• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    just awesome! great read
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Well done - What a great inspiration to us all. It helps to know that a healthy maintenance is doable. :o)
    Yes, if you can get up early run a lot, walk thousands of steps recorded by fitbit during work day, come home do housework and do the strength training she does, then 2100 cals seems, well, maybe not enough really. :( For such an active young woman.

@cloudi2‌ I like that you refer to me as young lol :smiley:

Well, honey, 40 sounds very young indeed when yur 65.!! :wink:

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    @cloudi2 will I do it for the rest of my life? Absolutely intend to while God gives me breath in my body and good health. Last week I had to rest 3 days due to sciatic pain and I reduced my cals to 1900 just in case, I know if I weren't as active I wouldn't need as much food.
    It would be better to increase your nourishment for healing your back, its time to rest and eat more actually. 2500 would be ok for recooping from an injury, take care, I was hospitalized for sciatica,not fun!!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What a great post. I am still working on losing but this thread has given me an idea of how to transition to maintenance when I get to that point. Thank you!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @cloudi2 and there was me thinking that I needed to cut back asap, when I was heavier I used to have months of sciatic pain, it was awful, there was no getting comfortable and constantly being on anti-inflammatories. Since I lost weight I only get the odd bouts of it and usually from bad form during a strength training exercise. Thankfully it only strikes about once a year. Thanks for your advice :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @jemhh I'm glad that you enjoyed it and wishing you every success in reaching your goal :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I've heard of people getting lost in maintenance because, all of a sudden, the thing that drives and rewards them (the scale number going down) is gone. Just seeing sameness every day isn't as gratifying.

You have shown how to replace that old reward system with a new one. Glad I stumbled onto this thread.

@Ithames0810 glad to have been of some help :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Well done - What a great inspiration to us all. It helps to know that a healthy maintenance is doable. :o)
    Yes, if you can get up early run a lot, walk thousands of steps recorded by fitbit during work day, come home do housework and do the strength training she does, then 2100 cals seems, well, maybe not enough really. :( For such an active young woman.

@cloudi2‌ I like that you refer to me as young lol :smiley:

Well, honey, 40 sounds very young indeed when yur 65.!! :wink:

lol..I'm nearly 46 but I get your point :smiley:
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    @cloudi2 will I do it for the rest of my life? Absolutely intend to while God gives me breath in my body and good health. Last week I had to rest 3 days due to sciatic pain and I reduced my cals to 1900 just in case, I know if I weren't as active I wouldn't need as much food.
    It would be better to increase your nourishment for healing your back, its time to rest and eat more actually. 2500 would be ok for recooping from an injury, take care, I was hospitalized for sciatica,not fun!!

Ahh, good point! Yep good idea
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    @cloudi2 and there was me thinking that I needed to cut back asap, when I was heavier I used to have months of sciatic pain, it was awful, there was no getting comfortable and constantly being on anti-inflammatories. Since I lost weight I only get the odd bouts of it and usually from bad form during a strength training exercise. Thankfully it only strikes about once a year. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Hits like button
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @kim55555 thank you for hitting the like button :smiley: -
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

I get the feeling you want us all to go up a BMI level or three.

She'll gain weight if she's goes over her maintenance level. That isn't good for backs, joints or general health.

• Springfield1970
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting!! I've been wondering if I should just switch to maintenance. I've been working out daily, eating healthy, logging most days, for a few years now. I can tell definite differences in my body, like strength, endurance, etc, nothing else has ever really changed. My weigh has stayed a constant all this time. Around 145 and I'm 5'5. I'm starting to think that this is just how I'm supposed to be. As long as I'm living a healthy lifestyle, nothing else matters right? At least that's what I have to keep telling myself!!

@lauraripson‌ ‌ your body is at its happy weight :smile: go with it, that's what I did :smiley:

I don't think she sounds happy about it though!
  • Springfield1970
    Options

'SEEMS' being the operative word here! But reality is reality. If you want to be healthy body fat percentage, slim and fit into nice clothes, it's worth finding the correct numbers of the weight you will be happy at.

