5' 8". I weigh about 218lbs, but I'm trying to get to 186lbs to join the United States Air Force

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    xgray213 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Oh and I did spoke to a recruiter on the phone today and he said that he can't do anything until I meet the exact height and weight requirements. So, I told my parents about it and my stepfather says, "Lose the weight!"

Um....what?

BTW, what do you tape? I made ht/wt approximately 5 times in my 8 year career, but always blew my PT test and tape out of the water.

The maximum weight requirement for my height which is 69'' has to be 186lbs.

What is your BF%, that's what I'm asking. Unless the service has actually made it harder to get it, you can make tape (BF%) without making weight. I didn't make weight a MEPS, I made tape.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Oh and I did spoke to a recruiter on the phone today and he said that he can't do anything until I meet the exact height and weight requirements. So, I told my parents about it and my stepfather says, "Lose the weight!"

Um....what?

BTW, what do you tape? I made ht/wt approximately 5 times in my 8 year career, but always blew my PT test and tape out of the water.

What is your BF%, that's what I'm asking. Unless the service has actually made it harder to get it, you can make tape (BF%) without making weight. I didn't make weight a MEPS, I made tape.

I'm not sure what branch you were in, but I think it is branch-specific. When I went through MEPS, I had to meet a weight requirement. Once I was actually in, weight didn't matter. I had to have a certain waist measurement along with passing the running, pushups, and situps portion of the PT test.
  • RGv2
    Options

Um....what?

I'm not sure what branch you were in, but I think it is branch-specific. When I went through MEPS, I had to meet a weight requirement. Once I was actually in, weight didn't matter. I had to have a certain waist measurement along with passing the running, pushups, and situps portion of the PT test.

It must be...Turning away qualified recruits because they weight "too much" is beyond me....
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I was in the Army from 1994 to 1997 and folks were kicked out for being overweight. My experience has been Navy was the most relaxed on standards followed by Air Force, Marines was the most stringent. Work with your recruiter (most are always under quota but that depends on the branch, economy, and location - Air Force had the most stringent IQ requirements and normally had their picks). Most branches are in the same location so it may be good to talk to other recruiters but just be up front about it. They are always working with someone to bring them up to minimum standards so maybe you can join the workouts. Be prepared to do morning PE. Also it may not hurt to have a high ASVAB score. Recruiters wouldn't bother if there are many qualifying candidates and each has it's own as well as office quota. It doesn't hurt if you check around. Also check if there is an JR ROTC/ROTC around you can link up. Good luck.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I saw the other side, guys and girls in various branches (mainly army and marines) who were in trouble because they weren't making weight. Depending on branch, your command, and the current zietgeist, it can be a huge struggle to be military and have weight issues. If you are flagged you can't get medals, promotions, and you can be kicked out. A lot of people were doing ridiculous and unhealthy things to make weight.

I would highly recommend that you think of any changes you make as PERMANENT, REALISTIC, and HEALTHY. You are going to have to keep it up for the duration of your time in the military. Going on crash diets, taking supplements, etc., extremely bad idea. Also make sure that you can maintain BELOW (not right at) the maximum weight. You probably should be looking into how they will do taping too. That could either work in your favor or against you depending on your body shape.
  • RGv2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »

I was in the Army from 1994 to 1997 and folks were kicked out for being overweight. My experience has been Navy was the most relaxed on standards followed by Air Force, Marines was the most stringent. Work with your recruiter (most are always under quota but that depends on the branch, economy, and location - Air Force had the most stringent IQ requirements and normally had their picks). Most branches are in the same location so it may be good to talk to other recruiters but just be up front about it. They are always working with someone to bring them up to minimum standards so maybe you can join the workouts. Be prepared to do morning PE. Also it may not hurt to have a high ASVAB score. Recruiters wouldn't bother if there are many qualifying candidates and each has it's own as well as office quota. It doesn't hurt if you check around. Also check if there is an JR ROTC/ROTC around you can link up. Good luck.

Yes, you can get kicked out of the Army for being "overweight", that would also include failing the BF% test (tape). As I stated in my initial reply, I think I may have made weight a total of 5 times in 8 years, but never had getting "kicked out" or getting flagged even brought up because I was so far under BF% requirements.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yes, you can get kicked out of the Army for being "overweight", that would also include failing the BF% test (tape). As I stated in my initial reply, I think I may have made weight a total of 5 times in 8 years, but never had getting "kicked out" or getting flagged even brought up because I was so far under BF% requirements.

