Low GI Foods / Snacks - Help & Advice Needed Please.

Options
Hello Everyone,

Seems that I need to start eating foods that are low GI. I'm not entirely sure what low GI even is....has anyone got any suggestions/tips to help me out.

Thank you in advance.
Steph xxx

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I believe low GI refers to foods that don't impact your blood sugar the way that simple carbohydrates (sugar) do. I assume you have diabetes or something similar?

Basically, you want to stick to foods that are made of complex carbohydrates or are low in carbs altogether. If you do a web search on GI diet, you'll find some good sites. The same if you search on "low carb diet".

Some ideas off the top of my head:

hard boiled eggs
    string cheese
    raw, green veggies
    hummus
    plain Greek yogurt (not the fruit flavored ones full of sugar)
    nuts
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Seems that I need to start eating foods that are low GI. I'm not entirely sure what low GI even is....has anyone got any suggestions/tips to help me out.

Thank you in advance.
    Steph xxx

Why do you need to start as the GI index isn't very useful outside of use for diabetics
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and apparently the best foods to eat for someone with PCOS are those which are slowly absorbed keeping blood sugar levels steady. These usually have a low glycaemic index (low GI).

I've been stuck for about a month with my weight going up and down and in the last month or so put on 7lb that I can't shift. My food intake has been the same and my exercise if anything has increased. So no clue as to why the weight isn't shifting.
    Apparently by having low GI foods, could help with my weight loss. I eat potatoes most nights, bananas (at least one a day - sometimes 2), porridge....

Please help me....

xxx
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Bananas are probably something to avoid. They are very high in sugar. Porridge and potatoes, too. Think green vegetables, lean meats, cheese, eggs, high fat dairy and nothing with a lot of sugar.

There are some groups here for those with PCOS. My understanding is that most of them benefit from a low carb diet, like Atkins or South Beach. You might want to check those groups out.
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice xx