Maintenance findings...4 months on :)

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Ideabaker wrote: »
    Thanks so much for posting your discoveries in your four months at maintenance! I find that maintenance is much less "straightforward" than weight loss, and hearing your findings as you navigate the path of maintenance is very encouraging. It is especially comforting to know that the weight gain as the body adapts to a higher calorie intake in maintenance is temporary, and that the body will settle into the greater quantity of food without undoing the progress of weight loss.

I hope you'll keep us posted as you continue to move forward in maintenance.

@Ideabaker ‌ Thanks for your comment, I will keep posting my findings each month on this thread so keep an eye out :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    This was great to read. I really don't think I would have the patience to up my calories, see the weight gain, and stick with it...I'm trying to get into maintenance now but I'm a hot mess.

@arditarose‌ 'hot mess' the mind boggles lol....be patient, don't let the scales rule your head! a full year ago I tried maintenance and kept cutting my cals when I saw the scale go up, I really shouldn't have because look at what patience and increasing calories lately has done for me! I feel empowered that I can eat so much more than I thought possible :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    The weight gain when you start your maintenance is just something that happens, its normal. When you eat more (start eating at maintenance your body stores the glycogen and glycogen comes with 4 grams of water causing the scale to go up a few pounds). It's not fat gain.

It's the direct opposite of that first week of your diet where you lose a heap of weight. Your not losing fat in that first week, you are losing water. Then when you start maintenance you are gaining that same water back.

@Kim55555 I hear ya and totally agree and accept this glycogen business even though most of us find it frustrating.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    thanks for sharing! I'm close to goal and worried about maintaining so good to read your success. well done!

@MandaLeigh123‌ Thanks and don't be worried about maintenance, it's great to have all those extra cals :smile:
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting!! I've been wondering if I should just switch to maintenance. I've been working out daily, eating healthy, logging most days, for a few years now. I can tell definite differences in my body, like strength, endurance, etc, nothing else has ever really changed. My weigh has stayed a constant all this time. Around 145 and I'm 5'5. I'm starting to think that this is just how I'm supposed to be. As long as I'm living a healthy lifestyle, nothing else matters right? At least that's what I have to keep telling myself!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting!! I've been wondering if I should just switch to maintenance. I've been working out daily, eating healthy, logging most days, for a few years now. I can tell definite differences in my body, like strength, endurance, etc, nothing else has ever really changed. My weigh has stayed a constant all this time. Around 145 and I'm 5'5. I'm starting to think that this is just how I'm supposed to be. As long as I'm living a healthy lifestyle, nothing else matters right? At least that's what I have to keep telling myself!!

@lauraripson‌ ‌ your body is at its happy weight :smile: go with it, that's what I did :smiley:
  • inthezone77
    inthezone77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Glad i stumbled over this. I'm trying to build up my calories now, have been sitting at 1500 for way to long but every time I try to up it i get bloated and feel fat so I drop the calories again. I think I need some more patience! I have good muscle tone and do heavy weights plus hiits, but i hold everything on my stomach.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @inthezone77 you do need to give it time when you up, more than 4 weeks at higher calories, the scale will go up but it WILL go back down, honestly it will :smile: keep up the great work!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Great job :D
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ive suffered with disorderd eating havits and am boosting my calories now
    Going to slowly work my way back up to normal again
    thanks for this post :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Ulwaz wrote: »
    Ive suffered with disorderd eating havits and am boosting my calories now
    Going to slowly work my way back up to normal again
    thanks for this post :)

@Ulwaz you're welcome, wishing you all the best as you reverse diet :smile:
  • tallbut
    tallbut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I've started maintaining today and it's great to read such positive things. I've not had a number in mind to start maintaining but got to a point where I feel comfortable in my clothes, feel fit and there's not much jiggling when I'm running.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    tallbut wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this, I've started maintaining today and it's great to read such positive things. I've not had a number in mind to start maintaining but got to a point where I feel comfortable in my clothes, feel fit and there's not much jiggling when I'm running.

@tallbut congrats on getting to this stage and wishing you maintenance success‌ :smile:
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people getting lost in maintenance because, all of a sudden, the thing that drives and rewards them (the scale number going down) is gone. Just seeing sameness every day isn't as gratifying.

You have shown how to replace that old reward system with a new one. Glad I stumbled onto this thread.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    @kim55555 you are the reason that I've been keeping on increasing my calories lol...I might do as you say but in this cold weather I just get hungry more so I reckon when it starts warming up I'll feel its easier to stay at 2100 then. Yesterday I ate 2400!! I just could not get filled. The thing is two days earlier I 'only' ate 1900 so it all balances out. It seems if my body gets 'under' fed one day, then the next two days its crying out to be fed all the time LOL. I'm still learning!

Yes, rebound hunger seems natural doesn't it? eventually it all comes back around!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    conangt87 wrote: »
    that is awesome. The reverse taper from a diet is the hardest part! You can still make progress towards fitness as well at maintenance. Now that your happy with your BF% you can eat enough to really train hard. Bravo, can't wait till I hit my reverse taper

Thank You, I have to say that I am really enjoying this part of my journey, once I got over the scale fluctuation thing :smile: I still have people ask me if I'm still losing weight, which I still love, cos I'm not, its my body composition thats changing.

Love it - what a great contrast to the many people who seem a little lost at maintenance.
    Enjoying your food, enjoying your exercise and being flexible - sounds like you have nailed it. :smile:
    yep, sounds like it! Probably at 2100 to 2300 you will fine if you don't over do excersize.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    Love to hear about success within my age group. COngrats!!!

btw, do you lift heavy or at all?

I do strength training using heavyish dumb bells and using Hasfit/Fitness Blender/Jessica Smith strength workouts ( I don't have access to a gym and am happy with the workouts I do to not feel the need to add anything extra into my workouts.) I have great muscle tone. I don't particularly enjoy strength, I do it to keep my muscle mass and help my bone density which is important as we age - my preference is to run/walk :)

Oh, now I get it, I just read how much you run before you go to work and your steps on fit bit, and now I read about your strength training lifting program! Well wow. Will you really do this the rest of your life?

• Gamliela
    Options
    Well done - What a great inspiration to us all. It helps to know that a healthy maintenance is doable. :o)
    Yes, if you can get up early run a lot, walk thousands of steps recorded by fitbit during work day, come home do housework and do the strength training she does, then 2100 cals seems, well, maybe not enough really. :( For such an active young woman.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Well done - What a great inspiration to us all. It helps to know that a healthy maintenance is doable. :o)
    Yes, if you can get up early run a lot, walk thousands of steps recorded by fitbit during work day, come home do housework and do the strength training she does, then 2100 cals seems, well, maybe not enough really. :( For such an active young woman.

@cloudi2‌ I like that you refer to me as young lol :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @cloudi2 will I do it for the rest of my life? Absolutely intend to while God gives me breath in my body and good health. Last week I had to rest 3 days due to sciatic pain and I reduced my cals to 1900 just in case, I know if I weren't as active I wouldn't need as much food.