AF is similar. Once you're in, they don't really care about the number on the scale as long as you're a good representative of a fit airman while in uniform. Basically, don't look like a fat *kitten* in your dress blues. Anybody that fit that category went to the fat kid flight until they lost weight. Even if they failed their PT test, they had to fail twice in the same year and be recommended by their CO for discharge. It rarely happens.
  • kcjchang
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I saw the other side, guys and girls in various branches (mainly army and marines) who were in trouble because they weren't making weight. Depending on branch, your command, and the current zietgeist, it can be a huge struggle to be military and have weight issues. If you are flagged you can't get medals, promotions, and you can be kicked out. A lot of people were doing ridiculous and unhealthy things to make weight.

I actually had to "baby sit" those that were being forced out in my last year of service (made E5 after two years and got all the *kitten* jobs because I was the lowest ranking NCO in my battalion for having the lest amount of time in service). Most were for drug or disciplinary problems but a few was not making standards - weight and fitness.

I got crap for not making tape but was overlooked because my PT test was never under 270ish and I was fit, just can't run fast. And yes, promotion is hard when you can't exceed minimal standards. The DA photo shows all!
  • xgray213
    xgray213 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just weighed myself today, and it said that I gain one pound. I figured that it's because I ate a pack of Dr. Pepper flavored Hubba Bubba chewing gum. Guys, I really need some help because I tried to show up for PT yesterday, but the Army recruiter heard from one of the female participants that I talked to them about enlisting into the Air Force and he said that I can't run with them if I'm thinking about joining the Air Force while shadowing the PT program that's only reserved for the Army recruits and people trying to get into the Army.

Any more suggestions?
  • xgray213
    Options
    I weighed myself today and I am a 216lbs.
  • kcjchang
    Options
    I recently joined a bicycling club and we use meetup for scheduling club rides. There is a number of others groups in my area that shows up on it and might be a good place to get encouragement/group work out. Check for local fitness clubs (or Google search), running etc, and see if you can join up.
  • xgray213
    Options
    I recently joined a bicycling club and we use meetup for scheduling club rides. There is a number of others groups in my area that shows up on it and might be a good place to get encouragement/group work out. Check for local fitness clubs (or Google search), running etc, and see if you can join up.

Well, I've been shadowing into the Army's Early Delay PT program for a couple of days now to lose more weight. Then last Tuesday, I acidentally opened my mouth and told one of the female army recruits that I was thinking about joining the air force and then they told one of the Army recruiters about it. So now, I'm in a pickle. I had a discussion earlier with my parents about joining the Air Force to get my degree so I can get a career in Criminal Justice, but I need to meet the maximum weight requirement in order to get enlisted. But, the thing is, I've been showing up to the Army's PT program every Tuesdays and Thursdays and now they say I can't take advantage of their running program if I'm thinking about getting into the Air Force.

Any Suggestions?!
  • kcjchang
    Options
    Until you sign on the dotted line, you are not committed. Yes it's *kitten* but it's up to you how to handle it.
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm a Army vet, and even though I loved what the army has done for me, stuck with the air force no matter what. I believe the Air Force is much more suited to service members that want to transition to the civilian workplace after their first enlistment and getting a degree. That army program maybe off limits to you, but see if the air force has a program you can take advantage of.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Honestly OP, you know what you need to do. Eat less, Move more. Do the exercises everyone on here has already said....You don't need PT or a fancy gym or equipment...just the will to do it. Weigh yourself no more than once a week, log everything, and you will reach your goal.
  • xgray213
    Options
    lvillani81 wrote: »
    I'm a Army vet, and even though I loved what the army has done for me, stuck with the air force no matter what. I believe the Air Force is much more suited to service members that want to transition to the civilian workplace after their first enlistment and getting a degree. That army program maybe off limits to you, but see if the air force has a program you can take advantage of.

Thank you.
  • xgray213
    Options
    Guys, Earlier this week, I weighed myself at 211lbs. Now, I weighed myself to be at 214lbs. I'm about this close to my goal. Am I doing something wrong? Because I really need to meet that weight requirement to get enlisted into the military right now because my 28th birthday is coming up and I can not afford to keep living with my parents for a whole year. I have a life of my own to live.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates all the time. It's normal to be plus or minus a few pounds.
  • xgray213
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Weight fluctuates all the time. It's normal to be plus or minus a few pounds.

Thank you.
  • xgray213
    Options
    Hey guys. I've been weighing myself in the buff everyday when I work out? Is it normal for me to do that, or should I weigh myself with my clothes on?