

And no, eating protein will not "speed up metabolism". Exercise does, even for an hour or so after you stop. Having more muscle does, but it's not a big enough change to matter.

Eating breakfast, esp. if you have about half your calories, is correlated with greater weight loss.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to lose 5 pounds a week all the time. It's totally doable.

Of course, I was doing chemotherapy, had multiple surgeries, and was living on Boost. YMMV. LOL.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote:
    instead of milk drink unsweetened soy milk. instead of coffee drink green tea which has caffeine and speeds up your metabolism. instead of yogurt have Greek yogurt. drink only water. keep calories under 1200. eat protein rich food within 30 minutes of waking up. even if your (sic) not hungry. this will speed up metabolism. these are some tips that have been helping me to lose weight fast.
    You're also starting with a 50-lb goal, so you're probably substantially over a healthy weight, unlike the OP.

The advice to eat a VLCD is bad. 1200 is the _minimum_ a woman of average height (which she is) should eat every day to ensure getting the nutrients her body needs. Someone who's very short could get away with less. I have 2 people on my friends list who are very short (5' or less) and they eat 800-1000 because it's reasonable for them.

And no, eating protein will not "speed up metabolism". Exercise does, even for an hour or so after you stop. Having more muscle does, but it's not a big enough change to matter.

Eating breakfast, esp. if you have about half your calories, is correlated with greater weight loss.

Sorry for your misunderstanding but...i meant eating breakfast within the first half hour of waking up is what speeds up metabolism...google it. You also mentioned 1200 calories should be the minimum of what the average woman should consume, that's pretty much what i said originally.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »

Of course, I was doing chemotherapy, had multiple surgeries, and was living on Boost. YMMV. LOL.

I totally lost 6 pounds last week.... I had a pre-op cleanse for a bowel resection that I had done on Friday. Then again post-op I'm "up" 7 pounds as of yesterday. Here I thought removing a hunk of my large intestine would give me awesome scale results. Still can't wear pants, sleep on my sides, get up from the couch with out it taking 5 minutes... But hey, I had a good week last week!!!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    UtahWI wrote: »

tumblr_ml3zjyGk2f1s2kzvmo1_500.gif

(but you know, not at the whole, cancer part)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    instead of milk drink unsweetened soy milk. - She have problems with milk?

instead of coffee drink green tea which has caffeine and speeds up your metabolism. - Coffee has this magic thing called ... wait for it ... caffeine!!

instead of yogurt have Greek yogurt. - I do love me some Greek yogurt, good protein. It's still yogurt though.

drink only water. - You just told her to drink green tea... :huh:

keep calories under 1200. - Nope. Hell no. Just no.

eat protein rich food within 30 minutes of waking up. - Why 30 minutes?

even if your not hungry. - Why eat when you're not hungry?

this will speed up metabolism. - :huh: Timed protein is magic apparently.

these are some tips that have been helping me to lose weight fast. - Uhm, well if you're eating below a healthy level of course you're going to lose weight fast ... right along with your muscle too.

Bolded added my me.

My eyes are rolling around in the back of my skull.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote:

Sorry for your misunderstanding but...i meant eating breakfast within the first half hour of waking up is what speeds up metabolism...google it. You also mentioned 1200 calories should be the minimum of what the average woman should consume, that's pretty much what i said originally.

Nope, that's still wrong. Your metabolism is always going. There's no "boosting" it. Dr. Google is not always a reliable source by the way. You should probably make sure it's backed by science and stuff.. which all I've read and experienced myself suggests that keeping a good metabolism isn't based on strict timing but personal preference and eating a proper caloric amount for ones bodily needs depending on activity, height, weight, etc.

Which, I'd be worried to suggest someone at her stats at a weight she is take something as aggressive as 1200 and be able to not lose a considerable amount of muscle. Without exercise at 5'3.5 " 120 lbs I can lose about 1 lb a week at 1650 average.

OP, if you haven't figured it out by now. 10 lbs in two weeks isn't going to happen.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cutting off limbs worked for me...

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 pounds my first week on MFP, and I didn't have much to lose!

Of course, I conveniently started the week of my period, so, you know....Water.

At her starting weight, she shouldn't be losing more than a pound a week for the first month, maybe .5 per week or less thereafter.

Maybe start doing some yoga, OP. You may notice your appearance changing to your liking, and I suspect your boyfriend might find your increased flexibility to be far more of a bonus than ten pounds he won't notice.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    instead of milk drink unsweetened soy milk. instead of coffee drink green tea which has caffeine and speeds up your metabolism. instead of yogurt have Greek yogurt. drink only water. keep calories under 1200. eat protein rich food within 30 minutes of waking up. even if your not hungry. this will speed up metabolism. these are some tips that have been helping me to lose weight fast.

Oh dear. So much no. I wish I had the bearded guy .gif

• LookAWalrus
    LookAWalrus Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    instead of milk drink unsweetened soy milk. instead of coffee drink green tea which has caffeine and speeds up your metabolism. instead of yogurt have Greek yogurt. drink only water. keep calories under 1200. eat protein rich food within 30 minutes of waking up. even if your not hungry. this will speed up metabolism. these are some tips that have been helping me to lose weight fast.

Oh dear. So much no. I wish I had the bearded guy .gif

WNYEj9G.gif
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Not happening.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Go out and buy a juicer then down load 7lbs in 7 days... I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks...didn't stay off long though and yep, haters gonna hate.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Go out and buy a juicer then down load 7lbs in 7 days... I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks...didn't stay off long though and yep, haters gonna hate.

Oh ya...I so jealous of your water weight loss that you didn't keep off.

dm5kz6.gif
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 in 2 weeks, yes it was water but I was momentarily slimmer which is what op is looking for as I understand it...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,this question should have been thought of a couple months back.