Personally I get MIS ER A BLE over 130lb, but my reward is a highly efficient machine in the top 1% of fitness for my age. And I couldn't give up turning heads, and my gorgeous younger boyfriends either! Seriously, my features get all hidden and my butt and legs get out of proportion if I gain above 130-133. I look every year of my 44 years, my confidence goes and alongside it my posture. I feel heavy when I run, and generally tired. I LOVE being 19/20 BMI Or 15-18% body fat.

Here's the logic. If she wasn't eating enough there's no way she would have the energy to do all of that and feel so good doing it too!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @Springfield1970‌ Thanks for your comment. I don't feel ever that I need more cals when I eat at 2100-2200. Unless I have a very high cardio day, then I eat a little more. When I'm not as active 1800 is enough. I listen to my body and this works for me. I'm in the best shape of my life and have realised for me it's not always about the scales but about my stats which are just fine in my opinion (and I frequently get complimented on my physique) :smiley: Saying I have loads of energy I'm feel I'm doing things right.

It sounds like you are at your happy place, congrats :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    UPDATE - 10 March 2015
    It turns out I can't eat as many calories as I thought!!
    I'm now at 6 months into maintenance and after upping gross calories to 2100 mid January, for 3 weeks now my weight has consistently stayed at the higher end of my goal range which I don't like.
    I have had to re-evaluate my intake and think about what was the overall cause of this small gain... and its simply that on Saturdays, which is what most of you would call my cheat day, I eat whatever I want - it turns out I have been eating up to 3000 cals!(its hard to log take away accurately) yep! And I do this every week! Now 3000 isn't too bad for someone as active as me, but when I upped my overall calories throughout the week in January to 2100/day, that meant my deficit became non- existent, in fact I was eating a little too much!
    Anyway, I have adjusted my intake now to reflect my one high day as I enjoy having a day when I don't have to think or worry about calories. The other days I will eat at 1900 and that will leave me in deficit overall by 1000 calories each week.
    Maintenance continues to be a learning curve!
    Watch this space!
  • desi9837
    desi9837 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting these updates; they have been really helpful in my own journey of trying to maintain my weight. I've been maintaining my weight (between 60.5 and 61.5) for a little more than a month now and have made many findings.

I found that I became obsessed with numbers and making sure I was eating enough calories. Recently, I began wondering when I began to obsess because before I wasn't like this. Before, I would just keep to small portions but eat whatever I wanted. Reflecting on the good habits I took on as I lost weight, I realized that in order to maintain I was throwing away those good habits I worked so hard to keep.

Because of this, I've just decided to go back to those old habits:
    1. Drink a cold cup of water every morning and every hour.
    2. No afternoon snaking. (I find that just eating 3 meals in good for me)
    3. No fruit after lunch.
    4. Low-carb dinners as recommended by my doctor. I'll eat carbs, just less that I would normally eat during lunch.
    5. If offered a dessert or snack, only eat a small portion.
    6. No need to log every gram. Just eat intuitively and go for small portions in general.
    7. Get lots of sleep.
    8. Try to move your body whenever possible.

I still think that writing what I eat is very important, so I will continue logging. However, I don't think I will measure everything as precisely as I have been doing these past two months because doing so made me feel like I was restricting myself so much. So what I'll do now is buy a journal and write what I ate and how I felt (as recommended by the Blogilates channel).

I'm aware this might not work for some, but it's the least stressful and realistic way for me to maintain my weight in the long term. Hope this helps others!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @desi9837 thank you for your detailed and informative reply :smile:
    I thought I was at the stage I could dispense with logging my food but its not going to be something I can ever stop, I just lose track of how much I'm eating.
    You've made some great points and I agree with the majority of them, I'm not bothered about low carb, I keep an eye on my intake but each to their own.

Wishing you all the best for maintenance :smile: Its still a learning curve for most of us.

• scrappyhappymom
    scrappyhappymom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I just reached my goal and am going on maintenance. You are so inspiring!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This is such an amazing post / thread! I'm bookmarking this, because I know I will want to read back over it when I reach the point when I am ready to go into maintenance :blush: